Terrain: Civ or SMAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jac de Molay
    I like the elevated terrain as well, but the SMAC color scheme sucks. Pinkish fungus? Bleh. Dull green forests? Keep the elevated terrain, just spice it up a little.
    sums it up perfectly...just dont' use TOT colors either
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I think using an elevated terrain would be a great idea. However, there should be new re-workings on just how far different the elevation of two close squares can get. Basically, if you terraform a one-square island in the middle of the ocean into the tallest mountain possible, it probably shouldn't look like a giant square or pyramid on the map.
      Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
      +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
      http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

I would vote for elevated because then it adds modifiers for whoever holds the higher ground.

Perhaps the programmers could add something to say that 100 feet equals a .05 advantage... or .1... whatever.

That way, the advantages could add up and you could have something like the Charge Of the Light Brigade fail against a better-entrenched foe!

Perhaps the higher unit could have defensive bonuses for height as well

IT would add a new level of strategy!
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I will start off with the statement that I really liked the overall 'look' of the SMAC terrain.

But 'looks' do not necessarily translate into good gameplay. The basis for my statement is 'at a glance...'

- 3-D SMAC terrain was hard to distinguish. You had to click on a tile to see exactly what type it was. Flat tile can be distinguished at a glance.

- 3-D SMAC terrain also gave you tiles that were either diamond-shaped (good) or sliver-shaped (very bad). The end result was a visually crowded map on the slope of a mountain. Again destroying the 'at a glance' concept.

I vote for flat
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by panag
            we should get hills in the dessert also
            Not everyone likes a hill in his dessert.

Oh, and my vote is flat, unless the altitude has a function as it has in SMAC. But even then, the elevation shouldn't distort the tile that much. Make it less steep, as was mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Not everyone likes a hill in his dessert.

Oh, and my vote is flat, unless the altitude has a function as it has in SMAC. But even then, the elevation shouldn't distort the tile that much. Make it less steep, as was mentioned.
              hi ,

thats why it should go into the editor , this way both the people who like it and who dont like it are happy , ......

but since hills are present in almost every dessert , it seems more then normal to put sand hills or dunes into the game , .....

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

My opinion would be a the elevted terrian, allowing for a greater variation in terrain in the world(plateaus, varying kind of mountains(like the difference b/w the Applalachian mountains and the Rockies). To me it would allow for a more complete experience. I think that the main things going against SMAC's terrian was the coloration of the tiles, very odd looking somtimes. But a combination of the elevated terrain with the detiailed flat system would not only look good but provide a more interesting game play.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
                  but since hills are present in almost every dessert , it seems more then normal to put sand hills or dunes into the game , .....
                  Actually, I have nothing against sand dunes and hills in the desert.

But keep them out of my dessert!

Comment

Working...
                  X