Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a very interesting idea. I do have a tilt of my own though.

First I agree with Impaler that it isn't necessary for it to be a in game team if it is supposed to be a special faction which will not participate the game as the other teams. The reasons that some in game mechanics may be needed such as ecs for awards are not sufficient enough for me to agree it to be included as a ingame team. It certainly alters the game balance if awards are awarded to teams according to machanisms other than that of the game (eg. debates etc.). If a Olympic style competition is deemed appropriate and welcome in the game, I belive ecs can be gathered from all participating teams to generate the awards. If a faction needs in game help such as ecs or units, it can try obtain such through regular diplomatic channels with the regualer participating factions.

However, I see this idea has great potential as a non in game guild. It could be lead by a few people that are not affliated with any of the in game factions. Then other players can apply to join, and be judged based on different criteria, such as gaming skills, or roleplay standards, and be accepted into the guild. The guild can offer many services to the planet. It can serve as the library of the planet, where history iss recorded, literature is collected, human intelligent is exercised. Classes of different levels about the game play could be offered. Questions of certain gaming issue could be submitted without sensitive information and solved by the guild members as case studies. They should not have any authorities to influence the game, all their influence would be based on their reputation, because the guild will represent the wisest talents on the planet.
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

And on the off chance that we're powermongering bastards who have no respect for anything but our own victory?
      /me thinks you have too much faith in your fellow man

The reason Kody proposed an in-game faction is because without in-gamedness the forum merely becomes another place to gain postcount.

I'm all for the ECs and Votes reward idea.
      It takes challenges to a new level.
      I'm willing to fight on a new level - aren't you?

Comment

It doesn't have anything to do with level.

As for postcount increase, it should be a private forum that is moderated by the elders of the guild (who doesn't belong to a faction). If he is a good enough mod, we should trust that spams would be moderated. Not everybody would be able to join the guild. It would be an honor if somebody is elite enough to be included.

Requests from factions could be PMed to the elders of the guild, then the elders post the request in their forum, without revealing the sender's faction. The solution will be provided back to the sender through PM.

The history and couses will be prepared inside the guild and then published periodically in the public forum.

As for the chance that we are all warmongers who do not respect anything but our own victory, this is exactly why this guild should not be a in game faction. This way for those who do not believe in the guild, they could simply choose not to interact with it. For those who treasure the intelligence power of the guild, they can of course choose to rely upon them in time of need.
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
          As for postcount increase, it should be a private forum that is moderated by the elders of the guild (who doesn't belong to a faction). If he is a good enough mod, we should trust that spams would be moderated.
          Private Babel forum?
          That stops the spam, but kills it outright. Not enough motive to join.
          In Babel, there is at least the motive of EC - which everyone is into.

Making it an elitist camp goes against the original idea, of having it an open RP forum that everyone can go to (including those who are LFG).
          That's 80% of the point - a place where everyone can meet and speak the same language; a faction that is free to everyone.
          It's not the Shadow Ministry, should never be the Shadow Ministry, and I am against the idea of ever turning it into the Shadow Ministry.

If you make it private, take it out of the game, and remove the spam - you'll kill it outright.
          Being public was the original idea, there's plenty of support for a public thing, not many for an elitist RP camp.
          Being in-game gives everyone a reason to attend and debate - you'd be surprised how the scent of money can draw people.

The ToB is an excellent idea for all of:
          1. A new level of competition
          2. A RP forum
          3. A place for everyone to gather
          4. A sanctuary of strategy and knowledge
          It covers all motives for playing.
          What more could you ask for?

Comment

Not sure what you are refering to by your first point, are you talking about the OCC aspect?

Point 2 and 3 can certainly be achieved through our public forum here. What's the purpose having two public forums?

Point 4 with a roleplay style is exactly what I'm suggesting.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

*ahem*
              The affects of making it an in-game faction with real rewards:

You get both the RPs AND the Gamers in.
              They can contribute RP AND GP information.
              So instead of it being an RP centre, it's a centre for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                Would you recognise a competition that nets you 50ECs?
                Think of it as a mercenary mission.
                The problem is that Sparta and Gaia have much fewer members than Morgan or Angels. As a consequence - certainly after we meet other factions and will have to spend time on diplomacy - we're much less likely to be able to spend enough time on preparing debates etcetera, and those debates will just be free energy credits for the populous factions.
                Debates in the first two or three decades before factions meet each other would be nice to keep boredom from setting in while waiting on the turn, but I don't think they will be needed later, and nor do I see the need for energy credits and an in-game faction - that's forcing all factions to participate, even if they don't want to.

