I am done dealing with you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am done dealing with you

What does exactly this option do in diplomatic conversation?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

Err, beats me. I guess it means not to expect any renewal of the treaties and that your former partner will attack you soon.

Comment

It sounds a lot like "We consider this dicussion complete."

But, given that I don't have the game yet, I can't promise you that it's the same thing, and if it was, I think you would probably not be asking the question.
      I don't know what I've been told!
      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
      Love to press the Buster Switch!
      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
        It sounds a lot like "We consider this dicussion complete."
        No, there is a separate button for that.
        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

I'd say it's a response with attitude. Since how sincerely or deceptively you handle your diplomacy is also communicated to other civs, it WILL have an effect on how THEY deal with YOU.

Beyond that, I don't know what it means either ...
          yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
            I'd say it's a response with attitude. Since how sincerely or deceptively you handle your diplomacy is also communicated to other civs, it WILL have an effect on how THEY deal with YOU.

Beyond that, I don't know what it means either ...
            yet.
            I am just trying to understand if it cancels the effect of the cooperation pact or "conspiracy against" pact. It is possible that they will stop asking for going to war together against somebody else, or at least less likely...
            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
              What does exactly this option do in diplomatic conversation?
              I don't have the game in front of me to confirm, but that sounds like the 'end cooperation pact' option. It should be more clearly marked, but as far as I know, it has no other effect.

Comment

Someone should test this. I had the impression that actual resource/gold trades could NOT be terminated early, even by DOW; though resource/gold-per-turn trades could via DOW.

QuickSave, test and determine results, QuickLoad.
                Who's going to be the 1st to get around to it?

Comment

I think that ends your pact of cooperation, but at least it responds with an offended attitude, which means if you later declare war, it won't be considered without provocation. None of this is documented yet, but it is definitely how it seems to work.
                  Jacob's Law "To err is human: to blame it on someone else is even more human."

Comment

With diplomacy being almost totally invisible, one can only guess. But, just from playing, if you respond with "attitude", relations get worse faster. If you claim something is "ok" and then attack later, you take a hit with the other civs. If you say your units are just passing through, and then attack, you take a hit. But it is really difficult to know exactly where you stand with anybody.

Rah's comments (I'm not sure if he posted it, or just told me) on diplomacy really helps. Granted, if the screen shows an AI as Hostile to you, that's a good clue... but otherwise, just use the amount of money they will give you for resourses as a clue. If they give you the max, you're cool with them. The less they will give you, the more they hate you

I've found that by spreading my trades and research agreements around to ALL the AI civs early and often, you can keep them all happy with you. If somebody is hostile, start giving them a few cut rate deals, and eventually, they become ok with you.

I know a lot of people complained in Civ IV that people were pleased with them would attack at the drop of a hat, so I guess that they got sick of hearing about it, and simply made diplomacy invisible now... so people can't whine about it. I've actually found it easier to maintain good relations and not get attacked in Civ V than I did in Civ IV. If you had Monty pinned in behind you, it didn't matter if he was pleased with you. It wan't a matter if he was going to attack, more a matter of when. But in Civ V, by spreading those trades and research agreements around, you can avoid combat if that's what you wish.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Diplomacy concept is better now, however the execution of the concept is not that good, especially the screens and interface. I do not mind having no access to pluses and minuses, it reflects the 'real' diplomacy much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                        With diplomacy being almost totally invisible, one can only guess. But, just from playing, if you respond with "attitude", relations get worse faster. If you claim something is "ok" and then attack later, you take a hit with the other civs. If you say your units are just passing through, and then attack, you take a hit. But it is really difficult to know exactly where you stand with anybody.

Rah's comments (I'm not sure if he posted it, or just told me) on diplomacy really helps. Granted, if the screen shows an AI as Hostile to you, that's a good clue... but otherwise, just use the amount of money they will give you for resourses as a clue. If they give you the max, you're cool with them. The less they will give you, the more they hate you

I've found that by spreading my trades and research agreements around to ALL the AI civs early and often, you can keep them all happy with you. If somebody is hostile, start giving them a few cut rate deals, and eventually, they become ok with you.

I know a lot of people complained in Civ IV that people were pleased with them would attack at the drop of a hat, so I guess that they got sick of hearing about it, and simply made diplomacy invisible now... so people can't whine about it. I've actually found it easier to maintain good relations and not get attacked in Civ V than I did in Civ IV. If you had Monty pinned in behind you, it didn't matter if he was pleased with you. It wan't a matter if he was going to attack, more a matter of when. But in Civ V, by spreading those trades and research agreements around, you can avoid combat if that's what you wish.
                        Quoted for truth, although a caveat is that the AI can decide very long beforehand that it's going to attack you (you having a touching border is a big no-no to the ai). Trying to stop him by offering all kinds of deals won't help any more (if you see the troops at your borders it's too late
                        As for the touching border thing, the moment you have that even with an AI on the other side of the world, that you've treasured and pampered for centuries, the moment I had one city border near her (yes one I conquered back for her) she changed her entire tone, cancelled all agreements and became a righteous *****. You can actually put a clock to it. Have a touching border and all those pacts go out the window. No exceptions in my experience.
                        --< If Brute force isn't working, you're not using enough! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Byte View Post
                          (you having a touching border is a big no-no to the ai). Trying to stop him by offering all kinds of deals won't help any more (if you see the troops at your borders it's too late
                          As for the touching border thing, the moment you have that even with an AI on the other side of the world, that you've treasured and pampered for centuries, the moment I had one city border near her (yes one I conquered back for her) she changed her entire tone, cancelled all agreements and became a righteous *****. You can actually put a clock to it. Have a touching border and all those pacts go out the window. No exceptions in my experience.
                          What difficulty level you are playing?
                          On prince, I have noticed that if your city has 6 hexes before any other city of AI, then you are fine. Like it is shown in diagram below:
                          XOOO|OOOX
                          Here, X is city, O is hex without city and | is the place where the borders will touch. But, there is no reason to be upset for you or AI in this configuration, because you can not work the hexes after | anyway.

If you follow this rule, then AI will not be pissed even when the borders touched. That's my observation on prince level.
                          -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                          X