Nerve gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerve gas

I've been checking some old threads but I can't seem to find anything on population loss due to chemical warfare. Do perimeter defences stop population loss due to nerve gas attack at a base? Does anything stop it? Do you lose population every time you are attacked by nerve gas or only if you lose the battle?

I'm pretty sure you lose population even if the defensive unit wins. In my last nerve gas game (mind worm armageddon) Yang lose population even if my chopper was killed.

As for amount of pop loss, it usually went something like:

dead

or

dead

and of course all of his bases had perimetr defenses
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

I believe that you have to win the battle to inflict the population damage, but I am far from certain, not being a big user of the nerve gas.

I also understand that having an MW (and/or probably any other NL unit) in the base being attacked will mitigate/eliminate the population effects, although I am unsure of the details (like what happens if it is the MW that defends - and loses).

Comment

You must succeed in an attack to gas the population.
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I sem to recall that nerve gas will have zero impact against mindworms and even if the worm loses there will be no population loss. Also I thought the gas would halve the population of an affected base when a nerve gassing worked but I'm not ceratin what happened with odd numbers-- I am not a big nerve gasser either
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Whoops, looks like my memory is a bit hazy, now that I go back and look at my game. I guess you do have to kill the defender...I think...
            Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Well, that's for all the info guys. I sure wish I knew about the MW advantage a few years (turns) ago. Now I'll just have to retool in a hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                I sem to recall that nerve gas will have zero impact against mindworms and even if the worm loses there will be no population loss. Also I thought the gas would halve the population of an affected base when a nerve gassing worked but I'm not ceratin what happened with odd numbers-- I am not a big nerve gasser either
                Correct. I also seem to recall hearing that if you use that armor that relies on morale instead of weapon strength (Brain cramp) you likewise don't get pop reduction.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe

Correct. I also seem to recall hearing that if you use that armor that relies on morale instead of weapon strength (Brain cramp) you likewise don't get pop reduction.
                  hmm now that would be really useful when you're fighting with/against the aliens
                  Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Psi armor - Dang it I'm old.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

So, is it agreed that 3r armor will help vs nerve gas or is the jury still out on this one?

Comment

I just tried out both resonance and pulse armor, in a base with a perimeter defense and aerospace complex. Neither made a difference, if they lost they took the massive population loss.
                        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Oh, ok shawnmmcc, thanks for the info.

So then, do we all at least agree that if you win you don't take population loss?

Comment

Not any of the new armors introduced in SMAX ie. pulse or resonance armors. No I was speaking of psi-armor. And truth be told I don't know for a fact that it prevents use of nerve gas and hence the lack of population reduction. (It was something I heard once tho') Certainly native life does.

Comment

The fact that you had to ask if it caused damaged is a problem. Atrocities are for cowards, unless of course you are playing a very messed up game just for fun (isn't that all games?)

Comment

Working...
                              X