Mighty Bradman - PLEASE give us a DATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty Bradman - PLEASE give us a DATE

Could u tell us (the loyal Mac gamers) what the excact date will be that Civ III will be in the store (or atleast a month?) I would be very very very very thankfull....

Let me quote comp.sys.mac.games.strategy here:

In article <01HW.B7F9AFA50013944A066D1670@news.swcp.com>,
    Balveda wrote:

>Then why say anything at all then? What's the point of saying "Coming Soon"
    >if you can't tell us what "soon" means? Just keep quiet about it and when
    >it's ready release it otherwise you just look like a jerk.

To recap, a few facts:

1) Aspyr/MacSoft holds the porting/publishing contract on Civ III.

2) Brad Oliver is one of Aspyr/MacSoft's top coders and had previously
    worked on SMAC/SMAX.

3) Given 1 and 2, Brad Oliver is the most likely person to be assigned to
    porting Civ III.

4) Brad Oliver is a regular participant of this NG.

5) People know Brad Oliver is a regular participant of this NG.

6) Given 3, 4, and 5, someone here specifically asked Brad if he could
    comment on Civ III.

7) Brad Oliver is strictly a coder who lurks here out of his own goodwill
    and is not an official representative of Aspyr/MacSoft.

8) Brad Oliver, being the nice guy that he is, gave the only answer that
    he could: "Coming Soon."

9) Long-time Mac gamers and NG regulars know "Coming Soon" to mean "We're
    working on the port, we have no definite release date, we don't have the
    resources to waste on supporting a buggy, premature release so it will be
    done when it's done." (Credits to Blizzard's Brian Love.)

10) Given 6, 7, 8, and 9, only a loud-mouthed jackass would berate Brad
    for being a nice guy and giving the only answer he could, an answer which
    the rest of us understand perfectly well.

Hope this helps.
    Steamweasel: will change pbem strategy gaming on the mac. http://steamweasel.sourceforge.net
    --> We still need helpers, contact me ASAP!

Comment

Everyone:

I am more than willing to wait months for a bug-free port of Civ III to the Macintosh.

It's too bad that the PC version fell victim to the "rush," so to speak, and I see no reason why the Macintosh version should have the same indignity put onto its shoulders. Patience is a virtue in this case. Make good use of it; I am by remaining "hooked" on Civ II.

My wishes for best of luck to the porting team.

CYBERAmazon
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Damn chill guys I was just curious... and if I have to wait 6 months so be it but I was just curious...

Comment

he's already said it'll probobly be out in spring.

have you read any other threads in this forum before you made this thread?
          Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

KOH:

Hmm ... I don't see anyone really freaking out in the thread. For that atmosphere, take a trip to the Civ III forums or, perhaps, the OT forum.

CYBERAmazon
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

if the game wasn't sent to market when it was,there would probably be no mac port at all.You can't port something that doesn't exist.Capitol.Thats the bottom line.

btw...some wizs have civ3 running on an emulator.Thats right an emulator.I can't beleive it.Maybe you don't need a mac version
              The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Hey Smash, is civ3 decent on your dell? aside from the bugs

Comment

yes its decent.It ain't no civ2 though.Everything has been simplified.
                  I haven't had any bug problems to speak of.I think many of the "bugs" are actually features.
                  I think it will look great on the mac.....civ2 looks much better on mac than pc.
                  There is alot of left and right clicking.Shift and control with a key type stuff.That might not be as good.With a 2 button mouse you can play entirely with the mouse.That part of the game is well laid out.
                  I kinda feel like I am playin a half finished game.
                  ...I guess I am
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Simplified in a bad way? Tech tree's been streamlined to the ground, or micro management is out the door at last?

Comment

Originally posted by Smash
                      yes its decent.It ain't no civ2 though.Everything has been simplified.
                      I haven't had any bug problems to speak of.I think many of the "bugs" are actually features.
                      I think it will look great on the mac.....civ2 looks much better on mac than pc.
                      There is alot of left and right clicking.Shift and control with a key type stuff.That might not be as good.With a 2 button mouse you can play entirely with the mouse.That part of the game is well laid out.
                      I kinda feel like I am playin a half finished game.
                      ...I guess I am
                      you haven't experianced the bomber bug? where your fighters can't stop them?

that seems like the worst bug i've heard of on the civ3 forums

Comment

hehehe..the bomber bug is easy to avoid.You should be able to control any map with:a-swordsman and later b-knights.Thats it.
                        I took one game to "modern" times but I couldn't get the ai to fight with aircraft.My embassys showed they had them...but..no sightings.I provoked,I did espionage,trespassing,unreasonable demands...they wouldn't attack with the aircraft.They did attack with mounted units ...those units don't do to well when bombarded to red by cannons
                        The ai still can't fight very well.It will send lots more units..but the result is the same.A few units,handled by a human can easily fend off any offensive attacks.
                        The ai defends it's cities very poorly.The most I have seen is 4 units in a capitol.It seems to have an uncontrollable urge to capture workers.Nothing wrong with that plan,cept it leaves it's crack units as sitting ducks just to capture a lowly worker.I'll trade 3 workers for 10 cavalry any day.

Simplified--my biggest dissapointment is the new trade system.You just build a road to some wine and every city connected by a road gets wine.Offshore you just build a harbor.
                        Or you trade for resources.There is no more managing of a trading company.If you don't fight,there is little to do with units.
                        They gave us a bunch more boats,but there is even less use for them than in civ2.
                        They could have removed or altered the caravan bonus...something..anything.But to totally eliminate it was a huge mistake..imo
                        One thing they did get right in this area is the strategic resources.Simply discovering a tech and new units is no good if you don't have the resources to build anything.IE: you can't build muskets without saltpeter.If you don't have any.....this is one gem in the game.You must trade for it or....go out and take it!
                        While this would be awful for Multiplay,it is an interesting twist for solo play.
                        The combat system needs some tweaking.I am getting a few of the civ1 results.Notably,an aircraft carrier sunk by a galley and a modern armor defeated by a lowly obsolete pikeman.If units from similiar ages go at it,it seems ok.But when you get a "mismatch" ..well it ain't a mismatch at all.For now,I have stopped upgrading units past muskets...whats the use?

Another thing that has changed for the bad is exploration.The ai expands so fast,there is nothing left to explore very quickly.Maps are filled.All the ai wants to do early,is build cities.Anywhere and everywhere.There are way less huts...I don't know....clearing the black was a big part of civ2.

Its good.But it could have been so much better.Way too much CtP and SMAC in the game.Its seems civ2 players were almost completely ignored.

Comment

wow, they don't use aircraft? i remember yang using aircraft on my in smac non stop. wondered what they screwed up there

Comment

not 1.Beats me why.I was playing a "lets see everthing first" type game at the regent level....maybe that had something to do with it.
                            I nuked every capitol to see and they did respond with 2 different civs nuking 8 cities.I wouldn't exactly call that brilliant ai,but at least they will respond in kind.

My bombers and fighters seem to miss ALOT.I tryed recog and then bomb,but it didn't seem to make any difference.

But a mac version won't have any of the "bugs"...the real ones anyway

If ain't too big an upgrade to my g3,and it is reasonably priced(pc version only 49.99 Canadian-.63 to 1 US dollar at purchase+$35 US)then I'll probably pick it up.

Comment

What Dell system did you buy? 4300? 8300? SS? specs? notice any slow scrolling or framerate drops?

just curious, especially whether or not your PC uses SDRAM or RDRAM. do tell.
                              Last edited by Wiglaf; November 26, 2001, 18:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X