Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Units

Greetings!

So...I have heard that hexes will be able to hold one military unit and one air unit.

Does this mean that we will be able to base air units just anywhere? And what about Aircraft Carriers? Will they even exist? Or are we going to get stuck with something like the auto loading units for amphibious attacks?

Anybody know?
    I don't know what I've been told!
    Deirdre's got a Network Node!
    Love to press the Buster Switch!
    Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

If I understand the info already out, they've already stated that aircraft and missiles will be exceptions to the rule, allowing aircraft carriers and subs to carry missiles as in previous iterations of the Civ series. Sea transports for land units have been done away with; land units will "convert" to their own sea transports for the purposes of crossing water. This was done to simplify what was a tedious part of previous games.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs View Post
      Sea transports for land units have been done away with; land units will "convert" to their own sea transports for the purposes of crossing water. This was done to simplify AI invasion staging logic.
      Fixed.
      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Could you cite a source for that? I've only ever read that it was done for all players, not just the AI.

Comment

Could you cite a source for that?
          What do you mean by "source"? It's a pretty obvious reason if you consider that Civ and other strategy games often suffer from bad AI invasions. Getting rid of a big part of the staging problem should be helpful, no?

I've only ever read that it was done for all players, not just the AI.
          That's called marketing. Wouldn't be the first time when a simplification (of a deliberately friggin' complicated game) was called a feature.

Comment

I like this "simplification". In RON this gave actually very good results...
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Perhaps I've misread what you wrote. Are you saying it will only apply to the AI players or all players? Or are you saying something different altogether?

Comment

I think he's saying that it will apply to all players but that the reason was for AI purposes.

Comment

Ah, ok.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix View Post
                    I think he's saying that it will apply to all players but that the reason was for AI purposes.
                    I don't know if that was the reason for the change, but I do see clear benefits for AI programming.

It might have been made to make the game easer for people who are too lazy to plan ahead. Yes, that's in a strategy game. (Might need a /sarcasm tag here. )

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44 View Post
                      I don't know if that was the reason for the change, but I do see clear benefits for AI programming.

It might have been made to make the game easer for people who are too lazy to plan ahead. Yes, that's in a strategy game. (Might need a /sarcasm tag here. )
                      I am really grateful for this change. It does not bring strategic depth. This "planing" is trivial, but it adds unnecessary micromanagement in the game where you already have lots of it. This is really smart and good change. And if it makes AI better, it is only an extra plus in my book.
                      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Due to the scope of the game, many things can be dismissed as having little meaning. The thing is, all those small details add up to make a deeper game. To me, it's about removing features vs writing a good AI while adding more features. The former brings us closer to Risk (or was religion another thing not requiring strategic consideration?), while the latter can—in addition to a better challenge—provide much tedium-reducing automation (HoI3 will be a working example once Semper Fi is patched).

Comment

Except, lack of transports has been a real block of invasions in the real world.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yeah, and in the real world, archers in Argos and Mycenae couldn't exchange fire from inside their respective city walls. The Civ5 team doesn't seem to be prioritizing realism all that much...
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The Civ5 team doesn't seem to be prioritizing realism all that much...
                              i disagree, the Civ 5 impementation will be just as realistic as the Civ4 mechanics, (Stacks of Doom historicaly context?), which is not very when you get down to it. but thats fine IMO becuase ultimately its about player enjoyment, not accurate historical reenactments.

Comment

Working...
                              X