No announcement yet.

Can a base be starved to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gwill, I'd like to point out that contrary to what you say I did NOT deviate from the original question.

Indeed mine was the ONLY reply strictly on topic.

The other posters correctly reported that you CAN'T *STARVE* a size-1 base, you can only *abandon* it by building the last Colony Pod.
    Abandoning sorts the same effect in practice, but strictly speaking it's not like starving...

I was the only one to suggest the only way which *in theory* could bring to *starve* a size-1 base (apart from the random *uncontrollable* negative event reported by thread starter).
    Whether *in practice* it is then easy or convenient to do it that way, this is quite a different matter.
    I didn't even bother to check if the game actually *allows* that effect to take place, or if some safety mechanisms interrupts at last moment the orders convoying nutrients out of the starving base...
    I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Of course, if you have the Planetary Transit system, a size-1 base in an awkward position can be replaced by a size-3 base in a much better position...
      The PTS is a pretty cool SP, if you ask me. Used correctly, you can create massive amounts of population seemingly out of thin air - great for kicking that evil AI out of the Planetary Governor seat
      "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Plus add the Empath Guild...

I remember that there was a rule in patched SMAC that if modified lets you obliterate bases without it counting as atrocities. Do I recall this correctly?
        ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
        ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

Originally posted by Cybergod
          I remember that there was a rule in patched SMAC that if modified lets you obliterate bases without it counting as atrocities. Do I recall this correctly?
          I don't recall if it was in the original release or included in a patch, but yes, there is a switch in alpha.txt and in alphax.txt, which when changed between 0 and 1 sets obliteration to not be an atrocity

Comment

I screwed it up again

MariOne You are correct!
            I humbly admit my error
            The conversation is a bit convoluted, and I did not read carefully or think clearly before writing.
            I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

stating the obvious

An enemy unit could finish a size one city off... I'm not sure if a probe team can 'genetic warfare' a city to oblivion or not.
              "Never underestimate the human aptitude for stupidity"

Comment

Re: stating the obvious

Originally posted by Spacecow
                An enemy unit could finish a size one city off... I'm not sure if a probe team can 'genetic warfare' a city to oblivion or not.
                You can also kill a size 1 city by attacking units in it with Nerve Gas (no matter how many units in the city)
                ... This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality...
                ... Pain is an illusion...

Comment

OR... kill a size TWO base with Nerve Gas, if there's only one defender in base (1 citizen lost for halving b/c of gas, 1 lost b/c last dfeender killed. Buster found out this one).
                  It should even work with single-garrisoned size THREE base (as gassed populatilon is rounded *down*, gas makes size 3 become 1...), but I never tested it.

As you can't gas your own bases, all this has nothing to do with the topic
                  I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Working...
                  X