• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ned
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubin
    Maybe I'm missing something, but:

1) I usually find myself planting forests everywhere (except on special resources and a few boreholes) ... building tree farms and hybrid forests. This makes terraforming a bit tedious, IMO. I feel that farms, solars and mines often comes in second compared to forests - and forests do not produce eco damage (I think).

2) The AI rarely plants forests in my games. So, I have to agree with Googlie. That is, to make forests less attractive to human players.

Now, if I could get the AI to plant forests and build those tree farms and hybrid forests, things would look different. But sadly I can't.

Ned, I believe you have a point that I'm completely missing ... maybe you could elaborate?!?
    I actually have been fairly successful in getting the AI to build forests - try out some of the modification I have suggested heretofore. However, one normally has to do all the terraforming oneself simply because an automated former will not build forests. But, if one never builds forest, perhaps....

You know, the thing they really have to fix, both in SMACx and CIVIII is the automated former. It would be great if you could set rules for the former other than the ones they now provide, such as whether or not to plant fungus. As far as I can tell, no automated former of mine has ever build a single forest or borehole. Both, though , are the most desired type of terraforming.

Leave a comment:

• Rubin
    replied
    Maybe I'm missing something, but:

1) I usually find myself planting forests everywhere (except on special resources and a few boreholes) ... building tree farms and hybrid forests. This makes terraforming a bit tedious, IMO. I feel that farms, solars and mines often comes in second compared to forests - and forests do not produce eco damage (I think).

2) The AI rarely plants forests in my games. So, I have to agree with Googlie. That is, to make forests less attractive to human players.

Now, if I could get the AI to plant forests and build those tree farms and hybrid forests, things would look different. But sadly I can't.

Ned, I believe you have a point that I'm completely missing ... maybe you could elaborate?!?

Leave a comment:

• Googlie
    replied
    Ned:

Surely the reverse. If the AI won't build them, then make them less attractive for the human player to build - sorta levels the playing field - no?

G.

Leave a comment:

• Ned
    replied
    Rubin, This seems counter-intuitive. Most of us have been trying to figure out ways to get the AI to build forests. You, simply penalize them, forcing the human player elsewhere. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Rubin
    replied
    Well Ned, it's just a simple edit in the alpha.txt making forest squares produce 1 nutrient, 1 mineral and NO energy (1-1-0). The default settings are 1-2-1.

Basically this makes forests less attractive, leaving room for more advanced terraforming - especially on arid worlds (=more fun IMHO).

... but I guess you already knew that! Sorry for being so unclear...

Leave a comment:

• Ned
    replied
    Originally posted by Rubin

Btw, didn't check the forest enhancement, since I play with a 1-1-0 forest production edit in my alpha.txt, which is the best thing that happened to my SMAC/X in the past years
    Huh? What does this do and how does this help?

Leave a comment:

• Rubin
    replied
    gwillybj, I can't seem to figure out what the bunker does to help my base defense...

The bunker is displayed, alright ... but when attacked I see no change in the stats

hmm, maybe I'm doing it all wrong...

Btw, didn't check the forest enhancement, since I play with a 1-1-0 forest production edit in my alpha.txt, which is the best thing that happened to my SMAC/X in the past years

Leave a comment:

• gwillybj
    replied
    Here's a neat terraforming combination for the base square, if you have the time and desire to build them all:
    Sensor + Bunker + Forest.
    It will enhance the base's combat defense. The "Blink" Special Ability bypasses only Perimeter Defense and Tachyon Field, not Sensor and Bunker.

Leave a comment:

• Lefty Scaevola
    replied
    Bunker are a good place to keep beer cold.

Leave a comment:

• Lefty Scaevola
    replied
    Also fly an air unit over the bunker and tell it to wait, then mover your ground units through it before moving the air unit off.

Leave a comment:

• vitamin j
    replied
    I don't think anyone mentioned that a probe team can move freely through a bunker - so as long as you have probes along, your units will never have to stop for a bunker if you don't want. Just move a probe in first, then move your other units through. Air units work just as well.

Leave a comment:

• Adalbertus
    replied
    Just be careful with empty bunkers in defense. Later in the game, I love to do the following thing to the AI:
    Stack a lot of 1-1-1DropTrained (or 1-1-2DropTrained) units, together with some DropProbes and a DropColony pod. Playing with 0 Morale and with Command Centres and Bioenhancement Centres in the building bases, the 1-1-1 units should be elite. Then drop them in an empty bunker near AI territory. AI loves to build lots of empty bunkers. The turn you drop them, upgrade your 1-1-1 to something more nasty, a few ECM and AAA units among them, the rest with best weaponry. Usually, the AI doesn't dare to attack you (and a careless human player realizes the threat one turn too late and will have serious losses ...). The turn after, build a city in a convenient place and/or take an enemy city.

(orbital insertion: more )

Leave a comment:

• Ned
    replied
    Originally posted by gwillybj
    Here's another place to stick a bunker:
    If you've gone green and can build in fungus, put a bunker in there and garrison some mindworm boils in it. Nasty.
    The major problem with worms, etc., is that they are extremely vulnerable to artillery. You may want to put some artillery in that bunker as well.

Leave a comment:

• gwillybj
    replied
    Here's another place to stick a bunker:
    If you've gone green and can build in fungus, put a bunker in there and garrison some mindworm boils in it. Nasty.

Leave a comment:

• Ned
    replied
    Finally, I have used bunkers offensively to take a position and hold it right next to an enemy base.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X