Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Bold Prediction for the Civilization Series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Elok View Post
    Nope. Nor Civ5. Please don't bother with the why-don't-you-try-it speech. If it's panned by 90%+ of veteran players, that's good enough for me. If it's not good enough for you, do you like green eggs and broken glass? Try it, try it, and you may. Try it and you may, I say.
    No, I am not saying that you should try it, but you do not have a valid point if you did not play. It is not your opinion, it is a hearsay. On top of this 90% number is completely made up. Lots of people including "veterans" like G&K.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

In one of my G&K games, the AI just marched a single solitary knight right up to my city, which was at 90% health and surrounded by 3 of my legions. The knight pointlessly attacked the city, bringing my city down to 80% health and losing most of its own HPs. So I killed the knight with no fuss. The next turn, another retarded knight took its place. Rinse and repeat.

You are right, maybe 90% of veterans and competent civ players don't think this game is a turd. It might be closer to 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Melboz99 View Post
        Stupid question, but why do you guys go into the Forum for Civilization V if you simply hate it that much?

Do you enjoy being a troll?

Are you like that Apple fanboi who just has to troll the MS boards and poke fun at Windows?

Or are you simply pissed off and just can't help but make sure others feel the same?

I don't know about you all, but where I come from, we have a saying that goes along the lines of if you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

Dan O.
        Schadenfreude in my case.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Melboz99 View Post
          Stupid question, but why do you guys go into the Forum for Civilization V if you simply hate it that much?
          to provide feedback (if devs happen to be reading), to discuss things with other users, and to evaluate my ever-evolving opinion
          Do you enjoy being a troll?
          Yes.
          Are you like that Apple fanboi who just has to troll the MS boards and poke fun at Windows?
          No. More like the Windows fanboy who posts on MS boards in hopes that the next Windows is improved.
          Or are you simply pissed off and just can't help but make sure others feel the same?
          There is a general level of anger I feel. You give me too much credit by implying I can control how other people feel.
          I don't know about you all, but where I come from, we have a saying that goes along the lines of if you don't have anything helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

Dan O.
          Pointing out faults and shortcomings is probably the most helpful thing loyal customers can do. It's much worse if long time fans of a series stop complaining and give up altogether on Civ by disengaging in the process.

And since you broached the topic on what is helpful... cheerleading idiots are probably the most unhelpful people.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
            No, I am not saying that you should try it, but you do not have a valid point if you did not play. It is not your opinion, it is a hearsay.
            I have equally invalid opinions about North Korea, herpes, crystal meth, phrenology, and base jumping. Do I have to try those too?
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              Nope. Nor Civ5. Please don't bother with the why-don't-you-try-it speech. If it's panned by 90%+ of veteran players, that's good enough for me. If it's not good enough for you, do you like green eggs and broken glass? Try it, try it, and you may. Try it and you may, I say.
              Hmm and how did you calculate that number of 90%+? Or is this also hearsay....

I am not gonna propose that you try the game and respect your choice but here is a very good example of how an assumption/idea is taken as a fact...

Comment

If you want me to elaborate, the substantial majority of longtime Civvers on this forum--the ones whose opinions I have cause to respect--who have played this game, have reported it to be quite underwhelming. I think Guy said it was actually fun, just not as good as Civ4. And I guess Ozzy's giving it a fair shake. Other than that, this section of Poly is populated by you and less than a half-dozen other people, some of whom give me the distinct impression of not actually knowing what makes a Civ game tick. The rest of traffic is just "trolls" like me. For a game that's less than two years old and just got its first expansion, that's kind of bad. Kind of really bad. As is the fact that only two people could be bothered to play the expansion and write a review for a chance to win money--and one of them trashed it. Not to mention "Last post in Civ V Multiplayer: June 19."

And it's not just our fault for being terrible trolls or whatever; Civ4 got its share of grief when it came out, it kept chugging and lots of people still play it (probably because its flaws on release were the result of poor execution and lack of polish rather than intrinsic flaws like the absurd 1UPT). Its forum is slightly less lively than here, but hey, it's five or six years old. And half of the traffic this place gets is "hey, it's not an absolutely terrible game" threads.

The mods have been just about killing themselves trying to promote this thing. As have the game designers. Also sale sites like downloadgamehere.com or whatever they're called. So what happened?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

bold prediction is that civ 6 will continue the trend of making games more pleasurable to a different set of people than the original civers. same thing happens with reboot of tv series like battle start galactica or movies as in Star Trek.

they dont always suit the orignal fans, some do still like them, but they tend to be so different deliberatly to try and capture new audience.
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Howdy Raz!

You and Deity and the other Ozzies play Civ V? It has been years since playing Civ II MP with you guys.

I for one, enjoy Civ V G& Kings for many reasons, tho I miss the great fun of Civ II MP.

So how many veteran players are there in this poll to establish some ACTUALL statistical % numbers?
                      So far they are not substanciated by more than whoevers circle of a-quaint-ance

Lets have a poll then!!

Much may fall tween cup and lips ~ unknown
                      The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Ive been away from Poly for so long and havent seen Deity posting so not sure he still here on here, maybe he changed names,

Sorry to not see him on the forums as he was definatly my fav person as he was very educational in his advice on how to micromanage in civ2 despite my total lack of inclination to spend anytime actually doing any mircromanagement in the game.
                        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

You are right and i am totally agree with you.T hanx for sharing this nice post.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                            bold prediction is that civ 6 will continue the trend of making games more pleasurable to a different set of people than the original civers. same thing happens with reboot of tv series like battle start galactica or movies as in Star Trek.

they dont always suit the orignal fans, some do still like them, but they tend to be so different deliberatly to try and capture new audience.
                            Sometimes they get it better when they do a reboot, like they did with BSG. Sometimes they get it worse, like they did with ST.

CivV is okay. G&K is okay. I like the new civs, and I like having espionage back. I like the better interaction with city states. Religion is kind of meh, and late in the game, kinda gets in the way. I think what they did with great leaders is better (though I was a bit surprised when a great general yomped a bunch of land from my neighbors when all I was intending was a citadel to fend off the Japanese.

I really think the designers could learn more from AC (unit design) and CtP (armies and needing different arms types).
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I haven't posted here in a while, so here's my 2 bits:

I loved Civ4. Played it to death, single and multiplayer.

I played Civ5 for a few days, and haven't touched it since the week it was released. Judging by other veteran players comments, I have no reason to go back.

Why: What Wiglaf said. 1upt kills combat, because without stacks of death, the AI can't compete. The game just got too easy, and I'm bored by it.

More power to the trolls!
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Not all veterans agree on Civ V.

I am in favor of it and looking forward to the Brave New World expansion, especially the Civil War scenario.

All the versions of Civ have been for me, enjoyable in their own right. Civ II was great at the time!
                                The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Working...
                                X