Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-Lethal, Psi Gates, Children's Creches, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Lethal, Psi Gates, Children's Creches, etc.

Things that don't work like they say:

1) Non-Lethal Methods don't actually double police powers, right? It's been a while since I looked at this, but if memory serves, two units with non-lethal methods will only pacify three drones. Or am I thinking of the way that Non-Lethal Methods combine with some social engineering choice, or secret project? I know there's something funky going on here. Anyone know what's up? (Sorry that's such a vague question).

2) Psi Gates can only send one unit a turn, but can recieve any number, right? It doesn't say this in the datalinks.

3) I remember a huge argument about how Children's Creches work. I remember everyone agreed the datalinks were wrong, but no one agreed who was right. Who was right?

4) What else doesn't work like it's s'posta?

Helium,

1) Non lethal ability. I beleive the actual effect is that each non lethal unit polices 2 drones to workers. The rub comes about when running +3 police wherein police effect is supposed to be doubled. In this case one would expect each NL unit to police 4 drones. In reality the effect is 3 (apparently the double police effect ocurrs for the unit policing and the special Non Lethal ability adds only one extra police effect after the doubling is calculated.) This being said the best one can police with 3 NL units is 3*2 + 3 or 9 total drones policed to workers.

2)Pisgates. I think you are corect

3)Childrens Creches - My head is still spinningo ver that arguement. I don't know which is right.

4) Ability to build rivers next to each other. Econ ratings and effect on base square and trade bonus are not what datalinks say. Hmmm... I know there are other as well but am drawing a blank.

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'll try to clarify the Children's Creche issue.

From what I understand the Children's Creche actually gives your unit a one level bump in morale permenantly and negates the effects of any negative morale modifier (the (+) symbols you see next to some of your units morale ratings) while you are in your terrirtory, not just your base square.

Comment

Ogie Og, thanks for the responses.

1) So, if Non-Lethal read "if police allowed, +1 drone pacified," it would be correct?

3) Can you summarize the positions? One person was saying the Creche gave a morale boost only inside their territory, and the other said it gave a boost over the whole map? Or something like that? The links say the Creche only cancels out negative modifiers, but that's totally wrong, right? Any help is appreciated.

4) You mean how you can build rivers next to each other if you start them on the same turn? Okay, yeah.

Do you know how the Econ thingies really work?

Comment

I believe it was Marione who was correct stating the info I gave above and it was Adam Smith who was saying that the datalinks were correct and that there was no morale boost. He also refused to believe that the units negative moral modifiers were negated when the unit left the city with the Children's Creched in it as the datalinks suggest.

Comment

It would be tough to give a comprehensive answer on item 4 for sure. zsozso's bug thread was huge and most of the problems have not yet been corrected and probably never will.

Nevertheless, I still love the game.

Comment

Helium,

1) Police effects. Yes that would be a fair way to advertise the NL methods effect.

2) Econ rating

What Datalink say

Econ rating

+1 Each Base square +1
              +2 Each Square +1
              +3 Each Square +1 , Commerce +1
              +4 Each Square +1, Base Sqaure +2, COmmerce +2
              +5 Each Square +1, Base Square +4, Commerce +3

What you actually experience

Econ Rating

+1 same as above
              +2 Same as above
              +3 Each Square +1, Base square +2 (I don't know what commerce goes to unfortunately)
              +4 Each square +1, Base Square +4

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Thanks, Og, cool. And +5?

Comment

There were many different issues and sides on the Creche thing. I was inclined to agree with Mario though, since he tests things instead of repeating over and over again that 'the datalinks & manual say ...'.

Anyway, the way I understood it was that any unit homed to a base that has a childrens creche looses all negative morale penalties due to SE choices (if applicable), and gains a plus one morale bonus. The negative effect of 1/2 bonuses from facilities (+1 instead of +2) due to SE choices still holds if applicable. This is true as long as you remain inside your territory.

The other points of view were:
                  Above holds true anywhere on the map.
                  Only true inside the base for units homed to it.
                  That it was only true inside the base, but worked on any unit inside that base, not just ones homed to it.

I think (hope anyway) that covers it.
                  Fitz. (n.) Old English
                  1. Child born out of wedlock.
                  2. Bastard.

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread. Was the Children's creche dispute ever figured out? I would like to know if anyone ever got to the bottom of this one.

Comment

2) Yup. Psi Gates are one per customer outgoing, unlimited incoming.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe on 12-18-2000 03:14 PM
                        2)Pisgates.

I like that. Freudian, perhaps?

The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Anyone know about the children's creche issue though?

Comment

Read my post above.

Comment

Still a little vague: so the bonus given by the creche (negative mod, +1 morale) is given to units who's home base is creched, and so long as they remain within the dotted lines, they retain these effects?

Just clarifying...

Comment

Working...
                              X