Poll: Your FIRST civ (like) game ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Your FIRST civ (like) game ?

Now I hope that this works.. What was your First CIV game?

Please write a reply also fun on what computer you played your first CIV game! I played CIV1 on my 286 PC. But not when CIV1 came out, it was later. So I did not played civ1 for a long time. My real first civ game that I played for a loooooooooooooooooong time was CIV2. I loved the advisors "Give my more soldiers noble leader..." (forgot the rest)

Players that started from CIV4, or Civ Rev are intresing for me, because I like to hear how the learning process worked out. I hope that CIV is not for the oldies that played civ since the early Civ1 or 2, but that they prove that you CAN learn to play civ from civ4!
    Civilization 1
    66.13%
    Civilization 2
    24.19%
    Civilization 3
    4.03%
    Civilization 4
    0.00%
    Call to power
    0.81%
    Call to power 2
    1.61%
    Civilization Revolution
    0.00%
    Alpha Centauri
    2.42%
    Civilization 5 will be my first civ game!
    0.00%
    I only remember that I play civ since they put bananas into the rescources
    0.81%
    Last edited by Beatie; May 24, 2010, 17:48. Reason: forget something...
    Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

CIV 4 is so different than civ 1 i don't think any specific strategies carry over. Three, I only played a few times before giving it up. There is some carry over from II but when I went back a year ago to play, I had forgotten most of the tricks specific to II.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

My first was in 1999, Civ II was installed on a PC on my ship and I started playing out of boredom, I didn't even own a PC at the time... a couple months later I was buying my first PC, a 450 Mhz Compaq Presario, just for the purpose of being able to play Civ II at home.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        CIV 4 is so different than civ 1 i don't think any specific strategies carry over. Three, I only played a few times before giving it up. There is some carry over from II but when I went back a year ago to play, I had forgotten most of the tricks specific to II.
        I do not agree, most players start from civ1 or civ2 and with every new version they add new things to the game, but the basic things stay the same. warfare is still the same until civ4. same as the tech tree. I think that a lot people who try civ4 to start from do not keep playing because of the high learning curve.

perhaps we all veteran players need somehow to help new players. well civ5 gets a entire new type of warfare so perhaps we be all noobs with the new civ
        Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

We do help the new players. All they have to do is post a question in these forums. This place is quite friendly to new players (unlike some other sites that will not be named)
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I remember there was an article in a gaming magazine, probably PC Gamer, that previewed Civ II before it was released. It had a pic of all the different units involved. I was mostly into wargaming at the time, but I kept going back to that article, thinking how interesting the game looked. I realize now that that is when the hook was set. These days, Civ is the about the only game I play.

Comment

Combat is actually quite different in earlier versions. One unit represented the whole stack. If it died in defense, the whole stack died. (A better way to reduce stacking than just banning it, in my opinion.)

In II we REXed like crazy. In three, the corruption limited empire size, making further cities useless. In IV, we grow carefully, based on finances for number of cities and health for city size. Different games with similarities. In V, we will still keep the one unit has a go at another unit at a time form (opposed to combination attacks/defenses) as in all the Civs. However, now we'll have hexes, ranged combat, and single stacking, so the battles are going to look a lot different than the SODs needed for Civ IV.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                Combat is actually quite different in earlier versions. One unit represented the whole stack. If it died in defense, the whole stack died. (A better way to reduce stacking than just banning it, in my opinion.)

In II we REXed like crazy. In three, the corruption limited empire size, making further cities useless. In IV, we grow carefully, based on finances for number of cities and health for city size. Different games with similarities. In V, we will still keep the one unit has a go at another unit at a time form (opposed to combination attacks/defenses) as in all the Civs. However, now we'll have hexes, ranged combat, and single stacking, so the battles are going to look a lot different than the SODs needed for Civ IV.
                Yes, very true indeed! I also remember that if you build a fortress and put a stack of units into it, that than that rule does not count, makes fortress importand. Also you cannot pass a fortress with units from the enemy. And the city's yes, fustrating that you cannot build to much city's...we learned that you need a good economy to grow your empire. Just look at the poll. It proves what I was afraid for (so far) civ have a small (in compare to other poplulair games) group of players that play civ since the beginning. I want to know why
                that is? TBS games do got more depth but are a lot more complexing that most RTS games. the basics of civ are not that dificult but to play the game at a higher level and enjoy it as well that a different story.

We have to tell the world how wonderfull it is to play civ games!
                perhaps all we need to tell is there is a website (Apolyton) where you can learn a lot from the other members.

Comment

I want to railroad my oceans again!

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
                    I want to railroad my oceans again!
                    You (like me) must have played call to power (2). i LOVED maglev's and city into (or under) water (in the late game).

Comment

No... he just placed a settler on a transport in Civ I and ordered it to (R)ailroad while in the ocean. Nothing like a railroad around the world!
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                        No... he just placed a settler on a transport in Civ I and ordered it to (R)ailroad while in the ocean. Nothing like a railroad around the world!
                        Woehahaha I see your point

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                          We do help the new players. All they have to do is post a question in these forums. This place is quite friendly to new players (unlike some other sites that will not be named)
                          I know, I know I used this site to improve my own game as well, loved everybody here

Comment

A friend of mine leant me Civ I after seeing me enjoying a vastly inferior game, he name of which I can't remember (or find. You had to deploy troops to space colonies which would periodically be attacked by aliens.) I only played one game of Civilization before going out and buying Civilization II. I can't remember the exact year, but I was in college at the time so it was sometime between 1996 to 1998.

I can't remember the specs of the PC. It was the worst PC I had ever bought. Costing me £600 at the time, made locally; it was late in arriving, broke down all the time and died a slow and painful death. A complete waste of money.

Comment

I first played Civ I on a freind's Amiga 500

When I got my own PC - a 386 SX25, 4mb memory, and a 60mb hard drive - Civilization was amongst the first games I played.

I still have Civ I on my mobile phone (using DOSbox)

Comment

Working...
                              X