Civilization V and Deluxe Edition available on Steam in September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization V and Deluxe Edition available on Steam in September

Steam offers Civilization V on Pre-Purchase for $49.99 on their website.
    It is available from September 2010 on, in addition, a $59.99 Deluxe Edition is available for pre-purchase. Everyone who pre-purchases either the regular or the deluxe edition now will receive an extra scenario: "Mespotoamia". The Deluxe Edition will also come with the the Babylonian civilization and Nebuchadnezar II as it's leader!

Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

First example of seperate available content for civ5, I think.
    I wonder if they will offer others as a price, or if they'll only be used for marketing purposes.

Comment

I'm sad to see them offering a low end version and a "deluxe" edition. Based on what you posted, it doesn't seem that you get a lot for the 10 extra bucks. Hopefully there is a lot more included

But my concern is about MP play. Will it consider them the same version, or will it cause problems like there are in Civ IV when people use different versions.

I have no problem when they release expansion versions... especially when they add nice features, clean up some of the old problems, correct some of the game problems that come up with more game play to judge them, include some nice senarios... but to release the original game in two versions seems like just a rip off. Yeah, I understand it's all about money, but it seems they are just wimping out at determining the proper price point for the intitial release.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

civ 4 was already released with a deluxe-edition.
        It shipped with a manual and a tech-tree or something. (and the music on cd)

Comment

Hope there'll be a physical deluxe edition as well even though it's going to be a steamworks game.
          2K's announced that Civilization V will get a Steam-exclusive special edition when it's released this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
            civ 4 was already released with a deluxe-edition.
            It shipped with a manual and a tech-tree or something. (and the music on cd)

That I don't mind... basically the difference in cost between a hard copy and a downloaded copy.
            But the actual game wasn't different. Everybody was playing the same game.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Charging for DLC...this doesn't sound good for the MP, or even for patching.

Starting to get a little bit nervous about CiV, after hearing this news.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Is it a scenario, or just a map pack? And I can only imagine that the Babylonians are actually included with everyone's game, it's just unlocked in the DDE. I wonder if these will be available for purchase in the future to people who don't pre-purchase the deluxe edition?

And I agree with you Ming, this doesn't really seem like enough to warrant an additional $10. Unless the CivII soundtrack is included, in which case I would snatch it up in a second!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                  That I don't mind... basically the difference in cost between a hard copy and a downloaded copy.
                  But the actual game wasn't different. Everybody was playing the same game.
                  And then the modders got to work. In the last 3-4 years I've played maybe one game straight out of the box.

I've just never cared for some of the design decisions Firaxis made, but I am VERY thankful that so much has become moddable.

Comment

While I like the graphics in some of the mods, it's only good for SP play. MP play is a different story. And it seems like right out of the box, there might be problems.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

So, looks like we have no choice but to use Steam. Well, I'm getting a hacked copy then.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                        Charging for DLC...this doesn't sound good for the MP, or even for patching.

Starting to get a little bit nervous about CiV, after hearing this news.
                        If they've got any sense it won't affect multiplayer. The easiest way to handly so-called DLC is actually to include e.g. the extra civ in the game, but just have a single flag that allows you to select that civ as playable. That way you can still play an MP game against someone with the extra civ even if you don't have it?

The prospect of a civ only available to those willing to buy the delux edition bothers me. Hopefully it is just a shameless attempt to rip of those daft enough to buy the deluxe edition, and will become available to everyone at some point, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that.

Comment

No physical version would make me quite sad, as Civilization manuals have always been a bastion of good, solid reading.
                          I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

It is available from September 2010 on, in addition, a $59.99 Deluxe Edition is available for pre-purchase. Everyone who pre-purchases either the regular or the deluxe edition now will receive an extra scenario: "Mespotoamia". The Deluxe Edition will also come with the the Babylonian civilization and Nebuchadnezar II as it's leader!

Just bought it. DeLuxe Edition.
                            RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas
                            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro View Post
                              Just bought it. DeLuxe Edition.
                              Am I the first?

I really doubt it.
                              RIAA sucks
                              The Optimistas
                              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Working...
                              X