Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrogant is as arrogant does

I agree that we dissagree.

Permit please, a speculative thought that anyone<---(unrealistic generalization sorry), many not on your bandwagon or KYA are either:
    a)arrogant
    b)an idiot
    c)little
    d) a neonazi
    e)jerk
    f)fake

Is there any place in your conciousness for the concept of differant?

Your spanish quote refers to "projection", a thing you might look into.
    Last edited by Crustacian; November 1, 2012, 01:48. Reason: redundant word
    The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

wait a minute... heh heh, speaking of being here at all, arent you the guy with 5....count em 5 posts?

I guess thats really neither here nor there, but I thought it funny/curious in view of your "strong" position against civ v.

Whats your judgement or preferably oppinion, as I would hate to get arrogant again with you; on Civ, Civ II, Civ III, and the old offshoot I think by activision? I played it a lot, just can't call the name to mind. I hope you don't call me a fake and make me look it up or dig out my old copy.

Seriously though, have you an OPPINION about any of these versions of Civ that can be expressed without GF, flaming Sid Meyers? Or John Possidente, or Bill Denman? My memory is not calling any more to mind....yet.

Maybe it is the whole Activision thing this is all about. Hmmm naw.

So why are you advocating this level of effort by telling folks to:

Quoting you now here: "What everyone in complete disagreement with Shafer's "work" should do, I think, is express that disagreement everywhere, anytime... even withholding anything created by him in the future... (poor Brad Wardell, he has no idea what type of fake jewelry he acquired in the black market)."

Admitedly I am speculating over my head on this one, but it is fare to at least ask you why you advocate this? I mean you talk about a Nazi and all, now you got even me curios..."Strike down all who appose!!!!" OMG The propaganda is affecting me! JK

Comment

I don't think there's any arguing that the AI is weak. With 1 unit per tile it matters a lot more which units you put where and how you manoeuvre. Giving the AI significant advantages on the higher difficulty levels doesn't alter the fact that it needs those advantages because it's so unbelievably stupid. You only need to agree open borders and send in an observer to watch two AI nations fighting to see that.

Its total level of intelligence seems to be to automatically know each nation's overall military strength, make war/peace decisions based on their relative strength and aggression setting and then amass an army it thinks can seize a city before declaring war and sending them in. If that first wave is defeated it is incapable of much more than dribbling units toward the front.

On the positive side I do like the hex maps, the improvement in graphics, the removal of the tedious pollution process, city defence, the elimination of rail/road spam and other features. I quite happily play it on middling difficulty settings as a relaxing game. I just wouldn't choose it over Civ IV if I wanted a challenge because of its core flaws.

Nor do I enjoy what appears to be the optimal single player game play approach (I'm no Civ genius so feel free to contradict me here) of scouting the map as fast as possible, settling cities only where there are multiple luxuries in range then magically selling those luxuries to the anyone anywhere in the world who has the cash in order to accumulate the wealth to then set up research agreements or buy the loyalty of key city states (which give you more luxuries to sell.) It just seems that the whole game is driven by wealth and it's far too simple to swap luxuries for wealth with civilizations that you have no road or sea connection to, long before the historical eras when international and intercontinental trade became significant.
        Last edited by Grumbold; November 2, 2012, 08:32. Reason: extra paragraph
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Civ ai

Originally posted by Grumbold View Post
          I don't think there's any arguing that the AI is weak. With 1 unit per tile it matters a lot more which units you put where and how you manoeuvre. Giving the AI significant advantages on the higher difficulty levels doesn't alter the fact that it needs those advantages because it's so unbelievably stupid. You only need to agree open borders and send in an observer to watch two AI nations fighting to see that.
          I must agree with your observations Grumbold, and with regards the ai, I too consider them weak, Civ V not excepted. Working around this by upping dificulty level, limiting to one-three cities, and a small elite task force to accomplish military objectives offers me some greater level of challenge in the absence of a multyplayer oppertunity.

Playing Civ IV has brought me much enjoyment, yet I prefer CiV III to Civ IV, and I miss the medeivel scenario with soundtrack.

Civ V with the hex grid and one unit per hex, ranged units along with some other features to me brings Civ further along the path toward the ultimate game.

Real discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes ~ Marcel Proust

Comment

Working...
          X