Pressure Domes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Domes

Why do they provide 1 nut, min and nrg like the Recycling Tanks do? Curious and all.
    Hi, I'm a sig virus. Pass me on by putting me in your sig!

My wild speculation - due to the architectural nature of the facility, you're better able to trap resources before they get 'lost.' For instance, when I drive my car, there are emissions containing hard particles in the gas vapors. The dome would have a very effective ventilation system which would traps those particles and send them somewhere to be recycled. Also heat from various sources (including body heat) could be trapped before those could escape and turned into an energy form that's useable.

A question here - basically a pressure dome acts as a recycling tanks. Suppose a base already have a recycling tanks facility and I decide to build the pressure dome facility in there - would it be cumlative or I can go ahead and scrap the recycling tanks after completing the pressure dome?
    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the Pressure Dome overrides the Recycling Tanks, as the option to build them dissappears after the 'Dome is built.

Comment

It does? I haven't noticed that. Probably cuz I usually build tanks before pressure domes...
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

A pressure dome comes complete with a recycling system. Sell off your old tanks, they will just sit there gathering rust.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
            I haven't noticed that.
            you never noticed you can't build tanks in sea bases?

Comment

Originally posted by Method

you never noticed you can't build tanks in sea bases?
              I noticed but I just didn't make the connection. Duh me.
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I'm the opposite, always building Domes before Tanks. Not sure why.

Comment

Probably you're playing as Pirates

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I used to build domes first because, like, that one building saves you having to build two buildings! Then I realised that building the cheaper tanks early on gave me much more turn advantage.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Sometimes the game seems to do you a favor and build one for you when you would otherwise get sunk if left to your own devices. Does anyone know what triggers this bail-out?

Also, if there is an adjacent 1000+ elevation tile next to your about-to-be-sunk base tile (so that the tile itself will ultimately remain above sea level after all is said and done), is it still necessary to build a Pressure Dome? In other words, are bases immune to the effect known as 'washing', where the terraforming is erased from tiles that were in the danger zone, but were saved from the sea by virtue of a 1000+ elevation neighbor.

Another complication I have noticed is that when there is a substantial enough sea level increase that the sea rises in installments, that a warning-about-to-be-sunk tile that at first blush appeared to be 'safe' from disappearing under the sea (maybe not from being washed, but at least still above sea level) due to a 1000+ neighbor may lose that protection when the 1000+ tile is lowered in the intermediate stage of sea level increase. The question here is does anyone know how this works more specifically so as to accurately tell what is safe from submergence and what isn't - at times this may be important, such as when faction borders are involved (e.g. if a land base becomes a sea base, it may change the ownership of key land or sea tiles). Conceivably the 1000+ tile becoming 999- and the sinking of the seemingly-protected-from-submergence-but-not-anymore tile could happen in the same turn if the algorithm doing the sealevel increase lowered the 1000+ tile first, then went on to sink the endangered adjacent tile second. Sounds unlikely perhaps, but I'm seeing this situation in 2 different places in the same PBEM at the moment, so it can't be all that rare either.

Comment

The dome-building occurs if you have over a certain amount of population.

Comment

Originally posted by johndmuller
                          Sometimes the game seems to do you a favor and build one for you when you would otherwise get sunk if left to your own devices. Does anyone know what triggers this bail-out?
                          Originally posted by Patashu
                          The dome-building occurs if you have over a certain amount of population.
                          I believe, but am not certain, it also needs either, or both, of:
                          …sufficient Minerals for completion (after applying all the minerals already accumulated toward what the base was working on)… …and/or… …Energy Credits to rush (if the minerals total is insufficient).
                          I suspect also (again, I am not positive) that the Base Governor must be active.
                          Also, if there is an adjacent 1000+ elevation tile next to your about-to-be-sunk base tile (so that the tile itself will ultimately remain above sea level after all is said and done), is it still necessary to build a Pressure Dome? In other words, are bases immune to the effect known as 'washing', where the terraforming is erased from tiles that were in the danger zone, but were saved from the sea by virtue of a 1000+ elevation neighbor.
                          Bases are not safe from washing. The tile will be blanked.
                          from xscript.txt
                          #BASESUBMERGED1
                          #xs 440
                          #caption Chief Planetologist
                          Tidal waves near $BASENAME0! $BASENAME0 has been submerged and lost!
                          Another complication… The question here is does anyone know how this works more specifically so as to accurately tell what is safe from submergence and what isn't…
                          Myself, I prefer to assume in every case that if it says ENDANGERED it's going under.
                          I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

I think that submerged bases lose population according to a formula that might look like new_pop = (old_pop / 2) - 2, though I don't know the exact form. I know I've seen bases briefly have size 0 or -1 before being destroyed by submersion. If the base survives its population loss, you get a pressure dome for "free".

I am certain the base governor does not have to be active, but I'm not certain about requisite minerals/energy.
                            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                            -BBC news

Comment

Well that helps explain why sea colony pods are more expensive than land ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X