how to fix combat in Civ 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to fix combat in Civ 5

I generally very much like the idea of one unit one tile. My main complaint in Civ 3 and Civ 4 was when you had like a 20 unit stack and if you didn't have the animation turned off, you would be treated to like 5 minutes of attack and a turn could take a half hour.

But in the late game the game still slows to a crawl due to the number of units.

I think the only way is to have a hard cap on the number of "armies" that a nation can field, and/or more tactical setup involving setup times before attacking. 3

Also, to make generals more interesting, they should take up a unit space, and only give bonus to a tile that touches them. That would force you to be much more protective of generals.

A hard cap on the number of units per civ would bias the game against large civs. A small civ with just a few cities and a short border could more easily defend against invasions then a civ with larger borders and many different neighbors. It would be more difficult to win by domination since your army would eventually get too thin to defend or continue attacking. (which is the victory condition that I use most frequently) To limit them by number of cities might have the opposite effect.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes, something like in Civ 2 where each unit had a "home base". Make it so that each city can produce one unit.

Also, I would do something about the damage system. Even if you tech up to a super unit, say a rifleman against pikemen, he can still be brought down by range attacks b/c of min. 1 damage per attack.

Comment

Another idea IMO would be something like super entrenched attacks. Like, make it so that a trebuchet gets more powerful the longer it besieges a city. Make it take like 3 turns to get to full strength attack.

Comment

How is a speed issue anything to do with fixing combat?

1UPT is a nice concept but doesn't work well as it stands, instead it should be a 1 ARMY per turn model, with an army being made up of between 1 and 5 units (+ an additional general). In effect you would have a 5 unit stack but they would all fight at the same time with damage dished out/taken based off a combination of their attributes individually and as a group. A little like how Generals worked in a previous version (think it was 3).

This would remove some of the unit clutter and add extra depth.

Comment

Originally posted by hackerjack View Post

1UPT is a nice concept but doesn't work well as it stands, instead it should be a 1 ARMY per turn model, with an army being made up of between 1 and 5 units (+ an additional general). In effect you would have a 5 unit stack but they would all fight at the same time with damage dished out/taken based off a combination of their attributes individually and as a group. A little like how Generals worked in a previous version (think it was 3).

Which definitely would make sense
            (and would enable us to have archers contribute with their ranged attacks in group combat [due to giving the army special boni for mixed arms/ranged attacks], without having them to be able to shoot their arrows over thousands of kilometres (which is what we have now, with 1 UPT and archers being able to shoot over a range of 2 strategic map tiles)
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by hackerjack View Post

The Range attack distance issue is something different again really. A friend of mine suggested something that made sense but would require a major reworking of City mechanics. He simply said more tiles.

Each tile now would be split into 7, City populations would work tiles in groups of 7, units movement rate would be greatly increased to compensate. But the city unit itself and combat units/armies would only occupy 1 tile and range attacks would be left as they are. Range units would still have the ability to attack without pressing up against a city but not to go over large distances.

Comment

Working...
              X