Nerve gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazerus
    hmm now that (the psi armor) would be really useful when you're fighting with/against the aliens
    Actually Lazerus, the psi armor can be even more useful when fighting someone with relatively advanced weapons/armor techs. Your psi stuff forces the battle to be decided by morale (which hopefully you are able to jack up if you are attempting this gambit) and an elite scout becomes a force to be reckonned with. Even if you don't ultimately prevail, it is very satisfying to see expensive deluxe units go down before the hoi polloi.

It is possible (but I wouldn't bet the farm on it) that the Xgas doesn't work against normal units with psi armor, as normal and psi abilities may not work in combat conducted in the other domain.

Comment

Hi all,
      I've been researching and asking around and here's my latest understanding of how all this works. Any corrections or additions will be more than welcome:

A base successfully attacked by nerve gas will lose population. Some base facilities can act to mitigate this loss. Datalinks says a Research Hospital helps vs. genetic warfare (i.e. probes using some sort of genetic 'plague') but fails to mention that it also helps vs. nerve gas attack. There are a few other 'hospitals-like' facilities that also can reduce the impact of nerve gas.
      A base defended by a PSI unit will not lose population. This is because a PSI unit can’t be targeted by nerve gas, it isn’t affected by nerve gas, and it causes the attacker to revert to conventional combat. It’s hard to tell which unit will defend. Even a designated defender will not always defend. Interceptors in a base will usually but not always defend vs. an air attack (they get their attack strength in defense). If a PSI unit successfully defends, another unit may defend a subsequent attack if the PSI unit is damaged.

Impacts of nerve gas attack can differ depending on whether the attacking unit is an air, ground, sea, or probe unit. Successful ground unit nerve gas attacks result in collateral damage. Air unit attacks do not cause collateral damage. Sea unit attacks and probe team attacks should be tested for collateral damage.

Nerve gas is a minor atrocity resulting in economic sanctions and desire for revenge from AI factions. Additionally, each nerve gas attack has a negative impact on the attacker’s 'clean mineral' count and extensive use could result in massive eco-damage and sea levels rising. If U.N. Sanctions are lifted then sanctions and eco-damage are removed.

Comment

Also note, when using the Alien factions, they are also immune to the eco-damage and econ sanctions as they are not part UN.

I've been playing a game where I've exclusively used nerve gas weapons against humans and Marr and have not suffered any eco damage as a result (although nerve stapling your citizens causes the loss of your energy grid for 10 turns/per incident)

Comment

Originally posted by ERKUTHER
          (although nerve stapling your citizens causes the loss of your energy grid for 10 turns/per incident)
          I suppose you're talking about 'sanctions'.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Hmmm....

I suppose one could armor needlejet with psi armor. How about psi weapons on an interceptor? In doing so, interceptor would scramble & attack using psi weaponry hence again no nerve gas attack.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Hmmm....empath interceptors, very cool. Maybe someone would care to play test this idea? I'm clueless as to creating scenarios.

Comment

Net Warrior,

Not empath interceptors. Empath is a special ability slot. Psi Weapons is a choice of weaponry not a special ability slot.

Unfortunately it comes in the game a bit late.

Regarding the post about research hospitals reducing effects of nerve gas, I don't recall ever experiencing that. Anyone ever see anything to this effect?
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                X