Not everybody would be able to join the guild. It would be an honor if somebody is elite enough to be included.
                I have to agree with Enigma_Nova. Why do you want to create elite cliques like the Shadow Ministry and now this Babel elite forum?? Remember this is supposed to be a democracy game, and let's not repeat the mistakes of the previous ACDG.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Well if everybody is in then what is the difference from the public forum we already have? I thought one of the reasons that this would be an ingame faction is that it will have its own private forum. I was only suggesting that it could still have its own forum without being in game.

It has nothing to do with a shaddow ministry. Shaddow ministry is the backup managerial instrument of a faction that will be activated when the formal government doesn't work. (It certainly is not a mistake of the current ACDG?) This guild that I was promoting has no managerial responsibilities and rights. They are just a bunch of talents whose only property is their knowledge and wisdom. I thought that such concept exists in many games so that people should be familiar with it?

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Well if everybody is in then what is the difference from the public forum we already have?
                    None. I don't want there to be any difference, in-game faction or private forum.

It has nothing to do with a shaddow ministry. Shaddow ministry is the backup managerial instrument of a faction that will be activated when the formal government doesn't work. (It certainly is not a mistake of the current ACDG?)
                    You think so? So if in your opinion some people spam too much in the Data Angel private forum you will once again create a seperate forum for a select few? In that case I do hope all people thinking of joining the Angels know what they're getting into. I get the impression that if people want to have a say in how things are run, the Spartans or Gaians will be the best faction.
                    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Got there before me Maniac.

I hope the Data Angels know of your anti-democratic tendencies

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I think we are capable of deciding our own structures thank you.
                        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Re Ecs for competitions and things. We could have it that each human faction playing, keeps a running tab in a forum like this or each starts of with 500ecs reserve. They could then square up in game as and when their in game resources permit and of course after they've met.

Maybe in due course we could salvage the Unity core for 500ecs each.

So one reason for Kody's proposal was winners receiving in game benefits. Here is a way to do so without having an in game faction generating ecs to distribute.
                          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

You think so? So if in your opinion some people spam too much in the Data Angel private forum you will once again create a seperate forum for a select few? In that case I do hope all people thinking of joining the Angels know what they're getting into.
                            I don't understand how this happened in the Hive. If there really was a majority against the "Shadow Ministry", couldn't they have just voted to recognize a different turnplayer? And if there was a majority in favor of the Ministry, then that makes it elitist, yes, but democratic still. Different from other majoritarian governments in appearance only, not form. So what was the problem?
                            Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

The biggest problem was that it get Jamski angry, and that is one mistake you should never make.

The view was (myself included) such a private forum created an elite group that ran things, secret from everyone else, when in theory we all had the proper oppertunity to contribute to a level that he wished. Sure, in real life, this is the way (unforunately) a lot of 'democracies' get run. But, we come here to get away from real life.

But, that's in the past. I'd rather learn from that mistake and move on.

On the matter at hand: I don't see this little faction as complicating anything. Not even a private forum - I pictured an open public sub-forum (if that can be arranged). As a simple oppertunity for RP and a cute distraction from the game during between-turn lulls, it's a good idea.
                              Join a Democracy Game today!
                              | APO: Civ4 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ4 Warlords Multi-Team - SMAC | CFC: Civ4 DG2 - Civ4 Multi-Team - Civ3 Multi-Team 2 | Civ3 ISDG - Civ4 ISDG |

Comment

Elitism was the last thing on my mind when I came up with the shadow ministry.

I remember being very tired and feeling unwell from all the effort I had sunk into the ACDG. The main thing I remember was that I was feeling sick and I wanted to get away or buffer myself from the ACDG somehow. So antisocial tendencies probably influenced the inital concept.

As for why it went ahead beyond the inital concept... It was a complicated combination of cause and effect, and it was a gamble on my part that the effects would be more positive than negative.

Comment

Working...
                                X