No announcement yet.

VentureBeat: Hands on with Civilization VI This is a Very Different Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My gripe is that in civ games the cities' borders determine the country border and with the current setup the political maps in civ 5/6 end up not being continuous through most of the game.
    Maybe this can be fixed by making the city border grow as in civ4 rather than as in civ 5 (grow a whole ring instead of single tiles).

Another thing that probably contributes to the disconnectedness is the lack of distance to palace penalties for city placement. (at least AFAIC there are no such penalties in civ5)
    Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
      My gripe is that in civ games the cities' borders determine the country border and with the current setup the political maps in civ 5/6 end up not being continuous through most of the game.
      Maybe this can be fixed by making the city border grow as in civ4 rather than as in civ 5 (grow a whole ring instead of single tiles).

Another thing that probably contributes to the disconnectedness is the lack of distance to palace penalties for city placement. (at least AFAIC there are no such penalties in civ5)
      A long time ago (maybe for the Civ4 List), I suggested forts as tile improvements that would extend your border. So you could artificially expand and connect your civilization, but only by sending workers out into the wilderness to effect that expansion and without the benefits of a city's defensive bonuses to maintain that border.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

that was in fact implemented by some civ IV mods IIRC.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I'd like to see major rivers. Rivers that dramatically limit/hinder movement. Rivers that can be used by some types of ships/barges.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think most of us could design a fairly simple algorithm on city building/improvements order, when to build settlers to expand, garrison strengths, and research order that would create very successful Civs in the absence of others/wars. I think we could easily put in a few exceptions to that algorithm to deal with terrain/resources (where to focus expansion/how to choose city sites) and encountering neighbors (expand in the other direction).

War is the really tough one. I would probably build up a point scoring system for building units (with the goal to maximize the score), then go for a full frontal attack whenever the AI army score reaches some multiplier for his estimate of the enemy army score (maybe 2X). I would develop several scripts for navigating/crossing various terrain barriers (oceans, mountains, etc.).
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
              I'd like to see major rivers. Rivers that dramatically limit/hinder movement. Rivers that can be used by some types of ships/barges.
              That would be great, i agree. however, even the largest rivers are not much more than a few kilometres wide, so you'd need a big increase in scale to have them as separate tiles. i suppose having them as terrain features could work, but i'm not sure how ship movement could be integrated into that.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                War is the really tough one. I would probably build up a point scoring system for building units (with the goal to maximize the score), then go for a full frontal attack whenever the AI army score reaches some multiplier for his estimate of the enemy army score (maybe 2X). I would develop several scripts for navigating/crossing various terrain barriers (oceans, mountains, etc.).
                Definitely war is the tough one. Pathfinding is hard when movement modifiers (roads) can be created/destroyed, units are created at various points at various times, enemy units can be hidden, terrain can be hidden, and objectives can change completely very quickly.

1UPT compounds that difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                  Now that would be cool.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                    That would be great, i agree. however, even the largest rivers are not much more than a few kilometres wide, so you'd need a big increase in scale to have them as separate tiles. i suppose having them as terrain features could work, but i'm not sure how ship movement could be integrated into that.
                    Yeah... not sure how they would handle it on the map. Maybe make them a dark blue or some other way to note them without being the entire hex.
                    As far as ships, you could limit them to types, like barges, riverboats, patrol boats... a specific class of ships that is meant only for rivers or harbors.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It would be fun to see a river unit that could help defend in a river crossing situation. One that would make the river a better defensive position.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X