No announcement yet.

Pressure Domes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still wondering about whether or not there is a known pattern to the sequence of adjusting elevations.

Warning Micromanagement post
    The basic situation is when you have a tile at elevation 10 (marked endangered) and one adjacent tile > 1000 at say 1020 and a sealevel increase of say 50. If the elevation 10 tile is hit first, it will only be washed and would subsequently continue to be dry land at some new seemingly arbitrary elevation, say 275. OTOH, if the 1020 tile is adjusted first, then it will no longer be > 1000 and so the elev 10 tile will be submerged rather than washed. In the cases at hand, there are bases on the elevation 10 tiles (protected by PDomes, so they will not be lost in any case); the question involves trying to predict whether they will be land bases or sea bases, which (since these bases are quite near the border) has a reasonably large impact on the faction boundaries and who can produce from which land and sea tiles in the neighborhood. It also affects whether or not it is possible to reraise the base if it is submerged, as the new boundaries will trigger the situation where you need to declare vendetta in order to raise the adjacent tiles too. You say well raise the 1020 tile before it is sunk and don't worry anymore, as the base will now be at 1000+. All well and good, but then you may turn your coastal base into a landlocked one and/or block a channel you want to keep open. Thus the interest in a more detailed insight into the mechanism.

There is a basic question of whether it works through the endangered tiles one at a time subtracting the sealevel change from its elevation and then comparing it to adjacent tiles to see if it is spared due to washing or not -- or if it does all the subtraction first and then does the washing or not check. In the first case, the order in which it does the tiles could determine whether or not some tiles are washed or submerged (i.e. if they are done before their 1000+ neighbors are lowered); in the second case where all the subtraction is done first, there would be no reprieves.

I have definitely seen the increase occur in installments, where some tiles are submerged/washed but some further endangerment remains. Thus, even if the adjustments are made by doing all the subtractions before the wash-tests, there is still a possible way to get a reprieve - if the partial adjustment is enough to potentially sink a vulnerable tile, but not enough to lower its 1000+ neighbor below the 1000 mark, then it could still end up getting washed even if the full elevataion change would have dropped the protector tile below 1000, because the vulnerable tile would have already been adjusted to its post-washing elevation before the protector finished getting lowered below 1000.

Comment

Great questions johnd-- I only wish I knew the answers

I always assumed that the washing effect was done on a more general level-- meaning that ALL tiles would drop the same amount in elevation and then and only then would some tiles be readjusted upward so that the adjacency rules were respected ( with tiles coming out of the water being the washed ones)

I haven't experienced washing much lately since I tend to pick some key tiles and raise them to 2000+ so that most of my terraforming stays protected.

I still wish the game allowed you to make an order like " raise to 999 metres" or "maintain elevation" since the existing methods mean that you often have the choice iof allowing land to sink losing land terraforming or raising land and losing sea tarraforming or turning a port into an inland base etc
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

oh and IIRC a sea colony pod costs aound the same as a land pod plus a rec tanks.

I believe a base above size 4 can survive submersion and continues on with a pressure dome but with a number of facilities lost as well.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
        X