Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWSFLASH! A meteor has hit one of your bases leaving a huge crater!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions:

1. So, if I would want to see a meteorite crash, I would have to build a huge base with as much ED as possible, right? And play on Transcend.

2. When the event occurrs, can you actually see the meteorite fall, like in the beginning when the colony pod falls to the ground?
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

. So, if I would want to see a meteorite crash, I would have to build a huge base with as much ED as possible, right? And play on Transcend.
      You are right about the base (not necessarily the biggest base you have, but certainly the most productive - and ED also plays a key role, of course). But you don't have to play on Transcend always. I've been hit in two different games, one on Librarian and the other on Thinker.

2. When the event occurrs, can you actually see the meteorite fall, like in the beginning when the colony pod falls to the ground?
      No. You just get a message and, when you look, there's no more base...
      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFred
        Xian, I will try to answer some of your questions.

I think you will find that Ned's experience is very much the exception. Meteor strikes are rare events. We have speculated in the past what factors make them more likely to happen, but it is just speculation. For me it has only happened in SMAC, never SMACX. A big, productive base seems to be the most likely target. In both instances I got nailed I also had a considerable lead, at least double anyone else on the might chart. The likelihood of some other random events increases if you have the lead, so perhaps that is a factor.

So it is a rare, random event. The randomness of it seems to be somehow set at the start of the game. I had a .sav ten years prior to a meteor hit and tested by replaying from my saved game several times. By playing differently I could change the date of the strike by a year or two but I was never able to play without getting nailed in that particular game.

I expect that you would get extra minerals out of your new crater, but I confess that in both instances I got hit that I just abandoned the game. So I can't really answer your questions about sympathy from the AI, but I highly doubt it. The never seem to care about other random events that hit you.

No chance that someone PB'd you. When that happens you get a big mushroom cloud and a chunk of planet torn away. No nice crater, usually just a lake that we like to call a "fission" pond.

As far as where to rebuild, it is difficult to know without seeing your map. I tend to not alter my regular city spacing for the Garland Crater, I just keep it the same as if there were no crater there. Others, including the AI, seem to prefer a single base in the centre of the crater.
        thanks

Comment

oh, byu the way, i ALWAYS play with maps as big as possible

Comment

I have yet to notice a meteor hit. But I have seen the crater left by a strike ( Garland Crater, then another crater elsewhere ).

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
              You are right about the base (not necessarily the biggest base you have, but certainly the most productive - and ED also plays a key role, of course). But you don't have to play on Transcend always. I've been hit in two different games, one on Librarian and the other on Thinker.
              Thanks. I have played dozens of times on Librarian and Thinker, but... I guess I'm too nice towards Planet to be punished like that

No. You just get a message and, when you look, there's no more base...
              That is a downright shame.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I just thought of something that would really create a tense situation to the player: The asteroid strike could happen not in one, but in three turns; turn one, you get a nice animation showing the asteroid approaching the Planet, and a message saying something like "Sir, our scientists detected a huge asteroid coming to the Planet!"; turn two, the animation appears again, this time the asteroid is even closer, and a message says "Sir, we have no estimate on what may be the impact site"; turn three... BOOM! The asteroid hits one of your bases. This would create a huge expectation on the player, and I think it would maintain the unpredictability, since the asteroid may hit any of your biggest bases...
                On the other hand, we basically know that the event almost always happens at your most productive base, and this "three-turns-to-go" thing would draw the player to some frantic activity trying to minimize the damage...

Anyway, something for SMAC2, I guess...

Comment

Alex, Wow! Now that is a good idea! Ned
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                    I just thought of something that would really create a tense situation to the player: The asteroid strike could happen not in one, but in three turns; turn one, you get a nice animation showing the asteroid approaching the Planet, and a message saying something like "Sir, our scientists detected a huge asteroid coming to the Planet!"; turn two, the animation appears again, this time the asteroid is even closer, and a message says "Sir, we have no estimate on what may be the impact site"; turn three... BOOM! The asteroid hits one of your bases. This would create a huge expectation on the player, and I think it would maintain the unpredictability, since the asteroid may hit any of your biggest bases...
                    On the other hand, we basically know that the event almost always happens at your most productive base, and this "three-turns-to-go" thing would draw the player to some frantic activity trying to minimize the damage...

Anyway, something for SMAC2, I guess...

When you get the message at the first turn you also gets the option to send away a 2-spaceship crew with deepocean oil-drillers armoured with nukes.
                    It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by knowhow2
                      When you get the message at the first turn you also gets the option to send away a 2-spaceship crew with deepocean oil-drillers armoured with nukes.
                      Or:
                      You are given the opportunity to sacrifice a number of your Orbital Defence Pods. You have to determine the number of those pod's in turn one. The amount of pods would determine the chances of the asteroid being destroyed. The asteroid could be also be partially destroyed (inflicting a minor damage), or the trajectory of the asteroid could be changed... you could use the asteroid as an ultimate weapon
                      I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Think about Provost Willis...

You are given the opportunity to sacrifice a number of your Orbital Defence Pods
                        I like the idea. It gives the player a new and dramatic choice, especially if he/she is involved in some threatening war at the time of the asteroid strike.

Comment

Or fly a ship called "Messiah" inside it...

Originally posted by aaglo
                          you could use the asteroid as an ultimate weapon
                          But, I thought mass drivers were outlawed by any civilized nation!

Maybe the asteroid could be diverted to orbit Chiron and be used as a mining platform, like Nessus, or maybe a captured asteroid could be the prerequisite of Space Elevator, for the end station.

There should also be various asteroid sizes, from a base-buster to the ones sized Texas . And maybe the Planetary Council would decide, whether all factions should try to counter the latter ones, to prevent extinction.

Comment

yknow, I almost never get hit by random events, and when I do (maybe once a game) they are usually ones that get converted by facilities to good ones, or the occasional mineral/nutrient/energy bust.

I believe this is because the base to be hit randomly is determined randomly from all bases on planet, and then that base has to meet certain requirements for the effect to actually occur. Since I typically build less than 20 bases, and my opponents build 40+ (depending on AI power), they tend to be the targets (provided they qualify) instead of me.

Never seen the Asteroid, haven't seen the satelite destruction ones in a year, and rarely see any others. In my last/current game, I've seen four to date (MY 2380) and they were two on me (+1 nuts/10 years, all farms/forests destroyed) and two on opponets (prometheous virus, solar collectors destroyed). I have about 40 bases in this game, more than usual because I'm trying Doctrine : Defense style.

The lesson here is fewer bases. Efficiency teaches the same lessons, which is why I started playing that way in the first place.

I almost never see sea level rises or volcanoes either, but that's because their eco-damage related.
                            Fitz. (n.) Old English
                            1. Child born out of wedlock.
                            2. Bastard.

Comment

Fitz, Clearly your style of play keeps you immune. IIRC, the Asteroid always hits before tree farms when the following is true:

You are the leading faction by at least +50% at 20 turns prior to being hit

You are producing ED on a relatively constant basis and have experienced at least one pop.

And you have your most productive and developed base at a location where the asteroid can hit and leave a crater hole entirely on land.

If these conditions are met, you get hit - otherwise you see a volcano erupt in the ocean.

The volcano, at least in my game, does not cause dust. However, the Asteroid strike does cause dust that reduces all energy per square by 1.

Ned
                              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

That explains why I have never gotten hit (and only one volcano)--I have never had a landlocked heavy industrial base.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X