Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally, the "Format of the next ACDG" poll (read carefully)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I propose to let the DG('s) choose it's faction first, and limit the choices to real democratic factions.

The reason is that it is most likely that the SP('s) will be the veterans who now how to momentum. Also, looking in hindsight to the Hive this DG, their vet player had to leave because he dominated the gameplay to much, so the more reason that a vet might not feel comfortable in a DG faction.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
      ..... It took me about 2 hours to finish the turn and in addition to making quite a few mistakes I developped a big headache too. :P Can't imaging doing this for 6 people every four days. I'd be dead real soon.
      I agree that performing orders written by someone else may be very tiring. But routine might help. After maybe 10 turns experience might help in performing that quickly. As a member of CyCon I can propose actions in a turn. After all finally one person is performing that turn taking into account set of recommendations from other faction members. GM would have to do it multiple times, yes, but as i wrote above doing something often helps to do it quicker and better each time.
      Mart
      Map creation contest
      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

I prefer not to play as part of a team factions against SP factions. One of the complaints that seemed to come up was that a given faction was "playing like an SP faction, not a team faction". If this annoyed people during this DG then I can't see how deliberately setting up SP factions is going to keep people happy.

If (and it seems likely) there are SP factions then they should get to choose their faction after the team faction has. Any alternative would seema bit unfair to me.

Finally, I like the SMAX rules and additions, but I am not so wild about the new factions (possibly excepting the Nautilus Pirates since they fill some sort of lack from the SMAC). I'd like to see SMAC factions only, I think.
        Trithemius
        ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
          I propose to let the DG('s) choose it's faction first, and limit the choices to real democratic factions.
          Pretty much any faction could be construed as democratic. The Spartan Coalition of Centauri Dawn comes across as fairly democratic (the council of advisors overrules Santiago). You could even play the Human Hive as a "team" if you assume that the team-members each represent influence blocs that have to agree in order to ensure things are done (are "cartelistic" system, sort of like Germany 1930-1945?); alternatively you could assume that Yang is a figurehead (maybe he is dead, like the leader in Equilibrium or perhaps he never really the leader at all, like in 1984?) and the real power is in the hands of his "advisors" (the team-members).

You just need to look at it in the right way

P.S. In what may seem a total contrast to everything I mentioned here, I am personally in favour of having the UN "Peacekeepers" as the team-faction (although they need a name-tweaking ).
          Trithemius

Comment

Trithemius: I meant the ingame democratic factions, those that aren't forced to choose police state or fundamentalist.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Do we think this poll has run long enough? Shall we go to a "run-off poll" with these choices :
              • 1 human team vs SP factions
              • 3 human teams vs AI factions
              • 4 human teams vs AI factions

And assume that SMAX core rules has won (i.e. no alpha.txt mods or custom factions) and that people are interested in giving the AI a boost.

-Jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Sounds good to me.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I've made the run-off poll here :

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

We better not have Kody or somebody like Kody be one of the SP player then. I played one turn according to Kody's orders. It was an early turn and we only had about 30 crawlers and 30 formers I suppose. It took me about 2 hours to finish the turn and in addition to making quite a few mistakes I developped a big headache too. :P Can't imaging doing this for 6 people every four days. I'd be dead real soon.
                    Sooorrrrry

I think that most people won't be so intent at squeezing every single ec and mineral the way I was back then. So it wouldn't be that bad.

Also, looking in hindsight to the Hive this DG, their vet player had to leave because he dominated the gameplay to much, so the more reason that a vet might not feel comfortable in a DG faction.
                    Hive had a vet player?

Comment

Originally posted by Kody
                      Hive had a vet player?
                      You, I guess?!
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Umm I'm still a bit green.

I didn't really play SMAX or SMAC until after I had joined the Hive. When I joined I had just finished struggling with my 2nd game ever at talent level.

Comment

Trithemius: I meant the ingame democratic factions, those that aren't forced to choose police state or fundamentalist.
                          I did mention the Hive?
                          Trithemius

Comment

No, you blatantly advertised the Pirates...
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

No, you blatantly advertised the Pirates...
                              No I didn't!
                              I specifically mentioned that the Hive could be played by a team! :0

Slanderer! :0
                              Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by Trithemius
                                No I didn't!
                                I specifically mentioned that the Hive could be played by a team! :0

Slanderer! :0
                                Got ya!!
                                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                                X