X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus Pirates PEACE faction. Introduction and FAQ

Pirates Expeditionary Armada and Chironian Explorers. PEACE

Well welcome there maties the sloop is launched. We are adventurers and rogues. We enjoy wine, persons of the oppos.. ( whatever takes your fancy) sex, sea shanties, L3wting and of course piracy. And a lot more.

We want to rule the seas and just maybe the planet.

We are also democratic in the tradition of earlier pirates.

Suggestions of things to be decided

First you need to advise us what you want to be called and perhaps what title or position on board ship and responsibilities. First mates, Medic, Signals, Cook, cabin boy/girl?

What is the name of our main ship. What names for our bases. What weapons.
    laser cutlass? Fusion Albatross?

How we play the turn. How we decide game moves. Who actually plays the turn and posts it. How do we discuss things by email to all of us or simply post here.

Our overall strategy for the game.

We will all have the little pirate icon but would we also like a minature pirate skull and crossbones added to our signatures.

Role play ?

Our language in the private threads and public (oh har, me hearties) threads.

Our password for the Pirates in this game is

neptune note all lower case.

It is very important to keep this secret to ourselves. There is the suggestion that the turn, zipped, be posted in the main Turn Tracking Thread, but I think that's a little risky. It is as easy to send the turn to 2/3 of us and for one of us to post it in this forum for others to look at.

Views. Suggestions
    Last edited by Hercules; September 30, 2003, 19:37.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Last edited by Googlie; October 14, 2003, 13:33.

Comment

subbing...
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Concerning the overall stategy:

When can we expect attack upon our naval bases?
        My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Another FAQ: Through which channels is diplomacy conducted?

Comment

When can we expect attack upon our naval bases?
            from another faction? or from sealurks?

if another faction, they have to discover doc flex first, then build a foil, then find you - I'd say prolly in 20 turns or so ...

if a sealurk, I've no idea what the in-game formula is. If it's anything like the formula for the likelihood of finding one of the multiple mindworm pops it's prolly something like ..... #Turns = 75 - (n * DIFF) where n = # sea bases in the game and DIFF = dificulty level (at Transcend it'd be 5)

G.

Comment

Of course it may have nothing to do with # sea bases, as i've had coastal baseds attacked by sealurks as well - it might even be tied to your eco damage

G.

Comment

It would be a very ugly situation if another team built a large navy, after the doc.flexibilty. They could, in theory, invade all of us easily with naval vessels? (if we are not prepared for it, that is)
                Well, is the sealurk such a big threat to the bases?

Comment

If another team invade our base, the extra min we have disappears as I understand it. This tends to throw the base into some sort of disarray.

To really control the seas we need the MMC and the Marine detachment ability which comes with Adaptive doctrine.

Flameflash wished to be involved in Diplomacy and has yet to open a thread with a suitably apt title. But no hurry yet as we're a few turns from meeting another faction.
                  Last edited by Hercules; June 4, 2003, 20:53.

Comment

Sealurks really aren't that big of a threat... it's all based on eco damage from my awareness of it (play the Pirates a lot).

As far as the other matter, yes, we need a lot of sea bases and naval units, the problem can be fixed a little by using Doc: Air and clean fighters when we get them to sink some of the boats...
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

That's right Flame... The air-units are of great help to sea bases.
                      Once I got attacked by an huge AI player (Usurper) who used loads of conventional cruise-missiles against both my sea bases and my ships. Years of missile-rain... must have been 30+ missiles alltoghether. So I lost a few bases and many ships, and learned a lesson. Few turns later I managed to achieve economic victory, but they were militaristicly stronger so I was glad it was over.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
                        It would be a very ugly situation if another team built a large navy, after the doc.flexibilty.
                        Well - you have the monopoly on that tech right now. You'll likely be the first to make contact, with your 4-tile moving ships, so think long and hard about what you want to trade.

You'll be cash rich with ocean podpopping, so maybe you want to guard your own techs and buy from the others?

Of course, as soon as you get Planetary Networks you can get going on foil probes before the others get their probe defenses up - there are always enough coastal bases around to let you steal a few techs

G.

Comment

From the AI at first I presume otherwise there might be the small matter of an early vendetta.

Comment

You're 1/2 way to Air Power (with Doc Flex). SFF is the other half.

Your beeline for it is Ind base and Applied Physics, to give you HEC, which is 1/2 of SFF. And Biogenics which together with Social Psych and Ethical Calc gives you Gene Splicing, SFF's other 1/2

That way, by the time you get air power, your ships have missile weapons and plasma armour, which pretty much lets you bully any tech out of any faction with little fear of reprisal

Isn't that how everyone plays the Pirates?

IMO Ind Auto is much overrated for the Pirates, except as a stepping stone to Doc Init and the MCC, and for seabases the CDF is almost worthless

G.

Comment

Hmmm - reprise on the CDF - I just did some scenario testing.

A disciplined gunfoil vs a 1-1-1 disciplined scout in a seabase

odds are 4 to 5 attack vs defense (scout gets the 25% base defence bonus)

Put in a perimeter defense, no change, it's still 4: 5

Put in a naval yard and it's 5 : 10 (base defence +25% is replaced by the naval yard's +100%)

Now put a 1-1-1 amphibuous scout in a trannie and attack

with no perim or yard, it's 1:1 (a +25% infantry attacking bonus versus a +25% base defense bonus)

Put in a naval yard. No change, same bonuses apply

Put in a perim defense, and the odds change to 5:8 (still the attacking +25% bonus, but now the +25% base defender's bonus has been replaced by the perim's +100% defense bonus)

So what does it all mean?

For seabase impregnability, get the CDF and the MCC (and the CA wouldn't be bad either for the +100% defense against air attacks)

G

Comment

Working...
                              X