No announcement yet.

Copy of Civilization I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do gaming magazines get away with giving it away with a bunch of other games, seems to me unless they pay a fee, if they are giving it away (got it in the civ3 review) that would be the same as someone pirating it off the net?
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Well, they are either

a)Shareware games.

b)Demo games (Like one level)
      or
      c)They payed to produce it (v. unlikley)
      How can you defeat an enemy which will never accept defeat?

Comment

There are now three threads in a row that talk about violating copyright infringment of games!?

So long...
        Last edited by The Pioneer; February 10, 2003, 03:02.
        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Civ I should sell for maybe a dollar (in a dollar store, if you can find one), and the demand is not very great. It's worth a couple dollars for a magazine to obtain the right to sell it, so that is probably legit.

One potential problem with Civ I and other older games: today's computers run much faster than these games are used to, so you might get dizzy playing it. When an old game is repackaged and sold in stores, the company sometimes adjusts these speeds. The Ultima series had that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Allemand
            Civ I should sell for maybe a dollar (in a dollar store, if you can find one), and the demand is not very great. It's worth a couple dollars for a magazine to obtain the right to sell it, so that is probably legit.

One potential problem with Civ I and other older games: today's computers run much faster than these games are used to, so you might get dizzy playing it. When an old game is repackaged and sold in stores, the company sometimes adjusts these speeds. The Ultima series had that feature.
            SMAC is sold for a 99cents in my compusa... if civ1 is sold for 99cents.. that would be a rip off!
            :-p

Comment

MicroProse has the smelly idea to join the club of companies preferring that their unsellable and unavailable old games stay unavailable rather that letting people get them free...

Edited by Ming... I removed your link. This site does not support or condone the illegal use of software.

If you post the link again, you will be restricted.
              Last edited by Ming; February 19, 2003, 18:38.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
                There are now three threads in a row that talk about violating copyright infringment of games!?

So long...
                How do you "violate an infringment"????
                I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Curiosity:

When you speak of "Civ I", do you refer to the DOS version, or to the Windows version?

I remember I had played a lot of the DOS version.
                  I was still studying back at the time.
                  I kept erasing the game off my hard disk, but kept reinstalling it shortly after.
                  In the end, I packed the 3"5 floppies (3 of them, IIRC?) and gave them to my father to keep'em, or I won't have finished my studies.

Unfortunately WinCiv came out eventually, and then Civ II, and it took me the same a LONG time to complete my universitary studies...

WinCiv was a huge leap in the interface, but it was mostly the same game.
                  "Mostly", as (if I recall) there WERE nevertheless some minor differences in the gameplay... so, it *could* make sense to differentiate the two versions....
                  I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Please keep this thread to discussing LEGAL places to purchase games. Just because a company no longer distributes or supports a game, doesn't mean that they have lost the rights to the game.

Thank you
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

i'm sure if you searched ebay lone enough a copy would pop up.. i did see a copy the other day but i cant rember where.. i could not imagine it going for more than a few bucks at most...
                      I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

Ok Ming I give up helping people .
                        Dead companies needs no lawyers, they have forum mods

If any legal action is to be undertaken against abandonware site you could let the copyright owners do it, no ? I posted a link to a totally legal and unhidden site, get it by a 2 words Google search...

Oh sheesh ...

Comment

Look, it's called "better safe than sorry". I support the Mods and Owners in their moratorium on illegal software. I like this site and the forum very much and would not appreciate it if it went down in flames. Plus, this is not a forum for the discussion of illegal software. I'm sure therre are other places to find this information.

You could have just told him to Google search what you did, or posted a link to the google search, but it's a big no-no to directly link.

My feeling on the whole issue is that I enjoy these old games, and at times I may obtain them through dishonest means, but I try to purchase them whenever possible. Plus, I get bored of most games so quick I delete them after a week or so.
                          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                          New faces...Strange places,
                          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Why is this thread still open? The guy who started the thread has only posted one message at Poly, and that was on the day he registered last July. I'm sure if he really wanted Civ I, he's got it by now.

Case closed.
                            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Nothing illegal here. If the original poster indeed purchased the game several years ago, he owns a license and does not infringe anyone's rights when downloading the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne
                                Curiosity:

When you speak of "Civ I", do you refer to the DOS version, or to the Windows version?
                                ... ...
                                at least there are 3 different "civ.1" games:

1. civ.dos
                                2. civ.net
                                3. winciv / civilization for windows

Comment

Working...
                                X