Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here's the endturn save.

Some things to consider:
    • We have a much longer frontier now with the Gaians and Angels. We will need to beef up our defenses on that southern coast facing the Gaians ASAP.
    • Yang did not call during the invasion. Presumably, he's quite pi$$ed with us now. We may have to really take it to him to get him off our backs now.
    • Yang is researching organic superlube, no? That means we will soon be able to probe fusion laser weapons from him, right? Which means we will be back on par with the Gaians soon in terms of weaponry.
    • Even though the Gaians won't know the exact nature of the forces heading in their direction, they will surely know now that something is in store for them (it will be obvious when they see what we've done to the Hive that we have a sizeable force sailing through those parts, presumably towards the Gaians.)

As far as what I did this turn, here's the general outline:
    • Terrapeso is in builder-mode right now (as before).
    • Southern Arcadia is in half-builder mode, half military production mode.
    • Northern Arcadia is also about half and half.
    • Same with Laconia.
    • With military production, I concentrated on fighters, bombers, drop-chaos-rovers, and SAM-rovers.
    • I moved the BX-8 bomber to ThreeNuts Crag in preparation for kamikaze attack on Flowers Peach.
    • I did not initiate any actions involving the drop-probes. Aside from the Hive attack, I wanted to play things conservatively for this turn.
    • In general, I moved the air forces towards Gaialand.
    Attached Files
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Good work!!

(But I guess you didn't think much about my AU suggestion of going Thinker - maybe not enough time, given the deadlines?)

How about, next turn, upgrading all our B-8's to X capability, then just running down every Gaian base within reach to really decimate their population? It'd take around 650 credits and we'll have some 900 to play with, so it's feasible (and if we lose a handful of noodles in the doing, so what - we can churn them out faster than the Gaians can replenish thier populations to prior levels)

(Pity we're in sun spots, 'cos we really don't care about our reputation, and we could then immediately call "El Supremo" elections and win!!)

Another option open to us is to continue rolling thru Hiveland, down towards the Angels with our land forces, capturing and assimilating Hive bases as we go, while simultaneously conducting a war of attrition against the Gaians from the air

Comment

(But I guess you didn't think much about my AU suggestion of going Thinker - maybe not enough time, given the deadlines?)
        No, I tried it out, but missing out on those 3 ECs per engineer didn't seem worth it to me. I don't think it advanced the research enough to make much of a difference, but maybe I was wrong.

How about, next turn, upgrading all our B-8's to X capability, then just running down every Gaian base within reach to really decimate their population? It'd take around 650 credits and we'll have some 900 to play with, so it's feasible (and if we lose a handful of noodles in the doing, so what - we can churn them out faster than the Gaians can replenish thier populations to prior levels)
        As I understand it, though, the Gaians would regain that population rather quickly through pop-booming. In any case, it would be very nice to get infiltration first. I suppose we could do some gassing with the BX-8's that we already have, but as far as spending money on upgrades for such a venture, I don't know...

Another option open to us is to continue rolling thru Hiveland, down towards the Angels with our land forces, capturing and assimilating Hive bases as we go
        I think this will be our only choice while Yang stays in vendetta with us. Considering Yang's immense industrial output, it would be a terrible idea to try to fight a war of attrition with the Hive. With Yang, we have to continually make progress and hit the AI where it is the weakest (tactical fighting/exploiting opportunities for advances, etc.) I imagine he will soon ask for a truce, but if not, oh well. We could take him out in roughly five turns, I'd imagine.

One thing we need to do ASAP is connect the road network of Hiveland to the road network of Laconia (an easy task, considering it needs only 1 tile of road around TwoNuts Strand).
        Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Yang can't contact us to ask for a truce - we're in a sunspot activity blackout

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
            Yang can't contact us to ask for a truce - we're in a sunspot activity blackout
            Oh, right! Duh! Why do I forget these things? Well then...that leaves us with some tought decisions to make.

Comment

Option 1:

Roll over Yang, and annexe Hiveland, before tackling the Angels and the Gaians (in that order? - if sunspots end while we are still finishing Yang, maybe we can gas the Gaians to insignificance and call for supreme leader vote?)

Option 2:

Roll over Yang while simultaneously attacking the Gaians from the air to weaken them and prime them for an overland attack from hitherto Hive territory

Option 3:

Consolidate and hold these five or so bases, from which to launch a combined sea/air attack on the Gaians (before they get shard weapons and neutronium defences)

Option 4:

Isolate the Gaians by tackling the Hive, then the Angels, and rely on superior population, # bases and industry to hold the Gaians at bay until we are ready to tackle them and/or go for supreme leader or transcendence

Any other options/combos?

Comment

I would say option 3 is best. Unless by a stroke of bad luck the Angels or the Hive manage to become anthing but an annoyance, the Gaians are the only real threat right now.
                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I don't know...if we go with option 3, we just need to make sure that we make our frontier with Yang very secure. We must not fight a war of attrition with Yang.

It may also be the case, with our military production in Laconia coming online, that we will have enough firepower to take on Yang AND the Gaians at the same time.

Although the thought of that suddenly makes me feel a bit like the Germans after launching Operation Barbarossa. Should we drive towards Moscow, or should we turn our attention across the sea and finish the business there first?

Comment

Are we strong enough (and industrial enough) to tackle the Hive, Gaians and the Angels simultaneously?

Comment

In short: no. Unless the Gaians are very, very stupid and very, very weak militarily. We are probably strong enough to go for two targets, but only after the third one is dead (so that no backstabbing can happen).

Originally posted by Zeiter
                      Although the thought of that suddenly makes me feel a bit like the Germans after launching Operation Barbarossa. Should we drive towards Moscow, or should we turn our attention across the sea and finish the business there first?
                      If we follow that road, we should also attack the Angels. Three big targets, remember?

Comment

Oh no, I wasn't proposing that we attack the Data Angels too. That would be crazy. I'm just saying, fighting Yang might cause us some problems if he goes aggressive on us.

Comment

Oh no, I wasn't proposing that we attack the Data Angels too.
                          Neither was I -- just having fun with the WWII analogy.

That would be crazy.
                          Exactly why I liked the WWII analogy.

I'm just saying, fighting Yang might cause us some problems if he goes aggressive on us.
                          Problems as in having to take more bases until he gives us a break?

Hey, we might actually delpoy some forces, just happening to attack Yang near, uh I don't know, Gaian bases... Or maybe not? Is it feasible to build a staging area for a (sort-of) land invasion there?
                          Last edited by Modo44; February 9, 2006, 16:47.

Comment

Who's playing the current turn?
                            no sig

Comment

OOPS - caught me by surprise

We have - what, about 20 hours or so to go?

I can play it later tonight (ie in about 4 hours' time) but if anyone else can do it earlier (or part of it such as the build orders, or the war on Yang, etc), feel free and post a save

Comment

Hmmm...whenever I try to download the original zip file from the turn-tracking-thread, it says the zip file is invalid or corrupted and can't be opened. Perhaps you could post a new zip file here, Googlie?

Comment

Working...
                                X