• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 2161 Planning Thread

Some non-contentious moves
    • Vamoose GeneralTacticus to Climatic Research
    • Move Invincible into UN Great Refuge port and leave to heal
    • land longstrider ansd steal Field Modulation
    • continue Heimdall's journey south to relieve Pegasus and let the latter return north for ferry duty
    • cash in AA at RG's NN and (hopefully get Int Int or Doc Air)
    • continue Disco Volante's cruise around the south of Cape Sol towards the Angels' territory
    • move MT's supercrawler north (heading for OA) and also move Aarvak northwest and land 2NS supercrawler to move to OA
    • join Vladimorei and Njord, and tag team attacks on Morgan northern infrastruture

Re: MY 2161 Planning Thread

Originally posted by Googlie
    Vamoose GeneralTacticus to Climatic Research
    Question (repeated): Can we team any other ship with GT, to prevent a hostile probe action? Better safe than sorry...

cash in AA at RG's NN and (hopefully get Int Int or Doc Air)
    I would wait with this, until we know what the Angels plan. It would be pretty bad to get IntInt from the Artifact, if they would give it to us anyway. I say let us not rush this.

Any chances of making that Borehole by teaming many Formers, as suggested earlier?
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Had a look at the endturn save.

If my tech choice simulator is correct, the Corporation won't be able to choose Doctrine: Air Power after researching Synthetic Fossil Fuels this year. However they could of course always choose Intellectual Integrity as their next tech goal, trade it with the Angels and switch research to D:AP. In any case, I think we'll have to expect the start of air wars in the not so far future, especially since Morgan also seems able to get tech very easily from Lal.

SNC Pegasus: how about first landing R-112 on the tile east and then reboard immediately, to explore a little before we leave for the north?

Regarding the SCV Disco Volante, be careful when approaching Angel waters. GeoModder claims to have a navy. If they have one, it can hardly be a big one, but better watch out anyway I guess.
      Btw, what will we do when we find probe defences in Angel coastal bases?

Regarding the colony pod near the Manifold Nexus, how will we call the base it founds? Will we rehome the Argonite hoplite to that base? What will the base produce? Options are for example a former, a Crypteia to probe defend, or a CoastGuard to pop that nearby pod and patrol the coasts.

Regarding SNC Aarvak and its supercrawler, how about moving east of that unity pod, and let the supercrawler pop it? Unloading from a trannie only costs 1 MP, so we could then move the crawler to a tile to the north or northwest to harvest a mineral. Or in case we'd get mind worms, the crawler could get hop back on the Aarvak, and OA's and VV's base garrisons can deal with the worms.
      What tile would the supercrawler harvest btw after it's moved to OA?

If we want to build a new ship to tagteam with the SCC GeneralTacticus, how about, after the current crawler production, building a transport cruiser in Arcadia University? We could fill it with some crypteia or missila marines and harrass the Corporate west coast.

After founding the Manifold base, Argos and Arcadia University will each have a free support slot. To fill AU's one, how about rehoming the VV scout patrol in AU to AU?

What Corporate infrastructure will the Njord and Vladimorei bombard on the northern Terrapeso coast?

Suggestion: How about upgrading the FB missile rover at the monolith between SC1 and OA instead of the one north of SC2. That way we won't have to use a MP next year getting back on our road network. As Googlie said before, having roads on our other monoliths would be useful.

If we're gonna keep the Sparta Command workers where they currently are, how about rehoming two units to there? Candidates could be the FB missile rover (then it'd first have to move into SC1 and rehome before visiting the monolith) and the GH hoplite in SC2 (could be swapped with the SC1 scout patrol).
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
        If my tech choice simulator is correct, the Corporation won't be able to choose Doctrine: Air Power after researching Synthetic Fossil Fuels this year. However they could of course always choose Intellectual Integrity as their next tech goal, trade it with the Angels and switch research to D:AP.
        If they get it, we immediately steal it, right?

Is there a choice if we find one? Or will it be a forced fight?

