Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bold Prediction for the Civilization Series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Bold Prediction for the Civilization Series...

Hey all,

I bought Civ V: Gods and Kings the other day, and the moment the intro played I was struck by an idea that seemed almost too obvious.

The basic game has an intro which centers around a leader of a hunter / gatherer group forming a city and his predictions of the future which he tells to his son who is taking over in his place.

Gods and Kings intro shares a similar tone and voice over, and even starts off with similar "my son" lines. What this tells me is that this is a continuation of the story started in the original Civ 5.

Gods and Kings focuses almost exclusively on civilizations and game mechanics which were influential in the middle ages. Religion, Espionage, and even scenarios relevant to the era such as the "Fall of Rome", "Into the Renaissance", etc.

If these two share a common story, and Gods and Kings is a continuation of that story focused on the middle ages, then it follows that a 3rd "chapter" in the saga would focus on either recent past (Industrial Era) *OR* the future, ala Alpha Centuari!

Games are frequently made into trillogies, and Civ II, Civ III, and Civ IV all had precicely 2 expansions.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Am I simply full of bananas?

This reminds me of a recent forum post in Steam (after the release of G&K),
    where someone examined the game files and found code snippets for units which were used in the american civil war
    (and which aren´t in the game (yet))
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
      This reminds me of a recent forum post in Steam (after the release of G&K),
      where someone examined the game files and found code snippets for units which were used in the american civil war
      (and which aren´t in the game (yet))

It would make more sense for the 3rd to be one of the recent past instead of future, as Alpha Centauri also had an expansion of it's own. :P

I could definitely see Civil War and Industrial Era being the 3rd expansion. This would likely include the primary Civ IV game mechanic which is still absent, Corporations.

I could even see Civil War being a possible outcome of certain situations, as it was when AI Capitols were captured in previous games.

Guerrillas would also likely make a comeback, and with the Industrial Era I could see a lot more involvement with alliances in war.

Dan O.

Comment

Of course the steam punk scenario would be more fitting for this chapter 3. Overall not a bad guess though.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Prediction: The series gets dumbed down even more. Civ6 will be optimized for touchscreen devices. You don't actually build anything, found cities, or research anything anymore. You press the screen, the game responds with "Hooray! YOU WINNAR DURRR DURRRR DURRRRR".

IGN gives Civ6 a perfect 10 out of 10.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
            Prediction: The series gets dumbed down even more. Civ6 will be optimized for touchscreen devices. You don't actually build anything, found cities, or research anything anymore. You press the screen, the game responds with "Hooray! YOU WINNAR DURRR DURRRR DURRRRR".

IGN gives Civ6 a perfect 10 out of 10.
            QFT
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
              QFT
              I saw that acronym several times today. But what does it mean? I guess it isn't something positive

Comment

Originally posted by Lambiorix_be View Post
                I saw that acronym several times today. But what does it mean? I guess it isn't something positive
                QFT = Quoted For Truth
                The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Stupid question, but why do you guys go into the Forum for Civilization V if you simply hate it that much?

Do you enjoy being a troll?

Are you like that Apple fanboi who just has to troll the MS boards and poke fun at Windows?

Or are you simply pissed off and just can't help but make sure others feel the same?

I don't know about you all, but where I come from, we have a saying that goes along the lines of if you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

Dan O.

Comment

If I am to guess what will happen, then
                    1) They will add corporation or their equivalent to have different feeling in late stage of the game. They will tie them somehow to CS.
                    2) They will probably improve espionage
                    3) They will introduce some new factor (like stability or faith or influence or whatever) to impact through the game, but mostly in the latest stages. It may even be related to the corporation
                    5) They will tune combat a bit more, and AI. Hopefully they will make units stack-able for storage between the wars.
                    6) This will be the last expansion before Civ 6, and it will be released in about 1 to 1.5 years from now.
                    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Melboz99 View Post
                      Stupid question, but why do you guys go into the Forum for Civilization V if you simply hate it that much?

Or are you simply pissed off and just can't help but make sure others feel the same?
                      I'm going to go with that one. The general feeling I get from veteran players is that this POS is unworthy to be called Civ. Personally, I vented my bile when the game first came out and then went away, but then G&K came out and I was curious to see if the new features sounded less daft (no). Now I have new bile to vent over exciting new crap gimmicks like the religion system, where living next to some trees can make you more religious and stockpile "faith," which is now a collectible commodity like iron ore. Because, you know, that makes sense. Stop encouraging this rubbish by buying it.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        I'm going to go with that one. The general feeling I get from veteran players is that this POS is unworthy to be called Civ. Personally, I vented my bile when the game first came out and then went away, but then G&K came out and I was curious to see if the new features sounded less daft (no). Now I have new bile to vent over exciting new crap gimmicks like the religion system, where living next to some trees can make you more religious and stockpile "faith," which is now a collectible commodity like iron ore. Because, you know, that makes sense. Stop encouraging this rubbish by buying it.
                        Just curious, did you play G&K?
                        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Nope. Nor Civ5. Please don't bother with the why-don't-you-try-it speech. If it's panned by 90%+ of veteran players, that's good enough for me. If it's not good enough for you, do you like green eggs and broken glass? Try it, try it, and you may. Try it and you may, I say.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Nobody gives a rat's arse if you try it or not Elok. Don't worry.

By all means keep trolling these boards and scare people away from poly if it makes you feel better.

Comment

Sure thing.
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X