Towns and City Radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towns and City Radius

One thing I found annoying in the previous installments of Civilization was that there were either unworked tiles between the cities or if that was to be avoided, the cities had to be spaced so close that they would have to have overlapping tiles.

Now, it is not yet clear how the city radius will work in Civilization V. There have been some hints that there might be a 3-tile city radius, though I am not sure this has been confirmed yet. Additionally, there are indications that borders will grow somewhat organically - spreading to some geographic areas faster than others, so it is feasible that city radius might work in a similar manner - perhaps it can spread 3-tiles (or even further) away from the city in a favorable direction, but the total number of tiles worked per city might be limited (or it might not - I don't know).

Regardless, I would like to see the ability to use workers to build towns (it would probably have to consume the worker). Building a town on an unworked tile next to a city's radius (however it may work) would enable the city's workable tile radius to expand to this tile. There might be limits on the number or distance (or both) of tiles that could thus be added depending on balance and/or gameplay considerations.

There are various alternate ways on how precisely this could function. Perhaps building a town on the border of a city's radius (might give a choice it the tile borders the radii of more then one city) would consume the worker and add +1 to the population of the nearby city. Since it might be too difficult to mess with the city screen to include a tile beyond the city radius there (then again, it might not be too difficult - we just don't know how it functions yet), the tile would rather be automatically worked and the extra population added would consume food in the city, but not be usable for anything else. The town might get its own animation on the map and may limit the types of improvements that can be added to the tile (perhaps limiting it to non-productive improvements, such as roads and railroads) - if this option were chosen, it would still incentivize good city placement to ensure that tile improvements can be utilized in full.

Anyway, this is something that has always bugged me in the previous versions of Civilization and I would love to see this resolved.
    Rome rules

A more flexible, natural system would be preferable IMO. Maybe each city can grow out to 3, and you can assign which city gets a tile that is shared. But, city growth and progressive game limits grow only gradually. So it isn't so critical to "space out" cities and watch out for maximum potential.

Comment

Well, another thing I would love to see would be the ability to 'overwork' a tile, meaning assigning more than one 'worker' to the same tile - either from the same city or from different cities. Of course, unless we wanted to allow abuse, the subsequent 'workers' would not produce at the same efficiency as the first one. Perhaps the second worker on the same tile would only get 50% efficiency. We could stop at allowing two 'workers', or we could have the ability to have more, but with subsequently lower efficiencies (25%, 12.5%, 6.25% and so on), so it would only be useful to have a large number of 'workers' only on the most productive tiles.

This system would help ensure that larger cities don't suddenly cap-out as far as working the land goes and also that cities close together are not as disadvantaged in the long-term as in previous installments of Civilization.
      Rome rules

Comment

I do not like idea of requiring workers that are consumed for tile expansion. That would make too much micromanagement - you would have to produce tons of workers if you have sizable civilization.
        The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
        certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
        -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
          I do not like idea of requiring workers that are consumed for tile expansion. That would make too much micromanagement - you would have to produce tons of workers if you have sizable civilization.
          Well, it would only apply for tile expansion beyond the normal city radius...

I don't know if it could be balanced without the worker consumption - perhaps it could, but worker consumption seemed reasonable to me (with the population added to the city).
          Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
            RifE is like this. You can fishing net every water tile. So you use tons of work boats. It's actually not that bad.

I don't agree with your micromanagement concern... there's not much additional micro added by having to build more units. The micro is in moving them around and telling them what to build and where. And that's not changed either way.

Comment

I'm the one that keeps talking about 3-hex radius. I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't find it now. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking.

Ah! Found it!

Last edited by Donegeal; April 14, 2010, 18:23. Reason: Found post stating 3 hex radius for Civ V
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

is this not a fancy way of describing moving population from one city to another.

build worker in City A, move to City B and Join City (which i remember from Civ 2)

i dont agree with the mechanic for generating a new border using workers, its just too exploitable imo, better the system where as city grows and new citizen is available for work then you plonk him beside an already worked square (which is my impression of how civ V will work?).

i dont see a need for a link between workers and citizens working tiles, otherwise i would argue then that i should see all my citizans working tiles.

my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                  I'm the one that keeps talking about 3-hex radius. I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't find it now. ....
                  3-hex city radius was confirmed in this interview (in Russian) with Dennis Shirk
                  Некоторые вопросы, касающиеся новой «Цивилизации» нам помог прояснить продюсер Деннис Ширк, с которым мы пообщались по почте. Какие типы победы появятся в Civilization V? Можно ли надеяться на что-…
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

Thanks a lot Sir Og!
                    Interesting quote here:

The game uses three to four basic resource. "Food" and "production" remained exactly as they are accustomed to veterans series. But the familiar concept of trade are no more. "Gold" and "science" is now divided and "mined" in different ways. This encourages players to long-term planning of empires, and bad practice to pull up and down sliders distribution of money each turn optimizing costs, disappearing.

(source: google translation)

I think that's a simple but good innovation!
                    It stops us from easily switching from commerce to science, but forces us to plan more forward, and it also forces us more to specialize cities.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                      3-hex city radius was confirmed in this interview (in Russian) with Dennis Shirk
                      http://civgames.wordpress.com/2010/0...8%D0%B3%D1%80/
                      Nice - thanks for the info! I definitely approve of the expansion of city radius.

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                      Thanks a lot Sir Og!
                      Interesting quote here:

The game uses three to four basic resource. "Food" and "production" remained exactly as they are accustomed to veterans series. But the familiar concept of trade are no more. "Gold" and "science" is now divided and "mined" in different ways. This encourages players to long-term planning of empires, and bad practice to pull up and down sliders distribution of money each turn optimizing costs, disappearing.

(source: google translation)

I think that's a simple but good innovation!
                      It stops us from easily switching from commerce to science, but forces us to plan more forward, and it also forces us more to specialize cities.
                      This change also sounds very good to me.
                      Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                      X