No announcement yet.

Civ V Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a question that some here may think more appropriate for another forum but since I've come to despise OT (and wont post there for the nonce) I've decided to cleverly couch my question in Ci V terms.

Do you think there will be annoying squirrels in Ci V (as a replacement for barbarians) and if so what's the best way to deal with them, traps or shooting?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Shooting if you are any good at it. Traps will work. In Civ 5, ambushes will be best.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

• Release date confirmed to be September 1 on Steam.

Available: September 1st, 2010

This game will unlock in approximately 5 months, 1 week, 4 days and 17 hours

Create, discover, and download new player-created maps, scenarios, interfaces, and more!
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• MrWhereItsAt...
            Aro...

I LOVE seeing the oldtimers coming out of the woodwork!
            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              Release date confirmed to be September 1 on Steam.

Available: September 1st, 2010

This game will unlock in approximately 5 months, 1 week, 4 days and 17 hours

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50100/
              Store release dates are just their to drum up pre-sales, until 2K releases a date I wouldn't beleive any retailer.

CS
              Global Admin/Owner
              Civilization Players Leagues
              www.civplayers.com
              http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                MrWhereItsAt...
                Aro...

I LOVE seeing the oldtimers coming out of the woodwork!

New ciV, old farts

Good to see you too.
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

• Originally posted by Aro View Post
                  Same here.
                  same, but not in that much hurry
                  Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

• No stacking kills the game for me, I learned from the AI how best to use this feature, hated it at first, now I love it. Also Religion when first introduced was something I said HUH! Now Religion linked with Culture is amazing, doing away with this aspect also kills it for me.

I will seriously consider not buying 5 if this is the case!
                    Last edited by 1Razor; June 2, 2010, 12:07. Reason: Spleling
                    Gaming: Silverstone TJ07, Asus P5Q Del, Q9550 @3.2, GTX285, 4Gb OCZ PC8500, 750GB Spinpoint F1, Corsair HX1000, Dell 2408WFP, WinXP SP3. Folding: Antec 300, Asus P5Q Del, Q9550 @3.2, 2*8800GT, 4GB Corsair PC6400, 750GB Spinpoint F1, Corsair HX620, Win7 x64. Folding: Antec 300, Asus P6TD Del, i7 920 @3.8, 9800GTX+8800GT, 6GB Corsair PC12800, 1TB Spinpoint F1, Corsair HX1000, Win 7 x64.

Comment

• Ok, you just mentioned two features that you originally hated and now can't live without.

Don't you think it would best to be opened minded about new things in V since you might learn that you can't live without them either.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I actually like the no unit stacking. I've been forced to utilize the Stack of Doom against my will since Civ 3. If I do end up getting CiV, I will enjoy that.

Not sure what to think about the hexes, though. They do make the maps look better, but not being able to move north and south is kinda dumb, but I've been playing wargames my entire life, so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

The Steam thing is the only thing I don't like so far. I suppose it might be worth looking into, but something in my gut doesn't like it.

Just saw that the Civ 5 site is up. I'm leaving here and going there for a while.
                        I don't know what I've been told!
                        Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                        Love to press the Buster Switch!
                        Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

• Late again (old Dr. Smith Syndrome I guess): Well, lately I played a Civ III game (The best of the series so far), and I had it arranged like the Genographic Project (a real world research project of Civilization development). And I came up with some interesting results like the Cro-Magnon eastern invasion and the later agriculture/metallurgy invasion from the mid-east. I am happy to read that Civ V will have less AI cheating . . . this is a real problem at higher levels. I remembered someone re-programmed the chess game to cheat if it was mated by moving pieces. The other item which interested me was improved naval warfare in Civ V. I am surprised that The Ancient Art of Naval Warfare still has some of the best naval battles with PC games. I always make armies . . . so I hope the stacking rumor does not apply to the formation of armies. The DS game really turns into various directions with this feature. I find the AI in CIV III likes to invade and overrun . . . if they do not attack my outpost then I find drafting helps me to wipe out their so-called super invasion forces. True, Diplomacy is weak in CIV III, but if I did counter invade, I would find their cities not defended at all unless the AI did cheat. And what about those barbarians . . . ?
                          Last edited by SSBLoveU; June 19, 2010, 13:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                            This is a question that some here may think more appropriate for another forum but since I've come to despise OT (and wont post there for the nonce) I've decided to cleverly couch my question in Ci V terms.

Do you think there will be annoying squirrels in Ci V (as a replacement for barbarians) and if so what's the best way to deal with them, traps or shooting?
                            Boshko is best dealt with flatery
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher View Post
                              Boshko is best dealt with flatery
                              I have no idea what that means. In answer to my own question, I decided to go with a slingshot.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

• For those few following the inclusion of barbarian squirrels in Civ5. They seem to have disappeared (which is somewhat ironic now that I'm becoming pretty accurate with a slingshot). I guess I ran em off with the weak bleach mixture I chased em with. Maybe they thought I was a skunk!

Comment

Working...
                                X