Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Network Node

The Network Node

This is the network node, where you come to discuss our faction's research. be it a suggestion for research goal, demand of more labs facilities, or a comment about energy allocation or SE, this is the place to say it!
    Last edited by Method; October 1, 2002, 16:48.

Trancend now!

I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

*looks at his watch*

i'd say we're looking at 250-300 years.

seriously though, there's no need to spam here...do that in the rec commons.

Comment

My apologies, but that is what I would like to see... us going higher than our limited fleshy forms...

Anyway, I haven't heard anything much about what was going to happen now that we've gotten our science director in place. TKG, what are the plans?

Comment

well, i've already ordered a team of researchers to study Biogenetics, and they tell me they should reach a major breakthrough by the time we arrive at Chiron.

As for research after planetfall, you can expect a poll shortly, but if it were up to me, i'd take centauri ecology, and social psych (in that order) as the first techs to be researched.

Comment

Centauri Ecology is paramount. As soon as we can get Formers out there the better. Not to mention we need all the headstart we need for the Weather Paradigm.
            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Start with Centauri Ecology, then beeline to Secrets of the Human Brain (gives Fundy and Trance, stepping stone to CentEmpathy for Green and worms, and a free advance if we're the first there).

From there, it depends on our situation.
              oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

well, voltaire ran several tests (or was it zakharov 7?) and we really dont stand much of a chance to get secrets first if we take ecology as our first tech.

Comment

It seems to be leading the poll, though...
                  You make my life and times
                  A book of bluesy Saturdays

Comment

Actually, I believe it was Adam that ran the tests...

Comment

Originally posted by Ade
                      It seems to be leading the poll, though...
                      errr, Secrets of the human brain is not in the poll

Comment

CE is.
                        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

As I recall, a few of us ran tests. I can't speak for the others because I don't recall clearly, but the thread should still be in the archives if anyone wants to look.

For my part I took Doctrine: Mobility for quick pod-popping first, passing up Social Psych. The next two tech choices, Social Psych wasn't even an option. After researching two other technologies, I finally was able to start on Social Psych... only to have another faction reach the Secrets a few turns later.

The second trial I ran, using the same conditions, I chose Social Psych the first chance I got. The next tech menu did not list secrets, but the third one did, and I got it before anyone else.

Two tests is a slim sample, so I'd recommend looking up Voltaire's tests, or running your own, if you want to make generalizations.

On a more RP-ish note:
                          FlameFlash, the ability to transcend our physical forms may seem far away, but several scientific analysts believe that unlocking the Secrets of the Human Brain underlying consciousness might only be a few decades away. If we can understand the workings of the mind, transcendence cannot be far away.

(Mm, several fringe religious authors have claimed that transcending our physical forms is imminent, too, but I won't count them.)
                          Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Heh, I didn't do any Secrets tests, I just pointed out that it was definately not a sure thing...

Centauri Ecology definately should be our first tech (so far over 80% of the voters agree). From there I push strongly for a goal of Industrial Economics so that we can go Free Market right away. On Thinker with the Peacekeepers especially, there's no reason not to in the early game. The money (what is it, 32 energy credits on Thinker?) will be easily paid back by Free Market's benefits, and even size 3 bases are stable. Hopefully if others support me on this, our Director of Social Engineering will be pressured to go Free Market, which was the clear and wise goal of the "runner-up" Archaic. It is my experience that income nearly doubles and turns per tech nearly halves upon switching to Free Market.

C'mon, Secrets supporters, give me your reasons for that beeline, and hopefully I can convince you that a strong Economic system is more critical than anything else early on.

Z

Comment

Mhh CE-Social Psych-SoHB
                              is One Option but we need to consider:
                              SP-SoHB which will assure Secrets..
                              and build even more CPs&Scouts instead of Formers..
                              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Working...
                              X