Hexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hexes

I must admit that I like the idea of hexes, as the problem of diagonals will disappear. It also just looks cool.

That said, it seems that the keyboard movement interface will be more counterintuitive as a result. At the moment we can use arrow keys and the keypad to move units in 4 or 8 directions respectively. This will become less intuitive to do if there are 6 directions and I do often prefer to use the keyboard to clicking with the mouse.
    Rome rules

Yeah... if you are a keyboard buff, it will be just a little weird at first, but I'm sure you will get use to it quickly.
    Since I never use the key board, it won't make a bit of difference using the mouse

Since I'm an old board gamer, hexes will be wonderful!
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
      Yeah... if you are a keyboard buff, it will be just a little weird at first, but I'm sure you will get use to it quickly.
      I hope so!

Anyway, hexes will make maps more 'organic', so that's a good thing.
      Rome rules

Comment

They could use letters... for example, r-t-g-v-c-d forms a hexagon. g makes the unit go east, t makes it go northeast, d makes it go west, etc. And then f can mean fortify.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          They could use letters... for example, r-t-g-v-c-d forms a hexagon. g makes the unit go east, t makes it go northeast, d makes it go west, etc. And then f can mean fortify.
          I like this idea - it could work.
          Rome rules

Comment

What is wrong with the numpad option 7 - up-left; 8 - up; 9 - up-right; 1 - down-left; 2 - down; 3 - downright?

Seems perfectly easy to understand.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

That's great if you have a numeric keypad. Some lap tops don't
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                That's great if you have a numeric keypad. Some lap tops don't
                They have Fn+NumLock instead.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

exactly... hit the numlock key first.... or switch to that new invention called the mouse lol
                  GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Anyone who's complaining about a laptop not having a numeric keypad doesn't really have a leg to stand on considering that would affect however they've been playing Civ as well.

I'm fine with 789-123. Might be a little weird, but it's intuitive enough. Really all that's taken from us is due east and due west.

I'm curious if the fact that units will get to move two or more times will lead to people being more or less likely to use the keyboard for movement. Moving cavalry and across roads is more of a pain on a keyboard when you can one-click it on a mouse, but OTOH the no stacking rules and such are going to more greatly facilitate wanting to route the unit yourself, so you'll be two-clicking anyway. I'd rather two-key than two-click.

Comment

I have concerns about the current one-pathing done in Civ 4. Often, you hold the mouse and see where the unit is going to go to get there, and then when you let go the unit takes a totally different route.

So, I agree it's a concern, but its a concern that doesn't work now.

Comment

In II i used the number pad, but in IV I use the mouse so I won't have an issue.

Yeah, I hate the unit taking a different route, since I lose workers that way.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Anyone who's complaining about a laptop not having a numeric keypad doesn't really have a leg to stand on considering that would affect however they've been playing Civ as well.
                          Just because past versions are poorly suited for laptop play does not mean future versions need to be. It's called innovation.

Originally posted by Azuarc View Post
                          I'm fine with 789-123. Might be a little weird, but it's intuitive enough. Really all that's taken from us is due east and due west.
                          Based on the screenshots it appears that the map lets you move due east and due west but not due north and due south. 789-123 would not be intuitive at all. 741-963 is more intuitive but even that is inferior to r-t-g-v-c-d.

Comment

My favourite chatline! Housewives who want to talk to you!
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I have a question, and this is probably the thread closest to it.

If units can only occupy one tile, will transport ships only be able to hold one unit? If not, how will loading and unloading work?

Will units on a tile have a given size (barbarian: 1, tank: 20)? Will transport ships have a maximum unit size that they can transport?
                              Fool me once, shame on you.
                              Fool me twice, shame on me

Comment

Working...
                              X