The Network Node

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Main_Brain
    and build even more CPs&Scouts instead of Formers..
    what are you, crazy?

Comment

So I'm nuts and he's crazy

Along the lines of DE's request, TKG, will you create a "Network Node: First Beeline" thread?

Z

Comment

Wow, I’ve been away for a while and things have certainly moved along here quickly… hmm, how to business… first a well due congratulations to TKG for winning the election for Director of Science (I’m certain you’ll do a great job, afterall we agree on almost everything ).

As for SotHB, I ran several tests on it as well, and our chances of getting it if we do not go for Social Psych first are well pretty much nil; that and we have to wait and see where we land first since our starting position also played a large role in determining whether we receive secrets first. Though from the looks of it the majority wants CE first and I strongly doubt that we will in that case decide to go for Social Psych in stead of CE.
        You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

I think we hsould move as quickly as possible to get Secrect of the human Brain, aside from the University we have the best chance and should take advantage of it.
          Proud member of The Human Hive, working for a better future on Chiron, today!

Comment

Originally posted by TKG
            errr, Secrets of the human brain is not in the poll

Hmm... must have been drinking something. Or my brain was just reaching the astral level
            You make my life and times
            A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

Secrets: It can be done

I ran 3 simulations, in all three selecting Centauri Ecology as the first tech to get. In two of these, I was unsuccessful at getting Secrets first, but in one I was able to pull it off.

In each of my first two simulations, the second tech menu did not list Social Psych as a choice. The third one did, both times, but University researched Secrets before I had completed Psych 101.

Being a little stubborn, I started a third game to clinch the matter. And I made sure to build my second base as early as possible, and luckily my free CP was not annihilated by mind worms, as it had been in my first trial. (Yes, I got a free CP all three times on Thinker -- don't really know if that's normal or not, since I mostly play Talent or Librarian.)

Through the SE report, I discovered that raising the research rate would be pointless, because of penalties associated with -1 Efficiency. So the tech-rush strategy I have used so productively as Gaians was a non-starter. Nevertheless, I began exploring and building, lucking out and getting free recycling tanks in my second base from a pod.

Like before, I was not able to research Social Psych as my second tech choice. I chose Mobility instead for fast scouts, and the investment paid off when my rover corps got Info Networks from a pod. Due to exploring a large section of the map, I was able to expand into 4 bases, one in the Uranium Flats.

By this time, I had already started researching Social Psych as my third tech. This time, University did not come upon the Secrets in mid-research. After Psych, Secrets was not available, so I went with Ethical Calculus.

At this point, I had hardly made every right decision for quick research. I'd opted for Mobility rather than Info Networks, and then built a rover fleet rather than formers. Still, I was able to research Ethical Calc, and the University had still not stumbled upon the mechanisms of self-awareness. I immediately started researching Secrets, then changed to Democracy and upped my research rate to 70% -- which now improved the research rate due to efficiency gains.
              With the way things were going, I might have come out with the Secrets high and dry in 13 turns. As it turned ouit, though, I only had to wait 2 turns -- until the completion of my second Network Node, which gave me the Secrets I had been waiting for.

None of this proves it's easy or likely to get Secrets of the Human Brain first -- it took a significant deal of luck. But it is possible, and I'd like to push for it as we make later tech decisions, even if it is a gamble. With Secrets first, and Information Networks on the side (either through pod popping or "second priority" researching) we can leap ahead of the technological competition. Switch to Democracy/Planned and we can have any SP we want.

Just my two cents.
              Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Re: Secrets: It can be done

Originally posted by AdamTG02 Switch to Democracy/Planned and we can have any SP we want.
                Demo/Planned isn't viable until we've reached critical mass. The loss of free minerals from the -2 Support is too great a hit at that stage.
                Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

and pod-popping will be difficult without the rovers
                  <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                  Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Why? Aren't we playing pods off?
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

no

well, people, use the info Adam has provided when you vote on whether or not to take the secrets.
                      Last edited by Method; August 31, 2002, 17:03.

Comment

TKG = second tech? which one?
                        Bunnies!
                        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

social psych....but have some independant thought!

Comment

Great! That's what I voted as well! Since we started near a rocky mineral square I presumed we would make our HQ already our first SP base instead of using that base to pump out CPs as I usually do, thus a rec commons comes handy then.
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

i hate the tech tree from SMAC sorry i know the civtree but not the smac tree
                              Bunnies!
                              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Don't tell me you like Civ3!
                                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
                                X