Security Nexus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Nexus

This thread is to discuss issues regarding security/defense of the Data Angel faction. Please consider if your posts fit into this category, so it will be easier for us to have our factional matters organized for easier access.

Topics which might be discussed here:
    • Size of defensive forces, their placement, etc. For designs we may go to Design Workshop and review the designs of defensive units there.
    • Plans for future as for the defense. Scenarios of what might happen IF... This is often a very efficient way of counteracting possible invasions. We try to think as our opponets where is the easiest way to strike.
    • Infiltration security, similar to military, but with special stress on probe actions. Possible mindcontrolling, etc.
    • Anything else appropriate here.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

And just right away, I thought about discussing this issue here as the time appears to be apt for it - general form of our defense.

Defense is in my oppinion a combination of defensive units and offensive units. Defensive units should defend bases, important points on the map and other. They should also defend attacking units. Defensive forces should contain both defensive units and offensive units, e.g.
    1-2-2
    4-1-2
    While 1-2-2 ensures that 4-1-2 is safe during the turn of the attacker, the offensive unit launches the counterstrike during our turn. Often the opposite units after the attack are exhausted too, so this much is easier the task, although, the attacker, if approprietly prepared, will have its own defensive units in place.
    Anyway, we should keep at least one or even more offensive units in bases, bunkers, etc. together with defensive units for counterstrikes. Rovers are good for it - fast, able to relocate quickly. Bonus on open field.

Any thoughts?
    Mart
    Map creation contest

Comment

If the cost is the same, I can go for 1-2-2 defenders in the field. But for our bases we're better off with 1-3-1 IMO.

Also, we don't have 4-1-1's yet.

I guess that first priority is still building up probe defences, but I'm worried about that Morgan message about a Spartan transport on their western shore moving south.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The units 1-2-2 and 4-1-2 are just example.

If morganities say truth, we get plasma technology in 2161, then I will take care of designing units and submit them for our discussion. We hopefully will not need synthmethal units to build.
        Impact units - we may have them soon by probing Yang offending units in our territory. We may choose the time.

I am also very much worried by it - Spartan task force at sea. We are deeper inland with our most important bases, but is the Spartan force of the Morganic western coas supposed to keep us at bay - the same way they launched the sneaky attack on Morgan Industries? We cannot know that. We might be attacked if cooperating closer with Morganities. I would be extremely cautios here.

We have to buld our defences. COP units first, possibly in large number even 2 units per base - just to be sure, to make others require 2 or more probes to kill our defences in case of war.
        Then plasma defensive units. I would see both 1-3-1 and 1-3-2. One unit 1-3-1 per base and 1-3-2 as moving defensive troops for fast relocation to places where needed. With good road network we may be able to move them pretty easy around when needed.
        Mart
        Map creation contest

Comment

I would keep it at 1 COP/base, and the rest offensive probes like foils and speeders. It keeps us versatile and a 2 movement probe can cover 2 bases with our current spreading when necessary (I'm thinking of far inland bases who don't need double protection).
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

131 for defence and the spys could be our offence through espionage etc untill we can make 412 or 411 for defence and trasport them by rover.
            You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
            There is a reason for everything.

Comment

Times of being innocent and defensless are probably over. What if that Spartans have that fleet west of Morganities to actually hit us in case we get along with Morgan Industries?

Proposed Plan for Plasma Defense Force - initial stage.

Designs are ready. With Garrisons and Plasma Defense rovers we can have now quite strong defense military. We will probably probe Yang soon for offensive units.

Presently EM builds Resreation Commons. We hurry it now in 2161. then in 2162 we have 10 minerals accumulated - switch to Command Center. Since we have 10 minerals there we hurry it for like 58 EC if I estimate correctly. we should still have enough energy for probing Yang. In 2163 we have 10 minerals accumulated, then start Garrison unit, 3 rows of prototype. In 2164 we have 21/24, we can hurry it for 6-2 = 4 EC. In 2165 we get first plasma unit. Which due to being prototype is for command center already veteran - wealth negative = hardened.

