Actual effects of Bunkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actual effects of Bunkers

Do they actually provide a defensive bonus, or are they only good for protecting units in the field from artillery bombardment? In my present games, I almost never indulge in the construction of bunkers, but if they can help me hold a chokepoint against a determined assault, I might start.

They add 50% to any unit in it. I think they don't have a pasifism penalty either.

Comment

In addition to the above, units destoyed in a bunker will not cause collateral damage to other stacked units.
      "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

eh, I don't bother making bunkers. I usually make other units that intercept invading forces beforehand. I'd rather have my units in the city, where its safe.
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I'll agree that the tactical situations in which a bunker is useful are pretty limited, but I've had a few, for example, when taking on a much larger, similarly teched AI faction. Being unable to sustain momentum in conquering them wholesale (and unable to afford to build enough military to blow them up in one go), I'll often gobble up enough bases to reach a defensible choke point, then let them break themselves on my defenses. A well placed bunker will give me more flexibility in where I can place my choke point, and until the advent of Tachyon Fields, a bunker on rocky terrain is as good as any base with perimeter defenses.

Comment

If your enemy develops nerve gas and air power, you might find bunkers useful for storing your units away from your bases.

The same can't be said of airbases, though.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Bunkers may be good at choke points. and vacant bunker out a few tile from the city on the only road stop the point unit cold with a "bunker captured" message.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                Bunkers may be good at choke points. and vacant bunker out a few tile from the city on the only road stop the point unit cold with a "bunker captured" message.
                ....which is SO damn annoying....
                "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                  It's so annoying when that happens
                  Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Touche
                    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

check-point, road block, speed bump
                      Last edited by gwillybj; May 2, 2003, 01:04.
                      I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Isn't there any way at all to avoid that bunker capture? If not, building bunkers around all your bases is perhaps the best defence available in the game.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

well not really you can just fly over them as usual then your 3 or 4 rovers following up on the empty cities only need to take 1 bunker and you're into enemy territory.
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand you. If you place five bunkers in a row on your only magtube towards the base, won't you have to waste five rovers before reaching the base?
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Perhaps, but there's nothing there that won't stop a chop n' drop, or an amphibious landing. There's no point in investing more energy on a fixed fortification than the cost your enemies would pay to circumvent it, otherwise you're just hemorraging money for no good gain.

Comment

Working...
                              X