Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next ACDG: Boost weaker factions? - The Poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next ACDG: Boost weaker factions? - The Poll!

Here is a poll elaborating on the discussion started here. I've put a few options to the vote:

1> Don't boost any faction! If you consider a faction too weak, then don't join it, silly!
    2> Give some *slight* advantages to certain weak factions.
    3> Give the weakest factions a better starting position (eg an extra rocky mineral bonus), the exact bonus to be determined by a CMN through playtesting.
    4> Give the weakest factions some changes to their faction characteristics (eg a SE bonus or smaller SE penalty...).
    5> Some combination of a better starting position and edited characteristics! Let's give every faction a fair chance!
    6> Throw bananas at the weaker factions!
    Don't boost any faction!
    36.00%
    Give some a *slight* boost!
    8.00%
    Give some a better starting position
    28.00%
    Change the inherent characteristics (eg SE penalties) of some
    0.00%
    Some combination of better starting position and changing the characteristics
    20.00%
    Throw bananas at them!
    8.00%

The poll is expired.

Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Don't boost any faction The god that made SMAC/X balanced everyone very nicely (possibly except the aliens)

If I had two votes, then I'd vote "Only boost with extra nice starting terrain"

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Voted for a slight boost. But nothing more then an extra ability or so.

eg. military ability for Spartans, fanatic defense for Believers.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I also voted for not boosting any factions. Even a small boost in the early game can turn into a real advantage later on, as the early game is so crucial. In order to avoid overcompensations, all boosts should be carefully playtested. All in all, I just think it would be better not to boost any factions at all. In my ideal world, every human faction would have a very similar starting position.

Comment

I voted no boost also. I agree that if we are talking about human teams, slight boost could become a huge advantage easily. If we are talking about AIs then it may be a different story.
          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by Minute Mirage
            I also voted for not boosting any factions. Even a small boost in the early game can turn into a real advantage later on, as the early game is so crucial.
            Originally posted by HongHu
            I voted no boost also. I agree that if we are talking about human teams, slight boost could become a huge advantage easily.
            Actually the reasons why you vote against boosting can be turned around to justify boosting. If you already agree that a small boost in the early game can turn into a real advantage later, then you must surely agree that the large advantage of about all factions of having +2 Industry & +1 Economy bonus compared to the Spartans and Cult will certainly lead to a *huge* advantage later on. Correct?

Comment

Boost starting position.
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Actually Maniac, if you argue that all factions MUST take Wealth, then that +2 Ind and +1 Econ is up against +4 Morale for the Spartans. That's a bonus of +50% to attack and defense.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Give better starting positions, but other than that...don't mess with the SE and factional bonuses. Those are what make the faction unique and tinkering with them (IMHO) degrades the faction.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                    Actually Maniac, if you argue that all factions MUST take Wealth, then that +2 Ind and +1 Econ is up against +4 Morale for the Spartans. That's a bonus of +50% to attack and defense.
                    +37.5%. But opposed to that, all your units costs +20%. But besides your units, all facilities also cost +20%, which has a cumulative negative effect on economic development. So to give a stereotypical example of to what this leads: 5 Spartan commando missile rovers fighting against 10 UoP disciplined Shard fusion-reactor rovers. Extra morale won't help much there.

Comment

Yes, except the Uni got flattened in turn 2120

-Jam

Comment

Will we be playing on a tiny map, with all factions on the same continent?

Comment

Talking about a challenge...
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Ok Maniac, point taken, you think the Spartans are crap.

I think they're actually quite good and I'm prepared to play anyone with the Spartans to prove so.

-Jam

Comment

You mean you'll play as the Spartans in a next ACDG, or do you mean in some PBEM?

Comment

Working...
                              X