No announcement yet.

Road to Lucidity – The Data Angels History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this is the actual recording of the history, instead of a IC story. So I think I need to use the actual base names. I'm using actual base names and people names and titles for the other factions. I thought it might add some flavor for the Angels if we use agent number. But I would have to reveal these numbers at some point of time in the history.
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Re: 2101 Angels

Originally posted by Snowflake
      In the mean time, datajack GeoModder opened his touchpanel and started the decryption sequence. He surfed around the clouds for a little while, before he logged off. “Why are you logging off?” A surprised inquiry was heard from his back. GeoModder turned around, and looked into a pair of concerned eyes. It was quiet in his camp. He could hear the sounds of water splashing from the river outside of the camp. There was much in her eyes, like the dataclouds twirling and flowing. He was thankful that he never needed to decipher before he could read her concerns and understandings. He sighed to himself, and gave her a thin smile before he turned back and logged on again.
      Snowflake, may I suggest the following changes? Nice intro though...

In the mean time, DataJack 009 opened his touchpanel and started the decryption sequence. He surfed around the clouds for a little while, before he logged off. “Why are you logging off?” A surprised inquiry was heard from his back. 009 turned around, and looked into a pair of concerned eyes. "Because... " 009 started, and then his voice trailed off, allowing him to hear his surroundings. It was quiet in his camp, he could hear the sounds of water splashing from the river outside of the camp. There was much in her eyes, like the dataclouds twirling and flowing. He was thankful that he never needed to decipher before he could read her concerns and understandings. He sighed to himself, and gave her a thin smile which became a wicked one before he turned back and logged on again.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Ah, then using character names would be better then, until the game ended. Same with base names... just have to wait until we've map traded with somebody as far as the base names being released... actually with everybody, IMHO... we're preferring to be rather secretive, I think.
        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Why not 'revealing' the agent codes with some hints in the history story then?

Everyone will for sure know that 042 is 'nigma if the record shows he's gone after a few turns.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Good point... eaten by a fungal tower...
            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Re: Re: 2101 Angels

Originally posted by GeoModder

Snowflake, may I suggest the following changes?
              I made a few changes. How does it read now?

Currently I'm thinking I'll using the agent codes. When people interacts with each other later in the story they'll eventually know which codes is which person.

As for FlameFlash's concern about base names being released, I'm not going to release the history to anybody until much later, when every teams considers ok. For example, after 50 turns you might want to release the history of the first 10 years, etc.
              Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I would also like to have suggestions about the introduction paragraph before turn 2101. For Morgans I used a morgan quote, for spartans somebody else's quote, Gaians a quote from their own writings. Right now I'm using my little haiku for spiders. But I'm sure there are better quotes that could represent the Angels.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I think I found a hidden speech from 001 (aka Sinder Roze). It's a voice file. I'll try to attach it later...
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

2102 Angels

The video image decayed into a stream of static on her touch screen. Datajack 003 entered the command to re-apply the encryption. A new image appeared out of the dataclouds. The river disappearing into a raised ridge with some green rainy squares and red fungus squares … Pholus Ridge, 003 typed in a name for the landmark. On her back, Sinder 042 stood behind the chair, looking rather fondly at her. … Looks like she’d be able to handle all of these without me … “Tell Zerek don’t touch that unity pod. He had been going too fast. He’ll have no strength left to run if he encounters a mindworm.”

"It's a monolith all right... no better name for it, really..." Datajack 005 was outside in an envirosuit talking to himself. Not caring for the politics going on inside Enigma Machine only because he volunteered to come to this world to get away from politics. "Solid... stone? Ancient technology?" He sighed. It'd been too long since he'd even walked on solid ground that didn't protect him from vacuum by only a few centimeters at worst sometimes. 005 watched for a minute at the workers happily working around the monolith. It was certainly raising morale ... and could conduct quick repairs? Strange.

005 looked over the vast unexplored territory, taking a few more pictures of the strange obelisk-like monolith before traversing the short distance back to Enigma Machine and his temporary quarters. He really wished they’d start building some colony pods soon after they finish the new probe team training programs in the two existing bases. He was looking forward to have a larger room in a new base, being one of the 'founding programmers' under the Sinder. Hopefully more of these great monoliths could be found and harnessed. In such a hostile looking planet, it was nice to know at least one thing was working for them.
                    Last edited by Snowflake; July 30, 2004, 12:40.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Nothing specular for 2103 except for a monolith. Should I skip it?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

2103 Angels

Another monolith … Whatever civilization that had occupied this planet before, it must have been rather fond of this area. 005 seemed to be spending a lot of time out there with the newest one. What did he think he was going to find?

Going through the days since Data Angels’ arrival on the planet, Sinder 042 admitted to himself that the luck goddess had been treating him rather nicely. Time to be careful not to abuse his luck though, he thought.

Finishing his last few keystrokes, he signed off as 042 and turned around. “You have it all to yourself now, Maki.”

This was the first time he addressed her using her name. Somehow she sensed that he would not come back. “Where are you off to?” She tried hard to stay as impassive as possible.

“It’s a secret.” He winked.

“Be careful.” Her eyes reddened when his back disappeared out of the door.

Sorry to jump in and edit, I just thought a running gag of me being obsessed with monoliths might be amusing... especially now that Maki popped another one.
                        Last edited by Snowflake; July 30, 2004, 12:38.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

What is Nessus Canyon?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

It's a landmark available for map builders in SMAC(X). If you check our screenshots you'll see it. It gives +1 minerals for every tile in it, and it looks like a 'dent' in the map. It's offen close to sea level qua height, making it vulnerable to sinking.

Compare it with the Grand Canyon in the USA, or Marineris Vallis on Mars...

Which reminds me --> how do we feel for this as our faction quote? Digged it up in the unused section of SMAX...
                            Attached Files
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

A yes, 024, it is 042 (E_N) who goes on a mission, not 005 (FF)

And the attachment above is the voice file I talked about earlier.
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Oops thanks!

I need the words spelled out for me.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                                X