Regarding the colony pod near the Manifold Nexus, how will we call the base it founds? Will we rehome the Argonite hoplite to that base? What will the base produce? Options are for example a former, a Crypteia to probe defend, or a CoastGuard to pop that nearby pod and patrol the coasts.
        Crypteia would be good. Not that someone gets funny ideas about that base...

If we want to build a new ship to tagteam with the SCC GeneralTacticus, how about, after the current crawler production, building a transport cruiser in Arcadia University? We could fill it with some crypteia or missila marines and harrass the Corporate west coast.
        If we can fill the transport as soon as it is finished (without weakening defenses...), then yes, let us build it.

Comment

Regarding the SCV Disco Volante, be careful when approaching Angel waters. GeoModder claims to have a navy. If they have one, it can hardly be a big one, but better watch out anyway I guess.
          Yeah I've always wondered about this too. Don't we expect them to have those? I guess the objective is just as much to explore as to infiltrate.

Regarding the colony pod near the Manifold Nexus, how will we call the base it founds?
          We might not want to give it a name with Manifold in it, as that will tip off any snoopers who infiltrate us. It could be good to keep this base a relative secret, since it is a hot strategic target, and relatively isolated and exposed.

Regarding SNC Aarvak and its supercrawler, how about moving east of that unity pod, and let the supercrawler pop it?
          I am very protective of these supercrawlers, but this seems safe. The worst I can imagine is a dim rift to zap it away somewhere, but it's likely to end up in Sparta anyway ... Of course, an earthquake would destroy the Aardvark, but it's not a great loss and the risk is fairly small.

What should we set production in Vlad and OA to? Amph 6-2-2's ?

Cool idea. But if they're getting missile needlejets in 10 years or so, we'll need some more protection. A commando synth armored AA ship will be a good help.

Comment

Concerning Angels:
            I'm new and not so aware of long-term strategic planning previously made but...I'm reluctant to send anything along/into the Angelic borders. We are already at war with 2 factions, can get techs from 2 other AI (Zak & Lal) or expand with captured Hive bases.
            If we really want more, there are still the Gaians. I would say we let the Angels alone and let them see us with relative benevolence, not upset them uselessly. They don't seem a threat.
            What was the consensus about that formerly?

Concerning the new secret base naming:
            Since I'm fairly obsessed with underground secret bases these days, one could choose:
            -- Area 87 (random number, of course!)
            -- Montauk Project (try a Google search! )
            -- Dulce (a so-called alien/human base in New Mexico)
            -- Pine Gap (huge NSA base in central Australia)

Concerning research:
            We are currently researching IntInt.
            Shouldn't we change? After all, Zak is also on it and, as submissive Pact brother, should give it to us freely (or without much persuasion).
            From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale!

Comment

The Angels are the closest to a "friend" we have at the moment. And upsetting them would put us in the worst diplomatic position of the four human-controlled factions.

I think this could have happened already with the PTS raid, but it does no harm to wait a turn or two. We just might be able to keep good relations.

Morgan has responded with paranoia and hostility to the killed probe (when they were infiltrated - just before I joined Sparta). I think the Angels will do the same in a similar situation. And I agree it would not do us any good, especially now.

Comment

Unless we find an un(probe)defended base the only thing we'll be doing is mapping their coast. Now the Gaians were supposedly offended by this, so maybe the Angels will too, who knows. We could try to be a bit stealthy by always ending turns away from their coast, but if they have a navy there's always a small chance they would spot us.

Another approach is to alert them that we're coming "like it or not, but hey at least we told you". I have a feeling that such a declaration would be seriously unpopular though Better to just explore while trying to avoid being detected, map data is valuable, not to mention the value of infiltration should we find an undefended base.