If 2165 is late we may hurry in 2163 for like 10 to 12 EC that prototype, or maybe relocate to EM yet another crawler and get 1-3-1 in 2164.

Other base good for making military might be KC??
              also build Command Center then (hardened) disciplined units. Maybe a Gplex?
              Mart
              Map creation contest

Comment

This endangers our COP building program.

Btw, just browsed a bit in Yangs' bases, I suspect that transport I saw earlies carried probes for I see a probe team on a seasquare in one of the basescreens.

Edit: Yes, it's near Fellowship City. The target is not the Hive then, probably the Gaians or us.
                Last edited by GeoModder; February 24, 2005, 06:18.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

We currently have 2 COP units. In 2162 3 more, if we choose KC, RPS and SH to make them. In 2162 we will have 6 total and possibly shortly more. I think COP program will not be obstructed.

We need military, not only for defense from Hive. Spartans may also choose to do a little bashing of Data Angels in the near future - let us do not forget about that. Now only EM would take care of it, then we could engage more bases in production of military units after making COPs.

If we make more COPs in KC, SH, RPS we can do it shortly - they almost do 1 in a single turn.
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest

Comment

I say yes that way what does not have a defence unit in it has a COP in it.

Comment

Defense Plan against suspected Hive attack

If you take a look at screenie in 2159, the two 4-2-1 hive units are on rocky tile near Labor Network base. This gives them the opportunity to enter the forest 2 tiles east from HG base. If also the impact rover enters the tile east next to HG base - we will have a bit difficult situation. If what I write here will be true in 2162, then I believe Yang between our 2162 and 2163 launches a sneak attack with Impact rover. We should then probe the impact yet in 2162, as well as that problem making synth infantry.

After the probing, our probe team will have to unfortunatelly stay there. We will have 2 move points with our new impact rover. We should then start to work on our new design - to start building impact units. Back to HG base, unfortunatelly those 2 infantry units of hive would be outside our sensor range. If we use that impact rover to attack them twice we get first attack like 4:3. Second attack may thus be not succesful.
                      Another possibility will be to immediately withdraw the impact rover freshly probed to HG and sacrifice the probe team. It will be destroyed by one hive unit, the second one will then enter the forest next to HG as single. Then impact will be able to take it out with bonus from the sensor, around 5:3. The second hive unit will probably follow next turn, hopefully will be defeated also without problems.

The synth can be probed by newly completed COP in KC base.

Problem also - if probe team leaves HG base in 2162, the new COP can arrive from HS in 2164 - we will have HG base "empty" for two turns.

Any comments?
                      Mart
                      Map creation contest

Comment

Can't we upgrade our scout rover (in HG atm I suppose) to an impact one when we have probed the Hive impact rover? I suppose we might not have enough cash for that after probing the Hive one?
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Dont like loosing a spy but plan "B" sounds the best for success.

Comment

Yet another thing to discuss

Proposal of defensive unit instant monolith upgrade

I know, that some of us would maybe prefer to upgrade on monoliths the commando status units, but I would like to actually propose the other way around procedure for defensive units, e.g. 1-3-1 and 1-3-2. These units would be upgraded just before the first fight, which is right after they were built.

What is my reasoning for this.
                            Defending against missile units (6) on attack is going to be difficult for plasma units. Having this one morale point higher may be in some cases the deciding element if the unit survives or not, yet maybe in the first fight or second. I think this maybe worth of upgrading them early. What is benefit of ellite unit if it is never going to be commando, since it will be killed as veteran for example.

For attack units, we may have different policy.
                            Any thoughts?
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest

Comment

I like that thinking... though how many monoliths do we have? I've come across quite a few of mine in SP games disappearing rather quickly, doesn't the chance increase after every upgrade?
                              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                              X