Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Originally posted by N35t0r View Post

And three intervening tiles, right.
      i'm right about that
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Tomyris is pure cheese.

Easy domination victory on any difficulty level.

Start game.

Research goal: Horseback Riding

Build: Horsemen

Spam until victory.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• also

start a new game as peter of russia

pick deity

set turn limit to 1

build city

victory

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
            Tomyris is pure cheese.

Easy domination victory on any difficulty level.

Start game.

Research goal: Horseback Riding

Build: Horsemen

Spam until victory.
            And don't build city infrastructure, just build horsemen, sell them off, and buy everything.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• I actually like the way trade works, a lot ... you can build safe routes or long, risky ones (and then do you hope to get lucky or expend a combat unit to shepherd it along); you can go for the biggest return right now or build a route halfway to a major city to act as a trading post so the next time you can build the extended route to a bigger payday; it creates roads (which makes so much sense it hurts that nobody though of it before); there are a range of civics that improve your payouts ... I like the strategic options. Trade and linking combat & non-combat units are two of my favorite improvements.

Comment

• It is ICS friendly. Without the happiness penalties, you can build like mad. You do want to allow some space around your bigger cities for growth, but I'm just finishing up a game where I popped a little city into the only gap in a mountain range ... another just to have friendly-unit healing ability near a front line ... and one for a quick port ... one to claim a coal resource ... one to have a footprint on a new continent ... I think I've averaged 20+ cities in my four wins so far.
                I would be surprised if they didn't make some of the civics penalties for not having bigger cities higher just to control it.

Comment

• i am perturbed that I have to uncheck the "show hexes" box every time on startup.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased View Post
                    i am perturbed that I have to uncheck the "show hexes" box every time on startup.
                    Just change the key binding to something that is comfortable for you and use that to disable (better yet, if you have a programmable mouse )
                    Candor dat viribus alas.

Comment

• no, this should be in the settings. it's seriously utter bull**** they couldn't copypasta menu items in a table from game to game.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Originally posted by self biased View Post
                        no, this should be in the settings. it's seriously utter bull**** they couldn't copypasta menu items in a table from game to game.
                        I agree it's BS, I was just trying to give you some alternatives while we wait for a fix (?)... in fact, the lack of obvious key bindings (resources, etc) is unacceptable.
                        Candor dat viribus alas.

Comment

• I agree 100%. Plus the speed of the game. Five minutes on standard towards endgame is too much to wait (yes I have a newer fast machine). Give me back key shortcuts especially a. I had the ai attack and he got five turns free attacks on my units. City attack I dont need to hit the red button twice.

Comment

• Originally posted by mkorin View Post
                            I agree 100%. Plus the speed of the game. Five minutes on standard towards endgame is too much to wait (yes I have a newer fast machine). Give me back key shortcuts especially a. I had the ai attack and he got five turns free attacks on my units. City attack I dont need to hit the red button twice.
                            FIVE minutes per turn??? Something is wrong there. I have a good old I7 4790 with 16 Gb RAM, just old plain SATA drives, and my turns endgame are seconds...

Make sure you play with Quick movement though. Quick this time is really QUICK and not teleport, so it is still nice but much faster... I am pretty sure they repeated the mistake of Civ 5 to make the engine render ALL movements even if outside the visible world, thus making the game much slower without Quick movement enabled.
                            Candor dat viribus alas.

Comment

• This game is bad.

I got Civ 6 it as a birthday gift from Kuciwalker so I feel a little bad trashing it; it was a very nice gift, and one for which I am quite grateful, but now that we have that out of the way:

This game is bad.

I agree with all the previous criticisms but I think there's only two serious problems with it, only one of which is really unfixable. They are basically the same in nature to the two problems Civ V had.

First: The fact that stuff gets more expensive as the game progresses. I have to assume this exists to prevent infinite city spam, which was present in Civ V (which I played maybe 3 games of and proceeded to never touch again, since BTS is a better game). However, there's a much easier way to fix infinite city spam than "make building cities really annoying". Civ VI discourages you from building cities in the late game. What the designers should actually be doing is discouraging you from building cities where it isn't strategic. Note Where, not when. Note the adverb is spatial, not temporal. So the correct way to do this is the way IV did it, quite elegantly, with upkeep costs that increase with distance and number of cities. Infinite city spam problem solved. Why did they backslide on this? Who the hell knows. Stupidity, probably. Luckily this should honestly be easily fixable. I kinda doubt they'll fix it though.

Second, and this is the real unfixable problem:
                              God damn mother ****ing one unit per tile.
                              This is the stupidest mechanic. They wanted to prevent stacks of doom. Fine, whatever. The objection they had to stacks of doom is it didn't feel "realistic"--with stacks of doom, you have your big ass army you move around endlessly, with very little reason to ever split it up to multiple tiles. This is a fair criticism. Combat in IV turns into rock-paper-scissors, which while it was very well balanced, didn't involve much in the way of tactics. So they "solved" this by ****ing over the entire system. The problems with 1UPT are manifest, but here are a few basic ones:

1. Cities are now really hard to defend, since it doesn't really matter what its production capacity is. Once you surround a city, it's toast. If you have archers in back, and melee up front, you have something like 15 units to the enemy's one. Yes, this forces the enemy to try to defend its territory outside of city tiles, but the AI is super bad at this, and it makes all the city's defensive improvements pointless. Essentially, this places the attackers at the advantage rather than the defenders. Attackers don't have any worse logistics than defenders: In Civ IV, the defender could replace losses with nearby production, bringing new units into the mix more quickly. This meant that you had to attack the enemy with an overwhelming advantage if you wanted to win, since they could replace lost units so much more easily. Plus being able to load up the city with troops behind fortifications gave a defensive advantage right off the bat, regardless of logistics. You are at a really hard limit on troops in Civ VI because you aren't really limited by your economy, you're limited by the number of tiles you control, so the moment the attacker gains the advantage there, you're probably screwed.
                              2. Maneuvering is incredibly clunky. I don't think I need to explain this. Just try the interface for a few minutes. Does anyone enjoy trying to play the dumb constraint satisfaction game/sliding tile puzzle of getting your goddamn archers in the right position? I know I don't.
                              3. I really gotta emphasize the logistics point. Your army is not really limited by your production capacity. Unit upkeep costs aren't particularly high, they don't increase much (or even at all? not sure) as the army gets far from your borders, so your real limitation is finding tiles into which you can cram additional units.

I get what they were going for trying to get you to spread your units out a bit. They picked a ****ing stupid way to do it, though. I think a better system would be to more closely simulate the way it *actually works*, where you have to maintain supply lines to your army. I would have something along the lines of, you have to figure out a way to maintain contiguous territory forming your army's supply line, or it slowly loses health. That way, if you have a stack of doom, your opponent can surround you and starve you out. This forces you to spread your troops out to avoid being flanked or besieged. I don't know if that'd be better. I do know that stacks of doom are better than this 1upt business.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Does anyone enjoy trying to play the dumb constraint satisfaction game/sliding tile puzzle of getting your goddamn archers in the right position? I know I don't.
                                Yes, the sliding tile puzzle aspect is what I hated in V and as long as that's an issue, I don't anticipate wasting money on a newer version of V.
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X