Comment

• Re: The Angels

I'm pretty sure that the Angels, of all the factions, will have adequate probe defenses in their coastal bases - but one never knows

We're not interested in tech stealing - after all, we reckon that they don't have a tech that we lack - but we do want infiltration on them (and on the Gaians)

The Disco Volante is nimble enough (9 movement points) that it can snoop at a base, withdrawing if there are probe defenders and pull offshore to hide in friendly fungus
                  • Re: the Manifold Nexus base:

We could always try to absolutely confuse anyone who stumbled across it by naming it as if it were a Uni or a PK base

Imagine their consternation when they saw, say, UN Data Aquisition, or Mir Lab, in Spartan colors!!
                  • Re: tag-teaming with the GeneralTacticus:

We don't have any other vessel within range of lending assistance - our best bet is to high-tail it for Climactic Research and put into port overnight. We have a probe there so even if they could (I'm not sure it's possible) they wouldn't be able to mind control it from within the base
                  • Re:Cashing in the AA now:

I'd do it now. If we get Int Int as a result, so be it - we'll complete the Citizens' Defense Force five turns earlier than otherwise.

I don't think we can risk Morgan bribing the Angels - with techs or cash - to stall their research long enough for them to get it themselves and build the CDF.

I know that they agreed not to, in return for Ethical Calculus, but hey, in Vendetta all agreements are abrogated

And if we got D:AP instead, then WOWEEEE!!
                  • Re: Pegasus and the R-112:

Well, we also have that popped Unity Rover for exploring purposes - our predicament is that we have 3 units (R-112, the Ogre and the Rover) with the Pegasus only having a carrying capacity of 2. And dare we risk the R-112 stumbling on to a Gaian probe and them seizing one of those "opportunistic moments" and mind controlling it away?

Comment

The Disco Volante is nimble enough (9 movement points) that it can snoop at a base, withdrawing if there are probe defenders and pull offshore to hide in friendly fungus
                    Ahh, it seems much safer, when one gets the facts up close. A screenie would do just as good.

Re: the Manifold Nexus base:

We could always try to absolutely confuse anyone who stumbled across it by naming it as if it were a Uni or a PK base

Wy not make it Yang's?

Re:Cashing in the AA now:

I'd do it now. If we get Int Int as a result, so be it - we'll complete the Citizens' Defense Force five turns earlier than otherwise.

And if we got D:AP instead, then WOWEEEE!!
                    I would try for a prebuild, if it makes sense (as I suppose it might). But this needs more precise data, like the Morgan research capacity, the IntInt delivery date from the Angels, our production capability, Morgan production capability... I really hate not being able to load the save.

My (not very certain) point is, we might be able to get the CDF without cashing in the AA. I understand your reasoning about Morgan, Googlie, but are they capable of pulling this off?

Re: Pegasus and the R-112:

Well, we also have that popped Unity Rover for exploring purposes - our predicament is that we have 3 units (R-112, the Ogre and the Rover) with the Pegasus only having a carrying capacity of 2.
                    I would bring it back home, or send another transport to pick up the land units. The first if we have no ships close enough.

Comment

Imagine their consternation when they saw, say, UN Data Aquisition, or Mir Lab, in Spartan colors!!
                      well in that case we could just name it something like Morgan Refugee Camp if we want to avoid being politically correct

I agree with Googlie here. The Morgans will want the CDF too. Let's hope we can beat them too it. It's either that, or we get needlejets

Well, we also have that popped Unity Rover for exploring purposes - our predicament is that we have 3 units (R-112, the Ogre and the Rover) with the Pegasus only having a carrying capacity of 2. And dare we risk the R-112 stumbling on to a Gaian probe and them seizing one of those "opportunistic moments" and mind controlling it away?
                      Why don't we just skip away with the Ogre and the R-112, hand them over to the transport cruiser and go raid some poor Hive base. We can use the Pegasus to pick up the rover later on.

I'd be real nervous about the Gaians finding some of these units mind you, they could get the wrong idea entirely. We might want to send them a message about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoddasmannen
                        We might not want to give it a name with Manifold in it, as that will tip off any snoopers who infiltrate us. It could be good to keep this base a relative secret, since it is a hot strategic target, and relatively isolated and exposed.
                        If they've infiltrated us, they'll the Nexus anyway in our base radius. Nevertheless, something more creative than 'Manifold' in the base name would be nice.

