No "Road Spaghetti" in civ5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No "Road Spaghetti" in civ5

Yesterday gaming blog Kotaku already wrote a story about the GDC demonstration of Civilization V. Today they continue this story by zooming in on "road spaghetti", or better, the lack of.
    Stephen Totilo noticed the lack of many roads on the maps, even in the late game. About the early game Totilo said: "you’d expect to have a single road", but "this type of clean look appeared even in the more evolved communities I was shown."

In turns out that Firaxis is trying to give roads more meaning. "Even a single road will have relevance and feel as special as a key highway does in the real world." Eventhough he did not got many answers, Totilo writes: "they prepared me for a Civ that will not wind up, in its end game, with a spaghetti tangle of roads networking a major nation and its big cities."

Read the article on kotaku.com

Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

heard that before.
    it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

civ4

Comment

Would have been nice to get a more convincing picture!
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I mean, there's unlikely to be road spaghetti in any version of Civ when you've only built one road.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

So far it's as with civ4, early on we only get ancient age screenshots. Apparently there were late-game screens at GDC but apparently nobody made pictures or a movie of that. (prohibited?)

Comment

Just thinking about how the armies are now so spread out, it seems like that would encourage huge road networks. Assuming that roads still give movement bonuses, that is.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

it'll be interesting to see how they try to increase the opportunity cost of building a road this time.

massive time investment?

maintenance fee?

consumes a worker?

precludes other terrain enhancements?
                it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

IT would be unrealistic to have it preclude other terrain enhancements, since improvements encouraged roads and roads encouraged improvements.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Maintenance fee would be more realistic. Another possibility would be a cost to construct as well.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

If the road has other values than Maint. might not be enough to deter.
                      Currently in CIV IV roads are critical in defending your empire. Since enemies destroy the road they're on when they attack, it's to your benefit to have roads in every square to assist defending. Now if that's not an issue then it's different.
                      And the though of a few warriors pillaging an expressway has always amused me.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if they adopted the CivRev mechanic for roads (you pay a lump sum to build a road between two cities you own, with no option to build them elsewhere).
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

How did they handle resources since building roads to expedite their use is pretty basic in reality.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There are no resources in CivRev. There are tile bonuses that effect the city production on that tile, but that's it.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              If the road has other values than Maint. might not be enough to deter.
                              Currently in CIV IV roads are critical in defending your empire. Since enemies destroy the road they're on when they attack, it's to your benefit to have roads in every square to assist defending. Now if that's not an issue then it's different.
                              And the though of a few warriors pillaging an expressway has always amused me.
                              That's why I build them everywhere. If there was a cost associated with roads it might not be worth it to road areas that aren't likely to be attacked.
                              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Working...
                              X