Actual effects of Bunkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maniac asked:
    Isn't there any way at all to avoid that bunker capture?
    Artillery can smash an empty bunker.

Maniac also asked:
    I'm not sure I understand you. If you place five bunkers in a row on your only magtube towards the base, won't you have to waste five rovers before reaching the base?
    The unit that captures the bunker is not lost, it is just stopped in the bunker, losing any remaining MPs. It can move normally next turn. In a way, what you wrote is true: That unit is "lost" to you for any other task, but only for that one turn. And yes, if there are five bunkers in line, you need five separate units to take them if you want to do it all in one turn.

Any of your units entering the space after the capturing unit continue unimpeded, including on the same turn it was captured. If you know you will capture a bunker, send an infantry unit in first so your rovers can roll on through after.

Also, the bunker is now yours, even if all your units exit the space, leaving the bunker intact but empty. It remains yours until an enemy unit physically enters the space to recapture it.

Bunkers are worthwhile as part of a properly prepared multiple Land/Air/Sea defense, along with SAM and AAA units, Aerospace Complexes, and Orbital Defense Pods. Put one in a Forest with a Sensor and assign a Crawler there. Dot your shore line with them.
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Also, the bunker is now yours, even if all your units exit the space, leaving the bunker intact but empty. It remains yours until an enemy unit physically enters the space to recapture it.
      Oh I didn't know that yet. Yet another thing learned. I always assumed you had to capture all bunkers in enemy territory, and had to recapture them once you left them for a turn.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

*will have to try sprinkling empty bunkers along mag tubes, bases and coasts as defense sometime*
        Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

Comment

I have never used bunkers before but they seem to have some interesting uses
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Oh I didn't know that yet. Yet another thing learned. I always assumed you had to capture all bunkers in enemy territory, and had to recapture them once you left them for a turn.
            Actually, maniac, in my game if you leave a bunker unoccupied for a turn, you have to recapture it. So I think you are right.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Bunkers are absolutely horrible if you have a fungal bloom in one.
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Finally, I have used bunkers offensively to take a position and hold it right next to an enemy base.

Comment

Here's another place to stick a bunker:
                  If you've gone green and can build in fungus, put a bunker in there and garrison some mindworm boils in it. Nasty.
                  I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillybj
                    Here's another place to stick a bunker:
                    If you've gone green and can build in fungus, put a bunker in there and garrison some mindworm boils in it. Nasty.
                    The major problem with worms, etc., is that they are extremely vulnerable to artillery. You may want to put some artillery in that bunker as well.

Comment

Just be careful with empty bunkers in defense. Later in the game, I love to do the following thing to the AI:
                      Stack a lot of 1-1-1DropTrained (or 1-1-2DropTrained) units, together with some DropProbes and a DropColony pod. Playing with 0 Morale and with Command Centres and Bioenhancement Centres in the building bases, the 1-1-1 units should be elite. Then drop them in an empty bunker near AI territory. AI loves to build lots of empty bunkers. The turn you drop them, upgrade your 1-1-1 to something more nasty, a few ECM and AAA units among them, the rest with best weaponry. Usually, the AI doesn't dare to attack you (and a careless human player realizes the threat one turn too late and will have serious losses ...). The turn after, build a city in a convenient place and/or take an enemy city.

(orbital insertion: more )
                      Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned that a probe team can move freely through a bunker - so as long as you have probes along, your units will never have to stop for a bunker if you don't want. Just move a probe in first, then move your other units through. Air units work just as well.

Comment

Also fly an air unit over the bunker and tell it to wait, then mover your ground units through it before moving the air unit off.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Bunker are a good place to keep beer cold.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Here's a neat terraforming combination for the base square, if you have the time and desire to build them all:
                              Sensor + Bunker + Forest.
                              It will enhance the base's combat defense. The "Blink" Special Ability bypasses only Perimeter Defense and Tachyon Field, not Sensor and Bunker.

Comment

gwillybj, I can't seem to figure out what the bunker does to help my base defense...

The bunker is displayed, alright ... but when attacked I see no change in the stats

hmm, maybe I'm doing it all wrong...

Btw, didn't check the forest enhancement, since I play with a 1-1-0 forest production edit in my alpha.txt, which is the best thing that happened to my SMAC/X in the past years

Comment

Working...
                                X