Difficulty: Fair play?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty: Fair play?!?

I would like to have fair play in my multiplayer games. An expert player and a novice player in the same multiplayer game won't find much enjoyment. Either too easy or too difficult. Is there a way to avoid this?

Editing the factions is possible, but I find this difficult --- because I don't know what aspects I should edit (trying to find a nice balance).

If I could play with different difficulty levels (Transcend, Librarian etc.) - that would be an easy way to achieve fairness. Is this possible?

I tried special "House Rules" where the expert player is limited to only 1 city, but this is NOT my idea of SMAC and SMACX. Building bases is fun! (Capturing bases can be fun too )

Any ideas?

Make the expert player play as the cult or miriam, typically somebody with low tech and a house rule that he cannot trade for techs. This means if he wants to keep up hes got to do alot of stealing which really gets the AI ticked off
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

You can specify different starting difficutly levels for each player.

Comment

CEO Aaron: Sounds perfect, but how do I do it?!?

Comment

Or have a CMN set it up for you - he can then seed the novice's land with some forest tiles, maybe an extra monolith or two and some other goody tiles, start with the HQ built and a couple of pops and 1/2 dozen crawlers, etc etc (maybe even an early SP or two - just depends how big a challenge you want)

Also the CMN could start the novice already pacted with a couple of the AI, with them being aggressive towards you - all sorts of things can be done to handicap you and give some advantages to the novice.

(I'd be happy to set up the game for you if you want - e-mail me at: googlie@canada.com if you want me to set something up)

Googlie

Comment

Being a god is addictive, isn't it GooglieGod?
            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
              Being a god is addictive, isn't it GooglieGod?
              Naw - that's why I was approached for the ACDG - I've set up a few hundred of these by now, so it's second nature

GG

Comment

Dxxn server. Got double posts when you simply edited your original post.

And hope this one desn't make the third post.
                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Wow!

You are right. Second nature is one giant step ahead of addiction.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

Naw - that's why I was approached for the ACDG - I've set up a few hundred of these by now, so it's second nature

GG
                    And every one you set up is greatly appreciated-- I have benefited from Googlie taking the time to set up games on numerous occasions.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

His crucial part in the ACDG is greatly appreciated by all of us as well. Sometimes you wonder how could one person do so many multitasks. Unless he is somebody who has a second nature of god.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

LOL

SMAC God = Googlie od'ing on smac?

Comment

Working...
                        X