No announcement yet.

Learn the Game: Changes from Civ4 to Civ5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the post Possibility! This was for me a helpfull lesson! I didn't realise that the system works withoud a slider while my first game is in progress. I was looking for it LOL. If I think about it, I think that you can still specialize your city's does it? Or do you find balance in every city because of the need for farms everywhere? If you want to create a gold city, how many farms to you need? Perhaps create in turn TP and a farm, en keep on do that. I have no idea. I used to specialize my city's in civ4.
    Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

If you want a gold city then choose a place with lots of luxury resources (especially gold and silver for mint) and build more trade posts than farms. Bear in mind that you'll still want growth to use plenty of tiles so you may want a farm or two but you can help growth with granarys and lighthouses etc so don't spam farms in your gold city!

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix View Post
        When I researched railroad they started building them on different tiles than my roads. I immediately stopped this and built the railroads over my roads. My thinking was that I'd have to pay twice if they were on different tiles.
        That is a good question. I am pretty sure that you only have to pay once, as in you now pay 2/tile instead of 1/tile. I do know that trade routes stay valid with the rails, although I haven't done any specific study to make sure there's no penalty. I'm about to enter the industrial age in my current game so I will keep an eye on the numbers and see what happens.
        What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Originally posted by pdxsean View Post
          That is a good question. I am pretty sure that you only have to pay once, as in you now pay 2/tile instead of 1/tile. I do know that trade routes stay valid with the rails, although I haven't done any specific study to make sure there's no penalty. I'm about to enter the industrial age in my current game so I will keep an eye on the numbers and see what happens.
          I'm sure you only have to pay once if you build a railroad over a road (ie 2 gpt for the railroad), my concern was that this might negate the trade route benefit (I don't think it would as this would be a bad mechanic). But why would the automated workers build the railroad on different tiles meaning that you do end up paying twice? Bad programming or me misunderstanding the rules?

When you test it bear in mind that even if there's no road link they may have a sea link.

Comment

From what I've heard: the automation is simply badly constructed.
            Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
            Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
            New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Possibility View Post
              Farms = more science.
              I think that farms is simply how fast you get to you max science output, but the output itself is related to luxury resources, because once your happiness becomes negative, your growth is reduced by factor of 2, which is stronger effect than any farm. Plus, if you build, for example, trading posts, then you may have extra money to spend on the maintenance of the buildings that promote city growth (granary, etc), so it is not clear cut what to build on the tile, and it depend on the tile itself. I think at the end:
              Luxury resources = more science.
              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
              certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM;5866897I think at the end:
                [B
                Luxury resources = more science.[/B]
                Amen to that!
                What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Yup, i agree to that. In my first game though I was always happy, never unhappy. Buildings can also make happiness if you don't have any luxury resources.

I think you can specialize cities fairly well in this game, if you have a city with lots of food resources, spam more farms in that city and grow it to a large size and focus on librarys and other buildings that increase its science.

On the other hand, if you have a city with lots of luxury resources, then spam trading posts in that city and concentrate on buildings that increase money like the market. Of course getting the city to large population is also good in order to work as many tiles as possible.

Comment

Considered adding this in the wiki?
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                    X