Who is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is this?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I've been looking everywhere, but haven't been able to get it confirmed. Is this Askia of the Songhai?
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

It's no one. Just a random character froma trailer video.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

People from the old Songhai region were black.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

He is kinda black......
        But I bet there's not just someone in a trailer video.....

Comment

Songhai? Really, Cybershy?

This is a modern depiction of Askia:

So the Songhai are in Civ5?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

So if this is the confirmed list of civs/leaders:

America /George Washington / Manifest Destiny
            Arabia / Harun al-Rashid / Trade Caravans
            Aztec / Montezuma / Sacrificial Captives
            China / Wu Zetian / Art of War
            Egypt / Ramesses II / Monument Builders
            England / Elizabeth I / Sun Never Sets
            France / Napoleon Bonaparte / Ancien Regime
            Germany / Otto Von Bismark / Furor Teutonicus
            Greece / Alexander / Hellenic League
            India / Gandhi / Population Growth
            Iroquois / Hiawatha / The Great Warpath
            Japan / Oda Nobunaga / Bushido
            Ottoman / Suleiman / Barbary Corsairs
            Persia / Darius / Archaemenid Legacy
            Rome / Augustus Caesar / The Glory of Rome
            Russia / Catherina / Siberian Riches
            Siam / Ramkhamhaeng / Father Governs Children
            Songhai / Askia / River Warlord
            Then no, that guy is nobody. He's definitely not one of the civ leaders if that's what you think since looking at that list, it's pretty obvious he's not.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not doubting it for no reason
              Ok, thanks.

Comment

Maybe he's an advisor? Have those been shown yet?

Comment

Wu Zetian as the boss of China? How funny!

Comment

My guess is he's just supposed to be some tribal elder in the opening video or something.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That guy isn't even remotely black.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                        That guy isn't even remotely black.
                        And I thought there were a lot of African Blacks in The Netherlands. Clearly, Cybershy has never seen one before.

I hate to denigrate someone, especially Cybershy, but that was pretty dumb, man

To be fair, some of the people in the region of the Songhai empire are Berbers and Moors who are Caucasian and Taureg who are kind of in between and there has long been a lot of contact between West Africa and the Arab world but the developers aren't going to make Askia anything but Black considering he's the only Black character in the game.

(it is very weird to not have Shaka in a Civ game)

Oh and if you go on the Civ 5 website, you can see a concept art image of Askia. He's going to be one scary looking dude.
                        Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 2, 2010, 17:55.

Comment

There is a lot of diversity in Mali. These are kids from Timbuktu:

The lighter ones are Tauregs. Askia wasn't a Taureg, though. It's possible he was light-skinned but the game developers aren't going to do that since he's the only Black leader in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                            He is kinda black......
                            But I bet there's not just someone in a trailer video.....
                            How is he kinda black?
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I love how Albert feels the need to give us examples of black people. Then again he is a bit justified by Plomp's ignorance.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X