Secret projects in a multiplayer game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret projects in a multiplayer game

I often see people promote one Secret project or another as necessary or crucial. However in MP you often won't get all the projects you want since there are other talented players out there fighting to get them. In one of my games the projects are divided as follows ( obviously this is all common knowledge among the players)

Note list edited as per mongooses corrections

Player A (Drones): Merchant Exchange, Human genome project, Command nexus, , Planetary Energy Grid, Hunter-Seeker Algorithm, Planetary Datalinks, Pholus mutagen 7 in all

Player B (University): Virtual World, , Empath Guild, Neural amplifier, Supercollider, Cloudbase Acadamy, Cloning Vats (6 total)

Player C ( Drones): Weather Paradigm, Maritime Control Centre, Ascetic Virtues, Longevity Vaccine, Living Refinery, Theory of Everything (6 total)

Player D (Spartans): Xenopathy Dome, Cyborg factory, Citizens defense force, Planetary Transit System 4

My point ? .. . not quite sure I have one . . . seriously though, this game demonstrates how Special projects can get distributed in a very competitive Multiplayer game. "A" went for the early projects and then took a tech sidetrip for the PEG. "B" ignored thhe early projects to get to Ind Auto. "C" went for the WP and then got little until the midgame. "D" picked up a couple of projects when it could.

Who will win?? I haven't the slightest clue but it is fun to play . NO one single Special project is winning by itself ( yes except the Ascent you smart alex types). I also believe that it really improves your playskills when you have to attack a player who has the CBA, or try to regain a tech lead when they have the HSA or cross an ocean against an opponent with the MCC. Too often in single player we get used to crushing an AI when we are benefitting from these projects-- Its a different story when your favorite project is in the hands of a wily opponent

Correction:

CDF is D, not A. PTS is D, not B.

Both the PDL and the Pholus are A.

And, of course, C just captured the Cyborg.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Oh yea, and sometimes it can be amazing when you watch somebody sneaks behind you and your pact brother's sensor webs and into his central territory, and burns the VW. See all the bases flagged with big red Drone faces ...

[Edit]typo
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Although in MP the Empath Guild and the Cloning Vats are a bit overpowerful.

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Correction:

(I am A to Flub's C.)

The point that in a competitive game, you frequently have to just grab whatever project you can manage when the opportunity presents itself. The best laid plans can be disrupted by one base losing a single mineral or energy (crawler killed) which delays by a turn a tech discovery or the production of that rover supply you need to upgrade to build the SP you really want. Add in the uncertainty of even being able to research the tech needed for the project you want....

It's a jungle out there! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
          Oh yea, and sometimes it can be amazing when you watch somebody sneaks behind you and your pact brother's sensor webs and into his central territory, and burns the VW. See all the bases flagged with big red Drone faces ...

[Edit]typo
          Woah there, am I understanding you right - it's possible to permanently destroy SPs with Probe Teams? Is this only in Multiplayer? (Guess this is what happens when the AI rarely get good SPs )

Comment

Not directly with probe teams, no. But...mind control the base and use its garrison to obliterate it.

Comment

Ah, I see. It always seems like such a waste against the AI, but I guess in multiplayer its better no-one has it than risk it falling back into enemy hands.
              And am I the only person who doesn't like committing atrocities? It just seems so mean to those poor citizens. Its not their fault they chose the wrong faction to live in

Comment

Those 'poor' citizens had no choice either about the faction in which to live. They're just born in it as we all are. For better or worse...
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Why HongHu ... someone slipped through sensors and destroyed a Secret Project? How could that have happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose
                    Correction:

Thanks for the corrections- I went from memory and for some reason thought that B had the PTS since I keep encountering size 3 and 4 bases LOL. I should have known you had the Pholus and Datalinks to go with your impressive list.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

But does not really expect to hold it LOL

Comment

The point that in a competitive game, you frequently have to just grab whatever project you can manage when the opportunity presents itself. The best laid plans can be disrupted by one base losing a single mineral or energy (crawler killed) which delays by a turn a tech discovery or the production of that rover supply you need to upgrade to build the SP you really want. Add in the uncertainty of even being able to research the tech needed for the project you want....

It's a jungle out there! LOL
                        Exactly-- I know that some projects are second choices and there are always tradeoffs . A grabbed most of the early projects after C went after ONLY the WP. B went tech tech tech to grab some key projects. D cherrypicked, seeming to make tech trade deals with B and agreeing to share the resulting available SPs

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

Although in MP the Empath Guild and the Cloning Vats are a bit overpowerful.

-Jam
                          perhaps but this combo, even with the CBA added, is NOT clearly winning the game. Right now its a tight tight race.

The Empath Guild Holder is NOT governor right now and all opposing factions are easily boomable

Comment

Produce like a madman and tech like crazy.
                            I'm playing the Uni. it is 2104.
                            No projects have been gained yet (although Morgan's started the ME).
                            I'm looking for the HGP and the VW. (Damn Uni Drones)

I'll take what I can get, but if I get my staple:
                            HGP, VW, PTS
                            then I'll go base-crazy and get massive labs output.

Comment

Working...
                            X