Anti Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Piracy

I wonder what kind of protection they are going to use for Civ V.
    Are we going to be stuck with a bunch of stuff that the pirates can get around anyway.

I really don't mind things like online registration, but I'm totally against games that you have to have an online connection to play.

And frankly, having to keep the CD in the machine to play is annoying. It doesn't stop the pirates, and just makes it a pain for honest users.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

There's no ideal solution. But I agree the protection is a pain for honest users.

Comment

I've seen some games where you need to have access to the internet to play. I hope they don't go that route.
      There are times when you don't have access to the net, and playing Civ is one of the best options to waste some time
      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Agreed!

Comment

Pirates will get around it anyway, but apparently the game will be available on Steam. Games that are on Steam only use Steam itself as a means of protection, instead of whatever retail copies may use. If so, it means you can play while offline (except for the first time). At least hopefully
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Direct2drive for me. I'm a convert now.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There's no indication yet that Civ5 will be available there, though. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but D2D uses different patches and so is incompatible with patches released by the developers.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
                There's no indication yet that Civ5 will be available there, though. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but D2D uses different patches and so is incompatible with patches released by the developers.
                Sure... If you buy the game from D2D you need to get the patches from them. But they seem identical to the those released by the devolopers. We've had no problems with MP games, and that's where the problem would stand out. Whenever a new patch comes out from the deveopers, D2D is up to date with the same patch.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Agree! Very bad idea to need a internet connection at all times to play the game! What if you like to play with your laptop on holliday for example? So what does people do? Find a crack to play the game offline!
                  Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

I've never had any problems with D2D patches in MP. And there never was really any large lag in delivering new patches.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I agree with the general sentiment here. Anti-piracy measures inconvenience honest users, not pirates. Ironically they can make being an honest user less convenient than being a pirate.

Comment

I'm not as bothered by having to have the disc in the drive (though I can understand the issues with misplacing or breaking it), but it better not require an internet connection.
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I've had better luck with Impulse than Steam. Stardock has done a fantastic job of rewarding people who buy their games. Of course, 2K won't ever let Firaxis go that route.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                            I've seen some games where you need to have access to the internet to play. I hope they don't go that route.
                            There are times when you don't have access to the net, and playing Civ is one of the best options to waste some time
                            Agreed! I regularly play Civ when the net is unavailable at home (or at the airport - I'm not paying $7 for two hours of Internet), and would probably have to bypass Civ5 if it required an Internet connection for multiplayer.

I'd rather not have a Steam requirement, either. Partly because Steam is rather slow to get loading, and I like to get to the Civ part of Civ. Partly because it would be tragic if Valve went under and it meant no more playing Civ. And partly because my friends might send me to some sort of Civ rehabilitation clinic if they saw how much I played Civ when I'm really into it.

Actually, forget the last part. They'll all be playing Civ5 like crazy when it comes out, too, so no worries about that!

Comment

Solution to piracy ? Why, a fleet of frigates cleans those pesky SOBs out of the way...
                              "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                              X