Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the least necessary feature of each Civ game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the least necessary feature of each Civ game?

To continue he comparation, let us discuss what features of each Civ game were the greatest waste of code and disk space. I'd like examples that neither made the game better nor worse.

Civ 1: The copy protection quiz
    I am convinced that the copy protection quizzes in the games of the early 90's worked to some extent, but why bother to make one which pops up in mid-game, is soluble from gameplay knowledge and is merciful enough to let you continue the game even if you were wrong. Microprose were lucky because enough people are law-abiding and pay for their games.

Civ 2: The Throne Room
    You soon get tired of building the Palace in Civ 1 & 3, but the Throne room in Civ 2 wasn't even exciting in the beginning.
    Last edited by Optimizer; January 19, 2003, 19:57.
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

There are always units/buildings that never get built. I think the worst ones are some of civ3's later units......paratroopers for example.

Comment

Paratroopers can be good though. They were very effective for the AI in Civ2.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

They're a useable unit in civ2, though not great. It was Civ3 to which I was referring though......where they, not to put too fine a point on it, suck donkey balls.

Comment

The explorer unit, useless in civ2, beyond useless in civ3.

The galleon/frigate magnetism combo never sees much action.

Stealth fighter AND bomber in civ3. One unit is more than enough to represent these modern day Zeppelins.

Radar artillery. Never even seen it.

Colonies, hardly ever had a reason to build one.

Fortresses and airbases are only sporadically useful in all civ games.

Freshwater Sea in SMAC only appeared very occasionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            The explorer unit, useless in civ2
            Don't let any of the 2x production 2x movement King level Civ2 MPers hear you say that. It is a very popular unit amongst that crowd.........and sometimes useful in SP.

In Civ3 I totally agree though.

Comment

SMAC-some of those unit abilities that come in really late like grav struts and cloaking device. the game is wrapped up long before then. oh, and the ability to get singularity reactors before quantum is a bit odd

civ3 - resources

/me ducks

Comment

Civ3 - seagoing units. Seriously, blockading was a pain... well, maybe I just didn't know how to use them.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Most people didn't like the non-lethal bombardment from sea and air. They changed it so it was an option whether some bombardment could kill in later patches though.

Comment

Really difficult choice. In SMAC, I'd say sea pods, but I know there are people who positively adore them.
                    "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                    "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

the explorer is a great unit in king x2x2 games....6 MP allows you to grab those unguarded cities by trireme....

but i dont' play that arcade crap anymore
                      Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Seriously, you folks are missing the point. Lots of those things should have been important parts of the game but weren't for one reason or another.

Least necessary features are things like the detail map in SMAC. I bet most of you didn't even know it existed.

Someone prove me wrong by telling me where it is?

Comment

In smac, the least necessary feature, is propably the altitude-map. It does not add to the gameplay - it only slows older pc's down.
                          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Well, I don't know where the detail map in SMAC is, but I never read the manual

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Civ 2: All the zoom levels
                              The difference between industrial society and information society:
                              In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
                              In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Working...
                              X