No announcement yet.

Next ACDG: boost weaker factions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me preface this with the disclaimer that I ordinarily agree with the notion that the factions are pretty well balanced in themselves and shouldn't be messed with much if at all. That said, with so many good players involved, people will hesitate to play factions that are perceived to be intrinsically weaker, whether or not it is really a matter of compatible play styles instead of intrinsic weakness. So that is how I would rationalize messing a little with some of the factions.

Something as simple as a slug of extra cash would go a long way in helping the Spartans and Cult with their industry 'problem', although granting a sufficient sum might be difficult for us to swallow. An annual stipend would be nice, but I don't think the game provides for a way to do that. The Cult is already a cash cow of sorts with early fungal forrays, so adding a free MW or two (remember that they won't be able to capture their own) to the Spartan's starting position (and a nearby decent fungus patch), could help them out some. Maybe a free IoD in addition to the MW would do it for the Cult although one fears to be too generous,

I don't know what it would take for Miriam, but a free probeship would definitely make her earlier turns more interesting and give her a chance to stay in the tech race. Does high morale on a probe help assure survival? If so, that would be indicated too, as it wouldn't do for the supposed equalizer to go away with the first mission - maybe a second one if the survivability is low.

The Pirates could use a little help too; a couple of seaformers might be enough to get off to a better start, although the dreaded industry SE boost might be called for.

It could be that momentum factions are disadvantaged by the relatively nicely developed starting positions that we seem to favor, said pleasant environment giving the supposed victims the chance to get on their feet more quickly than would be the case in a more 'Spartan' environment.

Comment

Does high morale on a probe help assure survival?
      Yes, it increases chances of both success and survival.

Comment

Maybe it is time to suss out which factions people might like play. Perhaps everyone post a choice of three so that the eventual starting teams are reasonably balanced in terms of numbers playing.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

I think Gaians and Spartans were mentioned...

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

No one else but me seemed interested in the Spartans though. So scrap those already I presume.
            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I was interested, depending who joined. I'd rather take Gaians though, with the assumption we RP the faction and go get the evil freemarketeers

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

I am the first one who lobbied for Gaians - welcome Jamski - that makes us three of four then.
                SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Although we should make a vote first...

-Jam

Comment

How would we go about to form teams? Does somebody announce that he'll be the team leader then people joins him, or do we form the teams and then choose the leader?
                    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I suppose it's best to let teams choose their leader (if needs be).
                      After all, it's up to a team whom by they want to be leaded (again, if that is needed)
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I nominate myself as first leader of Gaians and their founder. Ofcourse, if Gaians are voted out as faction . Support me!
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Tell us more how you love the planet.
                          Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

He loves it like this:

Get the picture?
                            He who knows others is wise.
                            He who knows himself is enlightened.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Get it. Very much.

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

I was going to be the leader of the Gaians

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                                X