2154: Pre-planning discussion and build/movement orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naval Affairs:

Next turn, coastal bases will be founded at Messena and at TwoNuts strand. Both will have Hoplite and Crytpeia protection, so it's suggested that they start on GeneralTacticus class cruisers and get rushed with crawlers from FB

This way, in about 4 turns, we'll have a navy of 4 GT cruisers, a gunfoil (Invincible), a couple of mercury class transports and a couple of Pegasus class transport foils

At some point we want to get some cruiser Navy Seals in the water, but that'd need a decent minerals producing coastal base (Vladivostok maybe, once its mines are in operation - or Arcadia University?) - but that's a little ways down the road for now

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
      Unless this would reduce the chance of the bait working, how about moving the supercrawler two tiles NE instead of one NE and one E? That way we're sure the crawler is safe should there be other worms hiding in the fungus.
      LOL - that's the way I had it all the time in the scenario - I just drew the picture wrong!!

(Open it via the "scenario" and "edirt scenario" keys, then just change from editor to active and hit "end turn" - the attack will then happen)
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
        The Mercury being built at GH will be rushed next turn by the crawler being produced at Fort Buster
        Just for the record, it's two turns travel time to GH. So the hurry could happen MY 2156.

Btw, I realized something. Now that Morgan has a laser foil in the waters, with a second one being commisionned in his western ocean in a few years, our GeneralTacticus Class cruisers may no longer be sufficient to defend against the Morganites. While the commando 1-2t-8 should be able to defend easily against his very green laser foils, Morgan still has the option of Long Range Fire. That puts ships against each other, weapon against weapon. So then their laser weapons could well defeat our *1*-2t-8 gunships.

So it might be wise to let a ship with a high armour always tagteam with a ship with high weapon. For example:
        a 1-2t-8 with a 4-1-8 (4 rows) impact cruiser,
        or as Googlie suggests armour our transports:
        a 0-2-7 transport with a 4-1-8 impact cruiser
        Other possible combinations: 4-2-8 cruiser costs 5 rows, 2-2-8 cruiser costs 3 rows.

So my question is, should we change our future naval construction plans based on this information?

As for our current naval construction, the cruiser in Arcadia University, we could still change that to for example a 2-2-8 cruiser (3 rows) if we wanted to: Retire the SCC GeneralTacticus unit design in the unit workshop, create the 2-2-8 design, and set AU production to that. No minerals will be lost in the switch. We could even further hurry the cruiser to completion. I guess that counts as legitimately changing your mind while the turn is still with you.
        Don't know if this option is desirable though.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

As for our current naval construction, the cruiser in Arcadia University, we could still change that to for example a 2-2-8 cruiser (3 rows) if we wanted to: Retire the SCC GeneralTacticus unit design in the unit workshop, create the 2-2-8 design, and set AU production to that. No minerals will be lost in the switch. We could even further hurry the cruiser to completion. I guess that counts as legitimately changing your mind while the turn is still with you.
          It seems bulky to tag team GT's with 4-1-8. Using 2-2-8's seems much better, and also cheaper. They shouldn't be able to beat a 2-2-8 with one ship.

On the other hand, if we tag-team, we eliminate the risk of getting probed. How about teaming a GT with a 2-2-8 ? Also almost incincible for the Morgans, and 1 mineral row cheaper.

Comment

So my question is, should we change our future naval construction plans based on this information?
            I say yes. Theyn have surprised us with the Hunter mindcontrol ploy. Let's be prepared for every contingency in the future

I have tested this and it can be done for 25 ec's This still gives us that first row of the colony pod's 3 rows completed next turn

I say we go for it. Better to upgrade now when we have the cash than after we have a few in service and lose 1 'cos of timidity now

Comment

Considering Morgans capabilities, I think we should be very careful about our ships. Yes, I mean to the level of paranoia (i.e. moving them in teams, whenever possible).

And give some protection to my trannies.
              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Some late additions based on our turnchat in the Command center

changes and rushes:

Arcadia University changed to a 2-2-8 Cruiser (Renamed SCC GeneralTacticus) and rushed to 100% completion (this means that next turn's colony pod will have its first row completed)

Gythium Harbour stayed with cosntructing a Mercury-class transport. Will be 32 mins short next turn, then with a crawler rush will be completed in 2156

Minas Tirith reactivated the retired GeneralTacticus class, renamed a CoastGuard Cruiser (1-2-8) and paid 17 ec's to complete its first row. Can be rushed next turn for 13 ec's (one of its scouts will rehome to TwoNuts Strand)

Vladivostok changed to a CoastGuard Cruiser, and 6 ec's paid to complete the first row. can be rushed next year for 15 ec's (Hermes will be rehomed to TwoNuts Strand)

Thus our six naval bases are producing a second cruiser transport, a 2-2-8 armored laser cruiser, two 1-2t-8 armored trance coastguard vessels and 2 crypteia

A question remains about rushing Tegea Harbour's crypteia. 24 ec's will complete the first row, leaving just 4 to be rushed again next turn (with 6 minerals we'd only be buying 4 minerals' worth, or 10 ec's) Is it worth doing now, for security's sake?

Here's the latest build commands:

MY 2154 - Base Production Screen

The latest "ready-to-go-if-Maniac-approves" turn is attached (with just that last partial rush to execute, if approved)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Googlie; January 2, 2005, 21:45.

Comment

Turn looks splendid to me.

Hurrying Tegea seems good to me if you want to.
                  Btw, how about letting MT's supercrawler harvest a mineral where it currently is? Better let those laggards do something useful while they're waiting for the worm.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

OK - will do on both counts (MT's extra mineral will save us 2 or 3 ec's on next turn's rush)

Shall I put TREATY back on the negotiating table for Morgan? Just to whet their appetite and to help Kassi's negotiating position?
                    Last edited by Googlie; January 2, 2005, 22:22.

Comment

Naw - on second thoughts - let them stew in vendetta for a turn - and if Kassi and Morgan reach an agreement, then they can put Treaty in the window next turn

Turn complete

Lost the former at MT - the mindworm didn't take the bait

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                        Turn complete
                        Here's the final endturn just before "Turn Complete" and the mindworm attack on the former
                        Attached Files

Comment

Here's our new budget in 2154, after our acquisitions in North Arcadia, and the University signing a submissive Pact:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X