Anyone else getting nervous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else getting nervous?

I mean, the supposed release date is less than four months away. We've barely heard a word about the game since the initial announcement, and there's really not much time left until release. I would normally expect there to have been a slew of developer updates and interviews and previews on all the major gaming sites, but we've gotten squat.

Either the release date is going to get pushed back--way back--or we're gonna get served a **** sandwich and be told that it is filet mignon.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Maybe Steam is wrong about the release date?

Comment

Not really. We had buck load of info heading our way at the start of the year. So we'll probably see a similar scenario at the end of the summer. Seems like the game is more or less done, with just some tweaks and minor features left to do. I kinda like that they didn't announce it too early (see Diablo 3).
      Civlegacy - Civilization V web site | Forums

Comment

I don't think Firaxis ever specified anything beyond "Fall 2010". So October, November, even most of December would still be within the promised window. Amazon and Steam have been listing September, but that's the start of fall. We shouldn't really throw Firaxis in the lake if it comes out in October or November.

OTOH, it might come in September. Hard to know really as you're right, there isn't much info yet.

Comment

I think you misunderstand. I don't care when it comes out; I'd be fine if it were delayed. I just want it to be good. I want it to meet and exceed the standards of CivIV.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I'd expect us to hear much more when E3 comes around.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Since Steam will be required, I could care less when Civ5 is released since I won't be buying it.
              The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Greybriar View Post
                Since Steam will be required, I could care less when Civ5 is released since I won't be buying it.
                Required? Where did you hear this?

edit: never mind, found it in other thread. Gonna have to agree with the person I quoted then.
                Last edited by Azuarc; May 13, 2010, 00:38.

Comment

I don't believe that it requires Steam. It's offered on Steam but given that Amazon have it on pre-order is a good indication that it'll be sold on DVD too. Unless I'm missing somthing.

Comment

It will require Steam for patches, MP and such AFAIU, but it won't require Steam to run, except for the first time.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                      I think you misunderstand. I don't care when it comes out; I'd be fine if it were delayed. I just want it to be good. I want it to meet and exceed the standards of CivIV.
                      I passed the nervous stage a while ago and have more or less resigned myself to playing Civ4 for a bit longer. I can think of worse fates.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I am also sceptical that they will manage to make a fine balance of all game elements with all the changes that they are making. I think changes are a good thing but with so many of them you need to have the time to make it right.
                        So far almost every new idea I have heard of seems OK and has the potential to work great if done right and integrated well into the game though.

The only thing I don't like on general principles is the paid DLC and possible dependance on steam.
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

I'm keeping the faith so far. All the info they have released indicates they are trying to make a different game, yet still be the Civ we know and love. Sure, they will probably have to balance things a little differently after people have really disected the game, and played millions of hours... but that's what happened with Civ IV.

Vanilla was OK, and pretty playable overall. But BTS simply rocks.
                          That's the nice thing... over time, it will probably be a great game.

And if not... there is always BTS
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You are right that even if the game is weak when they release it, if they make it as moddable as they promise then eventually the community will make a good game out of it.
                            Last edited by Sir Og; May 19, 2010, 14:55. Reason: spelling...
                            Quendelie axan!

Comment

I'd be worried if I wanted to buy a game that had content stripped from it.
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X