Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New poll about modifications to the next ACDG game

Alright, new poll! Yeay!!

Ok since there have been quite some amount of discussions in favor of and against different modifications to the next ACDG game, some of us believe that it may be necessary to run a new poll. This poll will be open ended so that every one gets to vote in due time. The result will be evaluated when it is close to the openning of the new game and any conflicting results from previous polls will be overrided.

Anybody who has voted must post how he voted in this thread. Any unsigned vote will be deducted from the tally.

The options are:
  • No change: Straight SMAX rules and settings with CMN created scenarios
  • Only changes that the CMN will need to make in creating the senerios: Such as disabling certain SP (eg. Empath Guild), etc. This also can include changes in the #UNITS list by the CMN, as proposed by Geo.
  • Changes that require everyone who plays the turn to do something in his/her own pcs (No change needed if you are only viewing the game): Changes in chopper ranges, etc. Essentially anything if we feel will likely increase the playability of the game. There will be separate polls later for each modifications if this is the winning option.
  • xenodoughnuts: The obligatory banana option.

Have fun voting!

[Edit] I edited the explanation of the third option a little to reflect Maniac's suggestion. If possible could one of the moderaters modify the poll options for me? Thanks!
No changes
8.33%
CMN only changes
62.50%
Changes that require everyone do something in his/her own pcs
16.67%
Xenodoughnut
12.50%
Last edited by Snowflake; June 4, 2004, 23:47.
Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

I voted CMN only changes.
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I also voted for CMN only changes.

The thread containing much pre-polling discusion is here.
      Play hangman.

Comment

I vote CMN-only changes as well. Increases the playability and commitment of the more casual team members IMHO.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Re: New poll about modifications to the next ACDG game

Originally posted by HongHu
          Changes that require everyone do something in his/her own pcs:
          Fortunately no one is suggesting that!
          Allow me to summarize a few things said in the previous thread:
          • IIRC Kody or johndmuller are willing to create a bat file that swaps the standard and ACDG alphax.txt files. Such a procedure would only take a few seconds: no more time than necessary to zip and unzip any other PBEM file.
          • For simply viewing the ACDG turn you wouldn't have to change the alphax.txt file. It's only when you're moving choppers that there would be a difference. The turnplayer is the only one allowed to move military units, so it's only one person of each faction that would have to run a bat file once a week or so before and after playing the turn. Certainly not all participants of the Democracy Game.
          • Currently the only possible changes to the alphax.txt accepted are reducing the chopper movement points by two and changing the prerequisite of the Cloudbase Academy. As a consequence there won't be any difference before Mind/Machine Interface is researched. The alphax.txt swapping would only have to be done in the post-MMI period, which is usually a shorter portion of the game than the pre-MMI period, even if the game doesn't end in a chopper massacre.

So a poll option that more accurately represents the situation, thereby allowing possible ACDG participants to make the best informed decision , would be:
          Changes that require the turnplayer to run a bat file before and after playing the turn in the post-MMI period
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

CMN only changes for me.
            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

According to Maniac post, I voted CMN only. A lot of people do not understand the options yet, I am afraid.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I voted CMN only. Disable the EG and the CBA. Add a self-imposed rule that choppers can never attack bases, only units in the open, and we've solved the chopper problem as well as forced teams to think "outside the box" on new military strategies

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
                  According to Maniac post, I voted CMN only.
                  I'm not advocating to vote CMN only. I'm saying the poll options don't accurately represent the situation.

Originally posted by obstructor
                  Add a self-imposed rule that choppers can never attack bases
                  Yeah, if everyone can agree to that, I'd like that better than reducing movement points.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

I'm not advocating to vote CMN only. I'm saying the poll options don't accurately represent the situation.
                    This is what I meant too.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Can we get this cleared up for good? I thought I understood the options, but some of the posts have convinced me I did not.

What EXACTLY can the CMN do? Disable SPs I know about, but is there anything else? We voted for disabling the EG and shifting the CBA further into the tree, but what about the choppers? We voted for that change too.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Voted CMN changes only.

For the four turns or so I played for the Drones, about half the time I forgot to save a just-before-ending-turn file so team members could see it. I can't imagine people won't occasionally forget to swap alphax.txt, even if it's easy.
                        "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's? Pay no attention to Caesar. He doesn't have a clue what's really going on." -Cat's Cradle

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                          What EXACTLY can the CMN do? Disable SPs I know about, but is there anything else? We voted for disabling the EG and shifting the CBA further into the tree, but what about the choppers? We voted for that change too.
                          Disabling secret projects and introducing units with special abilities is something the CMN can do without the need for team members to tinker with their alphax.txt file. Moving secret projects in the tech tree is something that the team members have to do for themself, is it by copying the CMN alphax.txt file or adjusting things themself doesn't matter.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

But as it stands, this poll over-rides any previous polls that require other action, so if the majority says CMN only - which looks likely atm - then reducing chopper movement, moving SPs around etc won't happen, even though they might have been voted for in the past.
                            Play hangman.

Comment

This is what happens when poll is made in haste. I suggest we reset the poll, since HongHu explained all options clearely only after some people have already voted.

Comment

• Working...
                                X