Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which scenarios are you most looking forward too in Civ 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mods usually modify units and/or techs and often also modify graphics as well so that the game looks and feels different. Scenarios use the standard settings but are set up to mimic a certain set of events (like the Crusades or WW1 or something) and so will have the right countries in the right places with the right units.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Under that definition, seems to me that almost all scenarios qualify as Mods, because they modify units, the tech tree, and/or graphics. I'm thinking back in Civ4, and every single one I can think of did that.

Comment

Most scenarios are mods, but not all mods are scenarios. There's a fair amount of overlap.

And Oerdin didn't misspell the title, he just used the wrong word. Its a fairly common error, so its not like the thread title represents illiteracy at it's worst or something...
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Most scenarios are mods, but not all mods are scenarios. There's a fair amount of overlap.

The most important point though is that scenarios are (I havent seen one that isnt) little wargames. Since the combat in CIV sucks big time (IMO) there is no point in playing them.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'd like a good WWIII scenario too. Say around the late 70's.
            I don't know what I've been told!
            Deirdre's got a Network Node!
            Love to press the Buster Switch!
            Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Do we even know there will be scenarios coming with the game?
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post

And Oerdin didn't misspell the title, he just used the wrong word. Its a fairly common error, so its not like the thread title represents illiteracy at it's worst or something...
                I didn't accuse him of that nor did anyone else that I saw.

Anyway I was just asking. Somewhat rhetorical questions to point out that there's really little difference between a "mod" and a "scenario", and that there's a lot of overlap.

Spencer's point about miniwargames is a better one, I think. Though it's valid that mods suffer from that as much as scenarios.

Some scenarios, such as the historical earth ones, don't add new stuff and aren't miniwargames, to my mind. So there's an example of a scenario that isn't a miniwargame. All they do is put civs in the historical spot and challenge the player to do well. The player could do it peacefully or through war, his/her option.

Anyway, what I like most about mods is having a different setting with cool new stuff (units, buildings, etc.) Such as RifE (FFH).

Comment

The only scenario I like is the World Map with correct Civ positions... other than that I stay away from scenarios
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
                    The only scenario I like is the World Map with correct Civ positions... other than that I stay away from scenarios
                    Okay, what is the correct Civ position for Americans in 4000bc? Or the Turks?
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

For Civ purposes, the Americans would start in Washington DC, and the Turks would start in Istanbul...
                      I don't know what I've been told!
                      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                      Love to press the Buster Switch!
                      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
                      X