Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEWSFLASH! A meteor has hit one of your bases leaving a huge crater!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWSFLASH! A meteor has hit one of your bases leaving a huge crater!!!!!

WHAT THE F*!%!!!!! Has this nightmare ever happened with anyone else?

It was the year 2100 excactly, and a huge thigy DESTOYS once of my best hive bases

Fortunatle, it was only in the PROCESS OF BUILDING the empath Guild, and i lost nothing of real importance except people... so the only real immediate effect was population loss, and im the hive so it doesnt matter

Questions

1. just like with the Garland Crater (I think thats what its called), what are, if at all, the resource benefits of this new crater?

2. were other factions supposed to be showing pity and mercy for this tradgedy? CAuse they arent now

3. What would you do? Ive lost all the enhancements i built there, how should i rebuild?, right in the middle again? Make two to the sides?

4. Was this a random act of fate, or am i somehow responsible? Can it happen again? Im pretty sure ive caused no ecopnic damage anywhere, and planet cant just summon the stars can she? I dont have the add-on installed on the computer im playing it with, so the alien factions arent responsible... perhaps someone sent me a planet buster and "disguised" it to look like a natural event?

HELP!

The meteor crash is perhaps the worst of the random events. The only way to avoid this is to turn off the random events before you start the game. People who have looked at this believe there is a function where the meteor is most likely to hit a good base of the leading faction (evening out the game a bit)

Of the random events I personally hate the one where solar flares take out your satellites. I might have 10 bases needing the food and suddenly all the food sats are gone. Thats why I usually turn off whatever needs to be turned to avoid those things.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Heh! heh!

Just finished a game as Morgan where Nessus (the moon) was struck twice(!) by an asteroid!? Both times, the 'steroid hit right after my nessus mining satellite count matched the size of my largest base. That's not as bad as getting a major base waxed by an asteroid, though. I haven't had that one happen to me... yet!

As Morgan, the most common catastrophe seems to be the energy market crash, which always occurs just as you are contemplating rush building some key SP.
      Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

WOW! I didn't even know that could happen. It's never, ever happened to me at all!
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Count your blessings Mr. President. I have been hit twice. My HQ and first science city in both cases.

I am guessing that Xian means 2200 rather than 2100. 2100 isn't too serious.

Comment

To this date I've play more than 100 games of SMAC/X and the asteroid stikes have NEVER ONCE happened to me (okey I only have random events on maybe half that time) so I would say that it's kinda seldom event when it comes to random events.

-knowhow2
            It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

I get Asteroid hits in about a third of my games. I have had two games in a row where the Asteroid hit my most productive base. In one game, I actually had three Asteroid hits - top that anyone!

What really frosts me is the SP's I lose. In one game, I even lost the HSA, which made the game real interesting.

I notice the hits only come when you are the leading faction and you are producing ED. This appears to be Planet's very subtle way of reducing ED.

Ned
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I was once hit by an asteroid to a base I conquered a few turns earlier. And in one game the asteroid destroyed Morgan (AI) HQ
                Does it ever happen that the asteroid hits to non-city square? I've never seen this. Nor that the asteroid hits a seabase...
                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
                  Does it ever happen that the asteroid hits to non-city square? I've never seen this. Nor that the asteroid hits a seabase...
                  Nope, in the same way that the volcano random event always occurs in an unoccupied area of sea, the asteroid somehow always finds a juicy SP-rich land base

Comment

Actually, it does not necessarily hit an SP rich base. It hits your most developed base or the base having the highest mineral production. Which it hits is also limited by the criteria that the Asteroid must hit far enough into a landmass to form the crater.

Given the above, one can almost plan for an Asteroid hit by building a strong inland base, separated from other bases. Build up its infrastructure and its mineral production to #1, but build no SPs in it.

Ned
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Ned has a Librarian.... aaglo has a Librarian....., a guy could get confused for less
                      It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

I have never had an asteroid strike in all my months of playing SMAC (touch wood touch wood touch wood). I've had volcanic eruptions aplenty, maybe one every two games, maybe more often if I'm unlucky.
                        I can play on maps with no Garland Crater in sight, and yet avoid crater strikes. I don't know how it happens - in the early game I usually SP-cram into my biggest min-producing base, although in recent games I've beelined to Ind Auto and built crawler fleets to take that base down to average and pump the mins into another base for SP production.

Maybe I'm just lucky!
                        "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

i still would like to get some of my questions answered, and yes, i meant 2200 (although 2100 would END MY ENTIRE GAME)

I apologize for spoiling the surprise of anyone who this hasnt happened too, although its not really pleasant, i figure sombody probably wouldve laughed at it if it hadnt been for me

Comment

Xian, I will try to answer some of your questions.

I think you will find that Ned's experience is very much the exception. Meteor strikes are rare events. We have speculated in the past what factors make them more likely to happen, but it is just speculation. For me it has only happened in SMAC, never SMACX. A big, productive base seems to be the most likely target. In both instances I got nailed I also had a considerable lead, at least double anyone else on the might chart. The likelihood of some other random events increases if you have the lead, so perhaps that is a factor.

So it is a rare, random event. The randomness of it seems to be somehow set at the start of the game. I had a .sav ten years prior to a meteor hit and tested by replaying from my saved game several times. By playing differently I could change the date of the strike by a year or two but I was never able to play without getting nailed in that particular game.

I expect that you would get extra minerals out of your new crater, but I confess that in both instances I got hit that I just abandoned the game. So I can't really answer your questions about sympathy from the AI, but I highly doubt it. The never seem to care about other random events that hit you.

No chance that someone PB'd you. When that happens you get a big mushroom cloud and a chunk of planet torn away. No nice crater, usually just a lake that we like to call a "fission" pond.

As far as where to rebuild, it is difficult to know without seeing your map. I tend to not alter my regular city spacing for the Garland Crater, I just keep it the same as if there were no crater there. Others, including the AI, seem to prefer a single base in the centre of the crater.

Comment

I don't know if this is a factor in why I get such a high percentage of Asteroid strikes, but I routinely play on maps larger than huge. This forces one to use "custom." My typical map selections are the center choices of the three, save for native life, which is set for "abundant." I also normally play with standard rules. Always Transcend.

In all cases when I got hit, I was the leading faction. I may not have been double the second place faction though.

In every case, I got a ground hit before tree farms, with satellite hits typically after I begin to build Orbital Power Generators.

I all cases that I remember, I was getting ED and had experienced at least one pop.

However, I do not believe the size of a city has any relevance to whether it is going to be hit. In my last game, my smallest base, a size three base, got hit. It just happened to be my most productive - with the most infrastructure as well.

Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X