• Re: Pegasus and the R-112:

R-112 wouldn't be exposed to Gaian probes. I'm just suggesting hopping off and on the transport to explore the few surrounding tiles. You know, the same way we did when we had that trannie en route to University Base to infiltrate. The alternative is simply letting R-112 waste its turn on the Pegasus.

Btw, what are the plans for the Pegasus and Heimdall? Which one was supposed to continue exploring, and which one to return back home with a unit?

Originally posted by vishniac
                        Concerning research:
                        We are currently researching IntInt.
                        Shouldn't we change? After all, Zak is also on it and, as submissive Pact brother, should give it to us freely (or without much persuasion).
                        Once we get it, we can simply change to another research project, no? Besides, switching would cost us half our accumulated research.

I agree with Googlie here. The Morgans will want the CDF too. Let's hope we can beat them too it. It's either that, or we get needlejets
                        Or (after extracting Field Modulation), Centauri Empathy, Advanced Subatomic Theory, Adaptive Doctrine, or Neural Grafting.

Comment

I'd be real nervous about the Gaians finding some of these units mind you, they could get the wrong idea entirely. We might want to send them a message about it.
                          What do you propose we'd send them? "Hey, we've got a rover here popping some of the unity pods on your territory. We hope you don't mind!"

Comment

Build Orders for 2161:

Going down the list of bases that will complete their build this turn we have 3 that’ll need new orders:

Fort Superiority: will complete a crawler, needed to ferry nuts to feed the population (it can work the farm on 80:16 if we move Ironholm’s worker there to the 2/0/1 tile on 79:13, or else it can carry nuts from Fort Liberty’s monolith if we reassign the worker there to the forested river tile on 2:20.) We’re still running short of food at Fort Soup, so either another colony pod or another crawler is needed

Olympus Academy: will complete a crawler that will be sent to work the mine to its northeast. That’ll give the base 18 minerals’ output, so we can rebuild our supply of Missile Rovers there, or else just keep churning out a crawler every 2 turns

Rio Grande: also a crawler, to be sent to Gythium Harbour to join its mate in speeding a missile cruiser via the plasma-prototyping-then-retiring route (the Maniac Maneuver)

Base 8038 (the co-ordinates of the Nexus site): We’ll need a Crypteia there asap, so I suggest we start one immediately. It’ll take 20 mins, and with the worker on a forest tile the base will produce 3 minerals, so it will still be faster building there than elsewhere and shipping one over (2Nuts being the logical place, but it needs its hoplite to free up the Amphimissile speeder there.)

Do we want to home the Hermes to Nexus (it’ll just use up 1 mineral for the rehomed scout going there) – the Hermes is currently homed to V V, and that would boost its minerals from 5 to 6

And talking of Vladivostok, if we plan to pop that pod in the fungus due south of it, we should change from a crawler to a supercrawler, or missile cruiser (or maybe another Disco Volante to take advantage of a materials pop if we are lucky again – and for OA, perhaps an amphimissile synthrover be put in the build in case the game interprets OA as being the nearest base)

And at some point we need a couple of formers over in Arcadia North – 2 or 3 tiles around Ironholm need farms put on them to support the population in that crowded corner (and maybe even a condenser somewhere for maximum effect)

Comment

Suggestion: How about upgrading the FB missile rover at the monolith between SC1 and OA instead of the one north of SC2. That way we won't have to use a MP next year getting back on our road network. As Googlie said before, having roads on our other monoliths would be useful.
                              Looking at the save, I think that rover is on a "go to" command. While normally I wouldn't, navigating that crater rim (Fort Buster - Cratersouth - Citadel) always leaves me with the feeling that I;ll slip off the road and bog down, so I use the mouse and green line to map out the course - and I must have put it to the monolith instead of just to Citadel

I'm not sure if the orders are effected upon opening the turn, or if I can cancel them before the unit moves automatically (and even if cancelling will just show "already moved" in red!!)

So, in short, we may be stymied there. Time will tell

Comment

Working...
                              X