World settings: Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World settings: Discussion thread

In order to actually help us all decide what we want from this game, this thread is open to discuss which world setup options are best.

First is the world size: The bigger the world the more we can all grow before encountering each other, and the more options we will have of expanding if we DO encounter another faction early. But this also means that contact is likely to be later, along with all the extra rp and in-game stuff involved with other factions that you may be really looking forward to participating in.

Options are Tiny, Small, Standard, Large and Huge. With as many human factions as we have (4), perhaps Standard or Large would be good bets.

Second is water %age: Oceanic bases come a little later, and are a bit expensive, but are very productive or food and energy. Also more water means that sea warfare is more ikely to be joined, and AIr units become more important for interdicting navies and reaching other landmasses. Perhaps the 60% average would be best here.

Rainfall dictates how many good food tiles there will be, in effect. Arid would just be hurting everyone, and since I think we would rather get our factions moving more quickly, I'd suggest Rainy.

Erosion tells us how uneven the land will be. Flat is easy to build on and terraform, but Mountainous gives you more minerals to work. Perhaps the balanced average, Rolling, gives us what we need in these two important aspects.

Finally native life: The Gaians and any faction with positive Planet ratings can gain some advantage with this, as it allows them to capture Native life and use it as scouts and attackers. To others native life is just a nuisance, except for the planetpearls found from killing it. As good management can negate the bad effects of worms, I think we should go for moderate or lots of native life, to allow the Gaians a chance to use this strategy (so far unseen in the ACDGs).
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Instead of explaining your opinions here, why not just vote for them, with a comment in the thread to say why, if you like.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

But if we have a poll on as the discussion is progressing we haven't had time to decide. These are my instant opinions, and may not necessarily be the ones that I settle on. My point is I don't think it's a good idea to have a vote before a discussion. Just like it's not a good idea to demand eveyone join a faction if the design of those factions was not discussed and decided beforehand.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

MWIA makes a very valid point, Jam.

Though how much discussion is really needed for the planet's settings? I can see this for the rules and the alphax.txt mod threads... and discussion is still going on there (rather than voting) but what much is there to talk about here? IMHO world settings are mostly one's opinions.
        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Not so they dictate which faction has a natural advantage.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

How so?

If we were playing Pirates again I could understand the need for them wanting a lot of water... but otherwise, what is there to discuss?
            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

If Spartans are on a small world, we'll do well (other factions within reach for invasion).

If we're on a Huge world, we'll suck.

If Gaians have lots of fungus, they'll do well (lots of worms).

If they have none, they'll suck.

See?

Comment

Well the poll shows that by this, both Gaians and Spartans shall suck.
                We are doomed.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

[Enigma]

w00t!

[/Enigma]
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

...Leaving Tass's faction with the ability to outcash the Angels and win.

[Enigma]
                    DAMN YOU ALL
                    [/Enigma]

Comment

Working...
                    X